SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ B777 withdrawal thread

I saw a blanked 777 in SQ colours at the maintenance bay (609) today. It's common for SQ 744 as they go hajj charters or to a new buyer, but a 777. Are they selling it off ? Anyone knows anything ?

Originally posted by boing View Post
    I saw a blanked 777 in SQ colours at the maintenance bay (609) today. It's common for SQ 744 as they go hajj charters or to a new buyer, but a 777. Are they selling it off ? Anyone knows anything ?
    Was it a -300?
    The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Some of SQ's 777s have already been sold -- with deliveries to the buyers starting this year and stretching over the next several years. I believe the 777s already sold are: 9V-SQA through 9V-SQH, 9V-SRA through 9V-SRE, and 9V-SYA through 9V-SYE.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
        ......... I believe the 777s already sold are: 9V-SQA through 9V-SQH, 9V-SRA through 9V-SRE, and 9V-SYA through 9V-SYE.
        Glad to see the SQ is getting rid of those older aircraft without AVOD. However, I thought all SY*, except for one, will be retrofitted to new regional C. Why would SQ do that if they have been sold.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
          Glad to see the SQ is getting rid of those older aircraft without AVOD. However, I thought all SY*, except for one, will be retrofitted to new regional C. Why would SQ do that if they have been sold.
          Because delivery is contracted far enough in the future to make the refit worthwhile. Keep in mind that aircraft require new interiors periodically even if the products are the same.

Comment

Depreciation

Because delivery is contracted far enough in the future to make the refit worthwhile. Keep in mind that aircraft require new interiors periodically even if the products are the same.
            The Singapore Government allows an accelerated depreciation schedule for SQ such that when they are short of income they can sell a few relatively new planes and the income drops straight to the bottom line because they are already fully depreciated. This also allows SQ the luxury of being able to upgrade its fleet constantly and achieve "One of the youngest fleets in the air". This is also known as soft protectionism.
            Round the Moon. And Back

Comment

I'm not sure of the model but it looks more like -200. Is it sold to another airline or sold to a financial institution and then leased back to SQ ? I have the pic but just can't paste it in here. And i *** have the reg

Comment

I'm not sure of the model but it looks more like -200. Is it sold to another airline or sold to a financial institution and then leased back to SQ ? I have the pic but just can't paste it in here. And i *** have the reg
                You will have to host the pic on imageshack or photobucket in order to share it here.

Comment

Photobucket

Drop the picture into Photobucket then post a link here. Not sure if SQTalk will allow you to embed it? Anybody know or perhaps Mods might comment?
                  Round the Moon. And Back

Comment

Managed to get the reg of the 777 in question. It's a 777-200 9V-SQB.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                      Managed to get the reg of the 777 in question. It's a 777-200 9V-SQB.
                      She's SQ's 2nd 777. She was delivered 18 July 1997. Soon EK rather than SQ will have the largest 777 fleet.

Comment

Nick C, you beat me to it. There's also SQA in full colours parked next to it. She was SQ's first 777 some time in May 1997. Wonder whether SQ is offering buy one get one free offer ! Sad to see these birds leaving. Till now, they are not giving any major problems.

Comment

Originally posted by flymeroundthemoon View Post
                          The Singapore Government allows an accelerated depreciation schedule for SQ. This is also known as soft protectionism.
                          Singapore Airlines follows accounting standards set out as required by the Singaporean authorities and regulators. There is no special "allowance" which seems to be implied.

As to "soft protectionism", disparities in accounting standards and other fiscal policies between countries are hardly new are they? SQ could say that 0% corporation tax enjoyed by Dubai is "soft protectionism". Emirates and the UAE Government would just turn to SQ and Singapore and say "match it if it bothers you that much".

Comment

Nick C, you beat me to it. There's also SQA in full colours parked next to it. She was SQ's first 777 some time in May 1997. Wonder whether SQ is offering buy one get one free offer ! Sad to see these birds leaving. Till now, they are not giving any major problems.
                            I flew -SQA to Mumbai at the end of Feb, it was probably one of my better flights in the non AVOD 772's.
                            The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Some of SQ's 777s have already been sold -- with deliveries to the buyers starting this year and stretching over the next several years. I believe the 777s already sold are: 9V-SQA through 9V-SQH, 9V-SRA through 9V-SRE, and 9V-SYA through 9V-SYE.

Would anybody know if Cebu Pacific (5J) bought any of the SQ 772s? it was reported in other forums that 5J wanted to buy 4 of the Sq 772s for regional and long haul expansion.

Comment

Working...
                              X