Kindly Recommend A Taipei Hotel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's why they call me sickboy

I don't know what caused it but I had to buy an overpriced packet of Aspirin at the pharmacy in the Howard Plaza (I remember it being somewhere below the ground floor in some "shopping arcade") ...

I just remember the 101 and the eslite bookstore in Taipei ... I totally need to go to that bookstore again, it was the best bookstore I've been to, ever.
    Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Funny you mention being sick - I had to also get the local equivalent of Panadol as soon as I arrived: I was directed across the street (hotel bakery exit).

Finding it was easy, discovering they were not familiar with Panadol wasn't..

Update after checking metro map: As for the subway for 101, I think first you start at Ta-An station across the road, then you need to transfer at Town/City Hall which is a fair bit away onto a bus, iirc...
      Last edited by Kyo; 3 February 2009, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Westin, baby...Westin!
        HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
          Westin, baby...Westin!
          Nice Lan Kwai Fong-style pub (Brass Monkeys) around the corner too.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Not really hotel related, as it seems that my travel agency has some great deals with the Howard Plaza /or the Landis .... but I thought about going to Hong Kong for 3 days or so, and be in TPE for 2 days ... anybody knows what would be the best way for me to fly to HKG?

My SQ flight (SQ 876) arrives in TPE at 13:20 - so I would miss the TG flight up to HKG. Meaning I cannot redeem *A miles to HKG. I looked at other airlines' homepages and only found rates that are 200 Euros+ return. Not that 200 Euros (10.000+ NTD) are too much, but is there a way to get those tickets any cheaper? I looked on EVA (not good, in terms of schedule), CI (dito), CX (good schedules, 11.000+ NTD) and KA (okay schedule but worse than CX, 10.000+ NTD) - so my questions are:

- How much transfer time would I need in TPE calculating, that my SQ flight might be delayed? I am just afraid I'd miss my flight.
            - Is there any airline I missed checking? Especially one that might be cheaper?
            - Did I get rates that are not the best ones that I can get?

Thanks. Not that I want to get out of TPE so desperately, I just think that 5 days would be quite some time there and given that I would have some things I could do in HKG anyway, I'd be open for that solution

Comment

I think you can get cheaper tix through a local Taiwanese TA. Someone can perhaps recommend one for you to contact.

Edit: you mentioned BR already! On separate tix, I usually allow 3 hours if I'm worried about a misconnect - long enough not to panic if (say) your incoming flight is 1 hour late.

Comment

Hah okay, then I will tell my daddy to call up the Taiwanese TA we know ... I hope they can give me a better price. Thanks

3hrs ... phew. But yes, makes sense: I'd have to get my luggage and check-in in TPE again for HKG. So that would make me leave TPE at 16:20 - actually okay, I'd be in HKG by 6 and in the city probably by 7, check-in and then still some night shopping. Awesome Thanks jhm!

Comment

Is there a reason why you would not want to fly SIN-HKG-TPE? Seems like less of a hassle.

Comment

Well I already got the (ARN-)FRA-SIN-TPE ticket here and I think if I called BD to change the ticket to HKG, they would route me ARN-FRA-HKG instead... well at least that's what three BD employees I called suggested. I'd rather do SQ C than LH C ...

Comment

You could just skip TPE altogether. Unless absolutely necessary, I would!
                      HUGE AL

Comment

I want to check it out again. I haven't seen all too much of TPE and I feel like I need to get in touch with the "real" TPE ... last time I was there, it was just utterly boring. Some people reassured me, though, that TPE is actually quite awesome if you know where to go.

Comment

Originally posted by flo View Post
                          I want to check it out again. I haven't seen all too much of TPE and I feel like I need to get in touch with the "real" TPE ... last time I was there, it was just utterly boring. Some people reassured me, though, that TPE is actually quite awesome if you know where to go.
                          Better to coordinate with taipeiflyer.
                          HUGE AL

Comment

Yeah I will. Ah and btw... my questions have become a bit obsolete now Thanks for the answers everyone!

Comment

Without doubt I would suggest Les Suites Ching Cheng. It's reasonably priced, has Apple Macs in the Lounge, a fab breakie spread, very comfy beds, Toto washlets, and has enough cool design to keep a certain Melbournite in clover.

It's within a 90 second walk of an MRT station and en route you pass a couple of pastry shops so you'll feel right at home. They also have taxi drivers outside who speak English.

At TPE be a little careful; I was approached by a tout asking if I wanted a taxi. He was dressed like a despatcher so I thought that was the real taxi service. Only when I saw signs for a taxi pointing in the opposite direction did I leave the guy behind. The genuine taxi queue had a desptacher who knew the hotel, told the driver where to take me, and that I have to pay a surcharge on trips into town. This I knew.

You know there is more than one Eslite don't you. The 24 hours store in Xinyi is probably the best, even has a gay section and is quite cruisy. Is there something you're not telling us Flo?
                              Last edited by VC10 Boy; 7 February 2009, 12:55 AM.

Comment

There's much I don't tell people ... I was referring to one near the 101. I remember going there the last time I was in TPE. It was a bookstore that had multiple stories and by far the biggest bookstore I've ever seen. I spent a whole evening there, browsing and getting some writing supplies. I want to check back and get another magnetic pencil case there, if they still have those. I will have to see for myself, I think ...

Comment

Working...
                                X