No announcement yet.

St. Regis Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting Front Desk they have eh JHM?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      interesting Front Desk they have eh JHM?

Comment

St Regis, Singapore
        29 Tanglin Rd

I stayed here for an overnight layover in Singapore, as this hotel is simply superb value for a Category 5 SPG Cash + Points redemption at USD90 + 4800 points. As I was spending less than 24 hours in Singapore, I felt uncomfortable paying anything more than USD150. I might not be too big a fan of St Regis, but after all I only need a clean comfy bed for some shut eye. So the Cash + Points option was a no brainer; considering it's regular rate of almost S$400, the Cash + Points option was virtually the equivalent of snatching candy from a baby.

The location of the hotel is also fantastic, just around the corner from Orchard Rd. Yes it's a bit like staying at Chadstone but personally I only have 2 main goals on any trip - shop till I drop, and drink till the last drop - the location of the St Regis is great for either of these!

On the other hand, perhaps I've been well spoilt by the homely service and edgy decor of the New Majestic, and the pampering of the Four Seasons - there wasn't much to like about the St Regis, value aside. The St Regis brand aspires to rival such ultra luxe names as the Four Seasons, the Shangri La etc. Leaving subjective opinions of decor and style aside, the service was a hit/miss and lacked the personalisation and warmth of what you'd expect from a top dollar hotel brand. It's almost as if they've taken the comments about 'too much' service to heart, and ended up with a rather perfunctory set of staff on the whole.

As my taxi drew up at the entrance of the St Regis (ps - the best way to direct taxi drivers here is to make reference to "that new hotel on Tanglin Rd"), a tired looking porter opened the door and wearily welcomed me to the hotel. He then proceeded to show me to the check in desks, where I was taken care of by a v nice check in agent. Said porter vanished, leaving my bag standing unattended in the middle of the lobby, which I'd only realised at the end of the check in process.

One of the few good staff members I encountered during my short stay was the very nice check in agent who led me to my room and whom I had a nice chat with. Suites were all booked up, and as a result I only got upgraded to a Grand Deluxe Room. I didn't mind so much for such a short stay. I'd let the pics do the talking but suffice to say - the St Regis Singapore's room decor was a little schizophrenic and incoherent in trying to blend some stylised modern bits and pieces with its overrall Old World theme. I had a some macaroons to welcome me to the hotel, but the welcome note was a generic computer generated one rather than one addressed to me personally. Other than that, I like the new hotel 'feel' as the property was still spotless and still had that new hotel smell. The room was also rather well appointed and functional. However some of the electronic lighting controls didn't work too well and required a few hard presses before the desired lights' setting was achieved.

20 mins after my arrival at the room, my butler dropped by to asked if I'd like anything. I didn't have anything for him and so simply thanked him and wished him a goodnight.

Because I didn't get a suite I was given complimentary broadband internet which was most handy. I also got free brekky but didn't manage to get up in time for it. And that is why perks like free breakfasts don't do much for me.

Probably my favourite feature of the hotel was Astor Bar, where the lovely bar manager remembered me from last July! The drinks here were great on the whole, especially that Pink Kanel champagne concoction which was topped with Krug. However - the mojitos still lost out by a long way to those of the Four Seasons'; the St Regis mojito was rather bland whereas the Four Seasons' version was a lovely burst of lime and mint flavours balanced delicately with rum. The bar was quiet on a weekday but I had a lovely time discussing various cocktail recipes with the staff. Again the schizophrenic nature of the hotel's ambience and lack of attention paid to little details - dancey style club music was played at the bar. Whilst I far prefer this to the usual 5 star hotel grand piano ambience - the incoherence and lack of thought given to the hotel's theme was rather noticeable.

mojito

Singapore Sling, and a taste test of their unique take on Long Island which they hoped to enter into a cocktail competition

The way the phone system was set up was most irritating. Apparently I'm supposed to contact my butler for all things under the sun that I'd normally call the front desk for (or some central service hotline such as Service Express at Westins or Whatever/Whenever at Ws), such as wake up calls and porter services - however calls to the butler went unanswered and reached a voicemail system. I had no time to flaff around the voicemail and hence tried to reach the front desk directly. But there was no such option, and the only way to get the front desk was to call the operator and ask to be connected to the front desk! Similarly, it was impossible to reach the concierge on the phone as the line was engaged each time I tried to call in. I voiced my concerns upon check out only to be met with an apologetic but ineffectual response that the "system is set up in a way that your butler and concierge takes care of you directly", well it'd be nice if I could actually reach them!

The concierge desk was manned by a rather affable man who unfortunately did not have much of a clue. I feel bad panning him as he was really nice - but I did not appreciate being given the hard sell on the hotel's inhouse restaurants when I was clearly looking for recommendations on local restaurants outside the hotel.

On the whole, the St Regis isn't entirely unpleasant but despite what its marketing and brand positioning suggests, its service standards fall far short of what I'd expect from a luxury hotel. Which is v disappointing for what's supposed to be the flagship Starwood property in Singapore. About the only reason I can recommend this hotel to anyone is the extremely good value Cash + Points redemption, as the redemption level is really darn good compared to what the hotel is charging for a fully paid stay. And probably the v nice bar - but you could visit the bar without staying there anyhoo. If I had to pay regular rates, I'd definitely go back to the Four Seasons or the New Majestic, or check out the other favourites in Singapore.
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 25 June 2009, 03:58 PM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          As my taxi drew up at the entrance of the St Regis (ps - the best way to direct taxi drivers here is to make reference to "that new hotel on Tanglin Rd"),
          It's somewhat of a result in itself to get taxi's to the St Regis according to a number of taxi drivers I've had the pleasure of listening to them rant about the place.

Apparently some young lady at the St Regis decided that the normal taxi's running around Singapore, that nobody has a problem with using, were not good enough for the up-market St Regis ( ), so she made it clear to them they were not wanted there, as she only wanted Mercedes Taxi's.

Well, you can imagine how this went down with the taxi drivers. The last one I went past there with pointed to the St Regis staff member trying to flag a taxi and said 'it serves them bloody well right, I wouldn't go there for a fare if it was the last Hotel on the planet and I was about to go bankrupt'.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            Apparently some young lady at the St Regis decided that the normal taxi's running around Singapore, that nobody has a problem with using, were not good enough for the up-market St Regis ( ), so she made it clear to them they were not wanted there, as she only wanted Mercedes Taxi's.
            Whoa... you really couldn't make it up. Maybe that explains the slightly cold reception as I'd arrived in a regular taxi. I'd be highly annoyed if they insist on flagging down a Mercedes taxi for me rather than a normal one!
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I didn't expect your stay at our little home to be THAT bad. What's going on down there??? Not happy to hear of the shortcomings. Me thinks I'll have to check it out thoroughly during the TPP/LPP Celebrations.
              HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                I didn't expect your stay at our little home to be THAT bad. What's going on down there??? Not happy to hear of the shortcomings. Me thinks I'll have to check it out thoroughly during the TPP/LPP Celebrations.
                Maybe we've stayed at entirely different hotels yet again.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                  the TPP/LPP Celebrations.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    Then that appears to be only one of the reasons why taxi drivers avoid the place. I posted on TOF a few months ago:

I took a taxi from the Sheraton yesterday and got talking to the driver. He said that a lot of taxi drivers hate the St Regis because some of the porters are "crooked" (in his words) and demand money from the drivers. As such, a lot of drivers try to avoid picking up from the hotel.

I don't know whether it's related but the other evening, phaleesy and I took a taxi from the St Regis and the driver tried to take us on a somewhat circular route. Luckily, phaleesy is a local and "corrected" him twice when he tried to go in the wrong direction. It's the first time either of us had encountered such a driver in Singapore (either extremely ignorant (to give him the benefit of the doubt) or dishonest)!
                    which got a reply from the Exec Assistant Manager (Rooms) of the St Regis who registered on TOF to post that the kickback claims are "unfounded"!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post11444004

Maybe that explains the slightly cold reception as I'd arrived in a regular taxi.
                    One of the times I arrived, it was hot and bothered after walking and rolling my luggage all the way from Orchard MRT!

I agree that out of the St Regis SIN staff I've come across, the girls at the front desk (fresh grads usually) were the most pleasant and real.

Comment

The last time I took a taxi to the St Regis to meet jhm, the taxi driver lamented how hard it is to get to the St Regis because of the way the driveway was constructed and was about to take a detour to get there, when i politely pointed out to him that there was a more direct way of getting there.

Nevertheless, I could tell that he wasn't too happy.

How was the Sling at the SR bar though, KeithMel? Was it up to your standards or the Long Bar standards at the Raffles Hotel?

Comment

Originally posted by zander View Post
                        Was it up to ... the Long Bar standards at the Raffles Hotel?
                        It comes ready mixed in cans from what I read!

Comment

Originally posted by zander View Post
                          How was the Sling at the SR bar though, KeithMel? Was it up to your standards or the Long Bar standards at the Raffles Hotel?
                          MUCH MUCH better than Raffles, but that's not hard as the Raffles' version is a sickly sweet pre-mixed concoction which put me off Slings until I learnt that Slings are meant to taste much better than that! The SR does a v nice Sling however and they made it extra strong for me after I complained that the mojito was thoroughly lacking in flavour , v comparable to the Four Seasons' version which is one of the best I've tasted so far.

Bloody Marys are also pretty good at the SR, meant to be their signature.

The only disappointment was the aforesaid mojito. I also noticed that they used bottled lime juice rather than freshly squeezed lime juice.
                          Last edited by KeithMEL; 26 June 2009, 11:39 AM.

Comment

The only disappointment was the aforesaid mojito. I also noticed that they used bottled lime juice rather than freshly squeezed lime juice.
                            HUGE AL will be sure to have a talk with the bar manager about this during his next visit.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

At Les Saveurs this morning, they debuted the new additional Asian/local flavor dishes to their breakfast buffet. Included are dim sum (shrimp siu mai, lotus bun, and a baked char siu puff), roti prata, channa dhal (chickpea/garbanzo bean curry), and miso soup with garnishes.
                              Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by B727 View Post
                                At Les Saveurs this morning, they debuted the new additional Asian/local flavor dishes to their breakfast buffet. Included are dim sum (shrimp siu mai, lotus bun, and a baked char siu puff), roti prata, channa dhal (chickpea/garbanzo bean curry), and miso soup with garnishes.
                                Not the rest but I'm fairly sure I had roti prata there a year or so ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X