Future W Hotels (and Retreats and Spas)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
    Hmm looks like the W SHA is going to be in the middle of nowhere like the W Dubai-Festival City. Is it easy to get around in Shanghai and are taxis cheap?
    I wouldn't say it's in the middle of nowhere - it just depends on where you're planning to go when in Shanghai.

There should be no problem getting around Shanghai (e.g. there's an underground station under the Oriental Pearl Tower which is near the Shangri-La and, presumably, the W) and taxis are of course cheap by western standards.

The only point to note is that if you've staying in Pudong and want to go to Puxi, you'll have to cross the river (one of the bridges or tunnels) and this may take a while due to traffic congestion. A friend told me that it's sometimes quicker to tell the driver to cross using a bridge/tunnel which isn't the nearest (I forget which one now).

Come this DEC i'm stay running around SHA (Westin/LM/SRegis) and I think at least one of them is in Pudong...
    The St Regis is in Pudong. The other two are in Puxi.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by Snaffled View Post
      If you are staying at all Starwoods in Shanghai you have another 4 or so hotels to choose from too... Shanghai is a big place!
      Ah no - I only require 4 stays.

I really ought to just stick to the Westin and LM, but somehow got talked into checking out the SRegis.
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 19 September 2007, 06:05 PM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

...but somehow got talked into checking out the SRegis.
        Don't know how good the service will be there. Most of the staff were trained in California and when I interacted with them, it was a complete disaster. One of the butlers came into my room when I was hosting a party and proceeded to sit down at the table and attempted to speak Chinese to all my guests -- who weren't all Asian! When she left to retrieve a bunch of items I requested, I never heard from her again.
        HUGE AL

Comment

Wow, not so good - the reviews on Tripadvisor are all pretty good.

Comment

Any new Starwood properties (other than St Regis in Orchard/Tanglin) coming up in SG? Hope W Hotel comes to SG soon.
            We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

There is a Westin coming up at Sentosa.

http://www.cdl.com.sg/cdlData.nsf/ne...0-%20FINAL.pdf

Comment

From KeithMEL's trip report but my comment is probably best in this thread:

It's a Luxury Collection property - it's not supposed to feel modern. Someone on TOF called the new decor and furniture 'W-style.'
                I'm just booking my hotels in Europe now and they seem even older (like centuries older...), even the non-LC/SRegis branded Starwoods...
                I've never stayed in a St Regis but this comment about olde worlde furnishings and decor certainly applies to some of the Sheratons, LC and LM I've stayed in in Europe. I can't remember the same about Westins. I'm just wondering which other SPG brand is closest to the W look ?

How about Four Points ? I've only stayed in two - BEY and one night this weekend in ZRH (with the other night at the ZRH Sheraton which is exactly like the comment above). Out of these two, I've been very impressed with the experience so far - apart from being a lot cheaper (e.g. almost 50% in ZRH compared to the Sheraton there), both properties were less than a year old and had a modern, clean and functional look. (It also helps that as a mere SPG gold currently, it was nice that the ZRH Four Points had upgraded me to a junior suite. ) I can't say that I noticed any difference between the service levels at the Four Points and anywhere else given that my only interaction usually with the hotel staff is on checking-in and later when leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  I've never stayed in a St Regis but this comment about olde worlde furnishings and decor certainly applies to some of the Sheratons, LC and LM I've stayed in in Europe. I can't remember the same about Westins. I'm just wondering which other SPG brand is closest to the W look ?
                  I'd say the now-discontinued Le Meridien Art & Tech series. Despite its awkward location, I LOVE the Le Meridien Cyberport in Hong Kong. The atmosphere is funky, with hip designs and lighting. Its 'Anything/Anytime' hotline sounds so much like the 'Whatever/Whenever' service line. A friend who's now holidaying in Europe has also emailed me raving about the LM Wien, another property in the series. It looks so cool that I'd visit VIE just to stay at the hotel!

I'd say the Westin Excelsior Rome looks very old world. I was comparing the 3 SPGs in 'central' Rome trying to decide which one resembled a museum least, and finally gave up and picked the Hotel Eden (an LM) based on recommendations.

Actually after I wrote that comment I went off looking at TRs, and checked out one on TOF of the Laguna Nusa Dua in Bali, an LC. Whilst the grounds look pretty traditional, the rooms are described as having been refurbished recently and had all these sleek looking gadgets. The furnishings also looked quite modern. So there must be something the Sheraton Imperial KUL didn't get to convey that early 90s generic impression, but on a whole I'd say that it's a vast improvement for the standard room (less so for the suite).
                  Last edited by KeithMEL; 24 September 2007, 06:03 PM.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubilee777 View Post
                    There is a Westin coming up at Sentosa.

http://www.cdl.com.sg/cdlData.nsf/ne...0-%20FINAL.pdf
                    That's cool. But I was thinking of something that's on mainland Singapore.
                    We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      How about Four Points ?
                      Well, I've stayed in a Four Points property in Seoul (It closed down soon after I stayed). Not the best hotel one would like to stay in I guess. The rooms were long in the tooth, and there was this urine stench in my room. The location wasn't ideal too, few of the taxi drivers I've approached knew where it was. However, on the brighter side, the staff were cheerful and friendly. Their impeccable software made up for the hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
                        Well, I've stayed in a Four Points property in Seoul (It closed down soon after I stayed). Not the best hotel one would like to stay in I guess. The rooms were long in the tooth, and there was this urine stench in my room. The location wasn't ideal too, few of the taxi drivers I've approached knew where it was. However, on the brighter side, the staff were cheerful and friendly. Their impeccable software made up for the hardware.
                        Like every other brand, there are bound to be bad apples in the lot.

My experiences with Four Points by Sheraton have been positive - 4P Sydney (which is nicer than some Sheratons actually), and 4P Washington DC - both very good value properties. I was upgraded one category at both properties (very good for a Gold), the rooms are clean and functional, beds are comfy (the beds at the SYD property are actually comfier than the standard 4 Comfort Beds), and service just as good as the more upscale brands. The DC property also had Cassey Maxwell's bath amenities which are superior to the Pantene stuff found at most US Sheratons, and a very nice cinnamon apple scent in the public areas. (also true of the 4P Chicago mag mile when I went to check it out while waiting for a friend who was late) Based on my own experiences I wouldn't say the 4P is similar to the W though, and their branding emphasises simplicity and the comforts of home (local beer brews, apple pies etc) where the W models itself upon a clubbing experience - but the 4Ps I've experienced can give some Sheratons a run for their money IMO.
                        Last edited by KeithMEL; 24 September 2007, 06:19 PM.

Comment

The new LM in Bangkok will be art/tech I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaffled View Post
                            The new LM in Bangkok will be art/tech I think.
                            I forgot where I read it but isn't the Art/Tech series meant to be discontinued? In any case - great! Well, not hard to look more modern than the current late 90s looking Royal Meridien anyway. 2 lovely new hotels to check out - aLoft bkk and an LM Art/Tech bkk!

In other news - I changed my SHA hotel stays to just Westin and the LM now. After reading about the SRegis being in Pudong, I went to do some research on the area and couldn't stand the thought of staying in the middle of nowhere (financial district) or mattress running that far out. Plus it was a SRegis after all so not hard to talk myself out of it.
                            Last edited by KeithMEL; 25 September 2007, 11:01 AM.

Comment

W Bangkok!!!

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!

Starwood has really got it right in BKK where there're nice properties in good locations, managed under a diverse range of brands. Unlike certain other cities like HKG or NRT...

2011 is a long wait though...

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news07...lBangkok.shtml

Within walking distance to more than 20 embassies and commercial centers, W Bangkok will be located in the prime business district of Sathorn, an area with a high concentration of luxury hotels. W Bangkok will be an integral part of the Golden Land's Sathorn Square, a mixed-use project that also includes a 750,000 square foot premium office tower and a variety of retail shops, centered on the historic landmark Russian Embassy complex. When open, the W Bangkok will also have direct access to the Bangkok Sky Train, making it easy for visitors to zip around this colorful, eclectic city.
                              I'll now go back to writing my annual pleas to Santa for W to come back downunder.
                              Last edited by KeithMEL; 12 October 2007, 09:30 PM.

Comment

I see from the SPG site that the W Hong Kong will be located at Kowloon Station itself (so only 20 mins to the airport by Airport Express and even easier without luggage if using CX in-town check-in at Kowloon Station).

It's opening on 30 July (assuming no delays I assume) but no individual bookings taken as yet. I hope to be back in Hong Kong in late August so will probably check it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X