SQ fare buckets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ fare buckets

I'm confused about the fare buckets for revenue tickets on SQ and under what circumstances they're available.

For example, in relation to BA (where I'm slightly less blur like sotong), for business revenue fares there's J, C, D and I in order of decreasing cost and flexibility. Availability of I class (the cheapest) is released as and when BA revenue management decide with availability drying up near the time of departure. The fare rules differ depending on the country of purchase so that an I-class ex-EU has some flexibility whilst an I-class ex-UK has none. With BA, you can download PDF files showing the cheapest I-class fares for each destination (although these are now being withdrawn).

Is there a similar summary like the above for SQ ?

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    I'm confused about the fare buckets for revenue tickets on SQ and under what circumstances they're available.

For example, in relation to BA (where I'm slightly less blur like sotong), for business revenue fares there's J, C, D and I in order of decreasing cost and flexibility. Availability of I class (the cheapest) is released as and when BA revenue management decide with availability drying up near the time of departure. The fare rules differ depending on the country of purchase so that an I-class ex-EU has some flexibility whilst an I-class ex-UK has none. With BA, you can download PDF files showing the cheapest I-class fares for each destination (although these are now being withdrawn).

Is there a similar summary like the above for SQ ?
    SQ's depends on which country you're originating from .
    By all accounts
    Z seems to be the lowest,
    I is definitely award, not revenue.
    C and J share top honours. C is top dog for malaysia, J for some other countries IIRC.
    D seems to be used for RTW's/Non saver awards and some special fares so they come just above Z.

Can't think of any more.

Comment

Originally posted by shortfinals View Post
      SQ's depends on which country you're originating from .
      By all accounts
      Z seems to be the lowest,
      I is definitely award, not revenue.
      C and J share top honours. C is top dog for malaysia, J for some other countries IIRC.
      D seems to be used for RTW's/Non saver awards and some special fares so they come just above Z.

Can't think of any more.
      Isn't Z the premium Business Class subclass for the 345 non stops?

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
        That's what I thought but if so and excluding the RTW class D and the award class I, does that only leave C and J as revenue classes ?

If that's the case, does it mean that with SQ J you either go for Raffles fully flexible (C/J) or nothing ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          If that's the case, does it mean that with SQ J you either go for Raffles fully flexible (C/J) or nothing ?
          I remember my trip to SIN and Hong Kong being booked in J. It definitely wasn't fully flexible (25% non-refundable after ticketing, 100% non-refundable after departure), and the TA was boasting about how she's authorised to sell 'corporate fares' for business class which are supposedly cheaper. Which leads me to think J is a discounted class.
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 9 November 2006, 01:12 AM.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

We never get "J" subclass anymore in Jakarta since they harmonized full fare biz to "C" like other Star Alliance airlines.
            "D" class does not necessary mean it is always a RTW ticket. I once bought an ex-SGN "D" class ticket.

Comment

I guess I'm trying to work out what availability to look out for on each flight in order to get the cheapest possible result.

Again taking BA as an example, if I wanted to fly ex-MXP to PVG in club, then as I understand it (but very happy to be corrected if I'm wrong) I'd look for I-class availability in:

MXP-LHR
              LHR-PVG
              PVG-LHR
              LHR-MXP

using something like ExpertFlyer so that, e.g., if one of these flights on one of the days only has availability in a higher class (e.g. C), I could consider changing it.

How do I go through the equivalent process with SQ with the following say ?

MXP-SIN
              SIN-PVG
              PVG-SIN
              SIN-MXP

Of course I could simply try out combinations of dates using SQ's website but that would be very painful.

What do people do when planning their trips ? Of course, I mean those who pay for their own tickets rather than those who choose the dates, their company pays whatever the price is and off they go!
              Last edited by jhm; 9 November 2006, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                I think it might be, as it also was when they had the 343 and sold the F cabin under the Z fare bucket for SIN-CPH-SIN or somewhere, but yet i also recall some people finding cheap Z seats on SQ on TOF, can't remember now though.

Comment

Working...
                X