Best Seat in Economy on 747?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Seat in Economy on 747?

lol this is a bit embarassing despite being a solitaire i have only flown once in Economy on a 747..i usually only fly it for the shorter hops on the 777..and recently because of lack of availability from LHR i just booked a rt. Economy ticket.....in everyones opinion what is the best seat if u had the choice of any economy seat on the 747?

Welcome to SQTalk, SQflyer.

I personally feel that you can't go wrong with the aisle seats in the first row (32H, 31C), or the aisle seats in the emergency exit rows (39HC, 49HC).
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

im looking actually at a window seat cause i like to rest my head against the plane to sleep but..........would the emergency window seat not be such a good idea because of the door protrusion would 31A or 31K be preferable?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyer View Post
        im looking actually at a window seat cause i like to rest my head against the plane to sleep but..........would the emergency window seat not be such a good idea because of the door protrusion would 31A or 31K be preferable?
        In that case 31AK would be better. Avoid the window seat at the emex row at all costs as there's zero legroom due to emergency slide protrusion.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          In that case 31AK would be better. Avoid the window seat at the emex row at all costs as there's zero legroom due to emergency slide protrusion.
          Except that in Row 31, you're highly likely to have infants seated next to you. That's OK if you get a well-behaved child, not so peaceful if the child is restless during the flight.

I don't find the window emex seats as bad as people describe them. They've certainly felt less cramped than regular window seats, even with the protrusion. YMMV.

Welcome to SQTalk, SQflyer.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Ok great 31AK it is.....however looking at the seat map...it seems as there isn't a 31k on the 747....think it'll be 32k then!
            Thanks

Comment

I had 32H last time I flew LHR-SIN. Baby and his mother was on 32K.
              For the return leg, I noticed 32H,J and K were occupied. 32HJ were parents with baby.
              Both ways, row 32 and 31 ABC were occupied by parents with babies.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                I don't find the window emex seats as bad as people describe them. They've certainly felt less cramped than regular window seats, even with the protrusion. YMMV.
                They aren't bad on the 773 or 772. Admittedly I haven't got those on the 744 but I've seen people trying to get comfy in vain. Most of them either spend lots of time walking up and down the aisles or resting the legs on top of the slide. 39AK doesnt look as bad as 49AK though.

Comment

Ok great 31AK it is.....however looking at the seat map...it seems as there isn't a 31k on the 747....think it'll be 32k then!
                  Thanks
                  Oops I really meant 31A or 32K. Sorry!
                  And do take note of the baby issues...

Comment

despite being a solitaire i have only flown once in Economy on a 747..i
                    That is precisely why you're a solitaire...

Comment

hmm.....this is making me quite indecisive! well i looked on seat guru and it wasn't much more helpful but according to that it looks as if the 49 seats have better legroom than the 39 seats??

Comment

also does anyone no the chances of op-ups for this sector do they overbook often? i kinda doubt it though cause business is always full anyways......

Comment

... the chances of op-ups for this sector ...

When flying around Easter, saw few seats open. On April 26, many middle seats were empty for the front section of Y. Same for May 7.

Comment

SQFlyer,

I'm going to offer a slightly different take on this - as CGK knows, my favourite Economy seats on the 747 (and indeed 777) are the very last rows, where there are only 2 seats next to one another; in my mind these are the best that both aircraft have to offer.

If you check sites such as SeatGuru, they may flag these seats up as being poor, due to proximity of toilets (747) or galley (777), but neither of these have ever bothered me in the slightest.

SQ's computer at check-in states that they have limited recline, but this is certainly not true, as they have full recline (also offering guilt free reclining as no-one behind you).

On many (not sure if all) 747s, down behind the rear left hand seat there is a cleaners power socket, so you can have laptop power - just unscrew the cover and you're away

They offer earlier boarding of the plane for non PPS/Star Gold pax (latter rows first to board)

My main drive for these seats is that you're less likely to have another person on the row - most of my travel is with my wife (so the two seaters are excellent), but as a single person I'd most definately still aim for these rows.

On the 777, the last row is simply wonderful in my opinion - great service as you're right near the galley (never had any noise problems or similar) - just have to pop your head round the curtain and ask for more wine/vodka/etc etc

Possible cons:

1. Seats right at the back tend to be more prone to turbulence
                            2. For one meal service flights, if they choose to start serving from the front, your choice of meal may well have ran out (on 2 meal service flights they alternate the direction of service, so this isn't a problem)

Hope this helps,

nickbot
                            Last edited by nickbot; 18 May 2007, 04:21 PM.

Comment

ok so rows 64 the last pair of twos yeah....is the wall very far from the seat though if ure sitting in the window, would u still be able to lean your head against it? if ure a single theres also a good chance that if the flight isnt full they could block the seat too i guess! hmm might for 64AK

Comment

Working...
                              X