SIN-SYD-CBR & SIN-MEL-WLG from 1 May 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
    I believe the crew will do a MEL-WLG-MEL turnaround and stay in MEL instead. The MEL-WLG flight time is similar to a regional turnaround from SIN.

SQ used to have triangular routings with single flight numbers many years back as well.
    Yep if my memory serves me right, I believe this was done with US routes in the 90's and also with European routes that had the 744 and before the 744 (i.e. 743 and 742)

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
      Yep if my memory serves me right, I believe this was done with US routes in the 90's and also with European routes that had the 744 and before the 744 (i.e. 743 and 742)
      Previously when they flew to MAN via MUC, the the crew supposedly disembark at at MUC, stay for 3 nights, then do a MUC - MAN - MUC turnaround and stay for a further night at MUC before flying back.

Comment

Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
        Is the Routing SIN SYD CBR SIN the first routing to use only one flight number ?
        No, lately there was KHI/LHE in a triangle routing, though it didn't last long

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanL View Post
          It's a waste to offer SQ metal service to Canberra from Sydney considering the short distance. The best cost effective way is to partner with Virgin Australia for a codeshared flight instead
          No, it's an excellent idea. Because of the strict SYD curfew, any direct SYD-SIN overnight flight would have to land at SIN at 3am (as the MH flight does in KL).

This way the flight leaves before the curfew, stops in CBR, and lands in SIN at 5am, in time to connect with the first bank of connecting departures. And it gets subsidised by the ACT for doing it, probably more than offsetting the cost of the stopover, and without inconveniencing passengers (except for those that like hanging around at Changi at 3am I guess...). Win.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post
            I believe I read somewhere the Canberra service is heavily subsidised by the Aussie government? Maybe they feel that the capital should have "first class" treatment, hence they don't mind subsidising more.
            Possibly, even if indirectly. The desire for the SQ flight came from the private company that manages/owns the airport I believe. I think they are providing a subsidy as a way to grow their airport.

Comment

I believe the crew will do a MEL-WLG-MEL turnaround and stay in MEL instead. The MEL-WLG flight time is similar to a regional turnaround from SIN.
              There'd be economy of scale in mixing them into the numerous crews all over-nighting in MEL and there are many flights a day to swap around with in case of illness, etc.

Canberra is notorious for poor, expensive accommodation and the risk of having to solely rely on one set of crew to complete such a long rotation, with so many gap days must be factored in, given how easy it is to get ill while flying long haul.

Comment

It seems SQ 288 has been extremely popular, as Premium Economy Standard for some flights in June has been sold out and we haven't get to February yet!

Comment

Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
                  But they have the sq247/248. So the crew still have to stay at WLG.

Is the Routing SIN SYD CBR SIN the first routing to use only one flight number ?

SQ used to have triangular routings with single flight numbers many years back as well.
                  Actually, SQ288 is a "recycled" flight number. That flight number used to be operated as a triangular routing SIN-CHC-AKL-SIN on some days and on some other days it did SIN-AKL-CHC-SIN, namely in the 80's and 90's. That flight was in addition to the SQ285/286 SIN-AKL vv rotation that SQ did at the time. It was before AKL & CHC broke off and CHC ended getting its dedicated rotation, which became today's SQ297/298. SQ285/286 obviously carried on until today as well.

I was quite surprised to read the SIN-SYD-CBR-SIN flight is numbered SQ288, as I thought SQ's 28x-29x were used for flights where the termination point is New Zealand. I guess with the combination of flights to Australia and New Zealand that has become more indistinguishable (is there such a word LOL)...

Comment

does SIA have the trafic rights to pick up domestic passengers from Sydney to Canberra and vv and from Melbourne to Canberaa vv?

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                      does SIA have the trafic rights to pick up domestic passengers from Sydney to Canberra and vv and from Melbourne to Canberaa vv?
                      According to the article

“While Singapore Airlines isn't permitted to sell the Sydney-Canberra leg as a domestic leg of its own, travellers from Singapore to Canberra can book a stop-over in Sydney as part of their international journey; likewise, passengers headed from Sydney to Singapore can break their journey in Canberra.”

Comment

In this case, perhaps SIA should just have a code-share for its passengers from either SYD or MEL to CBR instead of continuing the flight and also having exrtra cew sets for this purpose. CBR is not really a tourist destination in itself and do not see the load from SYD or MEL to CBR as that heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                          In this case, perhaps SIA should just have a code-share for its passengers from either SYD or MEL to CBR instead of continuing the flight and also having exrtra cew sets for this purpose. CBR is not really a tourist destination in itself and do not see the load from SYD or MEL to CBR as that heavy.
                          Posts #12 and #20

Comment

Originally posted by kt74 View Post
                            No, it's an excellent idea. Because of the strict SYD curfew, any direct SYD-SIN overnight flight would have to land at SIN at 3am (as the MH flight does in KL).

This way the flight leaves before the curfew, stops in CBR, and lands in SIN at 5am, in time to connect with the first bank of connecting departures. And it gets subsidised by the ACT for doing it, probably more than offsetting the cost of the stopover, and without inconveniencing passengers (except for those that like hanging around at Changi at 3am I guess...). Win.
                            Yeah don't forget TR (Scoot) that also lands at 3AM at SIN as well due to SYD's cerfew.

Comment

9V-SWG (as SQ288) is operating the new SIN-SYD-CBR-SIN service starting today.
                              Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Has anyone heard whether SQ is planned to upgrade SIN-MEL-WLG to some newer planes from the old 777-200. They're finally getting them off CHC, but what about WLG?

Comment

Working...
                                X