No announcement yet.

T4 OpenHouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The airside bus transfer from T4 to T1,2,3 are on tarmac level, just next to the transfer desk. (See SQtravellers post above)
    Bus will drop pax off at T2 gate F51.

I don't know if there's a landside bus service

Comment

Can't help but think of T4 as a spruced up budget terminal upon completing the tour. It seemed like a bastard child of Changi airport compared to the other terminals. As others had pointed out, forcing passengers to walk through the narrow walkways of DFS upon completing immigration looks like a really bad idea. I can understand the reasons of having a centralized security although i am not a fan of it but forcing pax through DFS just seems like the designers of T4 waving the white flag at everything Changi airport stood for and decided to emulate their rivals.
      I didn't see any directional road signs for a basement on the way there and I did ask a CSO about the public bus services and it seems they would be located on the ground level. She did told me that not all services serving the other terminals would serve here. Assume landside transfer would be here as well.
      And looked for signs of it, but it seems like there would be no viewing mall here Could have been a chance to redeem itself but nope.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
        Can't help but think of T4 as a spruced up budget terminal upon completing the tour. It seemed like a bastard child of Changi airport compared to the other terminals. As others had pointed out, forcing passengers to walk through the narrow walkways of DFS upon completing immigration looks like a really bad idea. I can understand the reasons of having a centralized security although i am not a fan of it but forcing pax through DFS just seems like the designers of T4 waving the white flag at everything Changi airport stood for and decided to emulate their rivals.
        I didn't see any directional road signs for a basement on the way there and I did ask a CSO about the public bus services and it seems they would be located on the ground level. She did told me that not all services serving the other terminals would serve here. Assume landside transfer would be here as well.
        And looked for signs of it, but it seems like there would be no viewing mall here Could have been a chance to redeem itself but nope.
        post deleted
        Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:43 AM.

Comment

The layout and descriptions really do make T4 feel like a glorified budget terminal. Can't help but think of an analogy to KLIA in a way: the original BT at Changi would be akin to the original LCCT at KLIA, while T4 looks like a parallel to KLIA2, with a more modern and spiffy ambience.

Being forced to walk through a narrow DFS area is a gripe I have about the international terminal at DPS, and based on my experience with that, I find it sad that Changi is doing this too.

I guess a positive outcome would be that AirAsia's move to T4 is likely to significantly lessen crowds at T1.

Comment

Another concern I have, which was voiced out earlier, is the absence of skytrain for inter terminal transfers. Now that it is confirmed that there would be at least 2 budget carriers, including one which operates a 400 seat wide body, I am afraid the options would be unable to meet the demand during peak periods.
            Based on experience, most budget travellers would choose to take public transport, especially the MRT, for travel into SG. The only way that is possible is via a shuttle service to T2 I presume. A normal bus has a capacity of 50 to 60 pax. Even at a frequency of 5 mins, that's a capacity of 600+ pax per hour. Remember that this includes pax AND well wishers which would be significantly higher. We are not even taking into account CX and KE which have an all wide body fleet. Double decker buses are unable to enter the existing terminals, so that's a no-no. Bendy bus is another option, but from what I understand, going to T3 shouldn't be a problem. But going to T2 from T4 should be a problem as there are a couple of sharp turns.
            Even for cars, they would have to filter into a busy ECP if they are going into PIE. There's no merging lane unlike T3 and T2. I see a potential bottle neck there during peak periods. Even the traffic arrangements looks like they are made for a budget terminal instead of a full fledged terminal.

Comment

Another concern I have, which was voiced out earlier, is the absence of skytrain for inter terminal transfers. Now that it is confirmed that there would be at least 2 budget carriers, including one which operates a 400 seat wide body, I am afraid the options would be unable to meet the demand during peak periods.
              Based on experience, most budget travellers would choose to take public transport, especially the MRT, for travel into SG. The only way that is possible is via a shuttle service to T2 I presume. A normal bus has a capacity of 50 to 60 pax. Even at a frequency of 5 mins, that's a capacity of 600+ pax per hour. Remember that this includes pax AND well wishers which would be significantly higher. We are not even taking into account CX and KE which have an all wide body fleet. Double decker buses are unable to enter the existing terminals, so that's a no-no. Bendy bus is another option, but from what I understand, going to T3 shouldn't be a problem. But going to T2 from T4 should be a problem as there are a couple of sharp turns.
              Even for cars, they would have to filter into a busy ECP if they are going into PIE. There's no merging lane unlike T3 and T2. I see a potential bottle neck there during peak periods. Even the traffic arrangements looks like they are made for a budget terminal instead of a full fledged terminal.
              post deleted
              Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Thank you for all your input. I guess for however subpar the terminal itself seems to be, the ground transportation in & out of T4 seems equally worrying, or even more so. No MRT links without taking a shuttle bus to T2/3, not all existing buses to serve T4 - feels like it'll be more than a bit of a bottleneck there.

With the bus terminal said to be at ground level, I'm hoping they'll introduce a few new routes to serve T4 and not the other three - which should hopefully allow the provision of double deckers. We'll see how it goes I guess, but I really, really hope than an airport like Changi can get this right.

On that note, have they published a map of the access routes in and out of T4? It would probably be useful for drivers to know where they're going..

Comment

I think Changi & CX lost an opportunity to have done something different.

With CX having 8 flights/day, they could have built a CX lounge right next to 1 of the gates which would have given Tarmac views and direct lounge boarding.... But alas, they push the lounge to the 2nd floor... and no view....

Comment

Any reason why SQTraveller deletes his own posts? Checked back and noticed that he does this quite often. Was looking forward to seeing some photos and replies to the various posts but they are all deleted.

Comment

T4 opens on 31/Oct!

31/Oct: CX & KE
                      2/Nov: 5J & 9C
                      7/Nov: AK Family & VN

http://www.changiairport.com/corpora...r-2017-2134600

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                        T4 opens on 31/Oct!

31/Oct: CX & KE
                        2/Nov: 5J & 9C
                        7/Nov: AK Family & VN

http://www.changiairport.com/corpora...r-2017-2134600
                        Slow and steady ....

Comment

A bit OT here but just saw an ad on Nat Geo about T4 airing on Thursday( Jul 19) at 8pm.

Comment

Frankly think T4 althogough modern but is even now underutilised as one can go and see the T4 flight information and one can see during off peak between 10am to 6 pm, there are as low as 3 flights an hour/ This is what the former CEO f Sccot say of T4.....https://www.todayonline.com/business...olly-scoot-ceo

Comment

Well it is a new terminal, I think below-capacity is to be expected? It is not a 1-2 year project that needs immediate returns.

I am sure they built it to cater for growth until T5 opens, which by when it will also be under-capacity during the first few years

Comment

IMO T4 was built to accomodate single-aisle planes with lower loads. And it was also an "experimental" terminal to deploy the latest tech to test them for T5. I think AirAsia was also grumbling about the high cost of Changi and therefore there was some impetus to solve that issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X