JW Marriott Marquis Dubai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JW Marriott Marquis Dubai

Dubai never ceases to amaze me. Not only do they have the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa, they now have the world's tallest hotel as well: the JW Marriott Marquis, at 355 meters and 72 storeys. (Anyone remember the Westin Stamford in Singapore -- now the Swissotel -- which was the world's tallest when it was first built, back in 1986? That was 226 meters...)

I stayed at the JW Marriott Marquis Dubai for the first time earlier this month, just before Christmas...

My booking was for a regular King room, but I was upgraded at check-in to an executive room on a high floor in Tower A.

This was a large and very well appointed room, in shades of brown and beige.

A very large and elegant writing desk...

King bed...

Touchscreen room lighting and temperature controls and ipod dock (old connector, though)...

And a very impressive looking illy coffee machine.

Last edited by yflyer; 28 December 2014, 11:20 AM.

The bathroom was very large...

And the bathtub is another addition to the list of large and tempting looking bathtubs that I never got to use...

Comment

Views of Dubai and the Arabian Gulf from my 59th floor room were stunning...

Comment

There is a large Executive Lounge on the 37th floor, which services breakfast as well as food/snacks at dinner time.

Great views from the lounge...

Part of the breakfast spread...

A live egg station was also available.

The lounge got quite busy in the evening. There was a section of the lounge where alcoholic beverages were served.

Last edited by yflyer; 28 December 2014, 11:05 AM.

Comment

There is a pool on one of the lower floors with good views of the surrounding area.

There were also a large number of international and local dining outlets within the hotel, including a steak house on the 68th floor.

But you didn't need to dine there to enjoy the views. There were glass lifts and windows at each of the large lift lobbies on each floor.

Location-wise, the hotel was about 20 minutes from the airport, and about 15 minutes from the Mall of the Emirates.

The location is probably better for business travellers. If I were on holiday, I would probably want to stay nearer the Burj Khalifa or the Mall of the Emirates, or one of the Souks.

Not a lot to eat or do in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, however taxis were always available, and the location of the hotel along the busy Sheik Zayed Road meant that you could get to other parts of Dubai very quickly.
          Last edited by yflyer; 28 December 2014, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Overall impressions...an excellent hotel. One of the nicest rooms I have stayed in recently. I would stay here again if I were here on business. A great new JW Marriott property.
            Last edited by yflyer; 29 December 2014, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Great report. Thanks for sharing. It must be so hard to pick out a hotel in Dubai with such a myriad of high-end options.

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
              Great views from the lounge...

And to think this was all desert not very long ago ..

Comment

Originally posted by ek&sq View Post
                Great report. Thanks for sharing.
                Thanks, ek&sq!

Originally posted by ek&sq View Post
                And to think this was all desert not very long ago ..
                Yes, and it seemed to have happened in a blink of an eye. Many years back, on my first trip to Dubai, I stayed at the Le Meridien Mina Seyahi, by the sea, and across empty desert, I could see Dubai Internet City / Dubai Media City in the distance...

Fast forward several years to my next trip to Dubai: the empty desert was gone, and a Manhattan-like skyline had sprung up...

Comment

Working...
                X