Need Assistance With Choosing KL Hotel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Assistance With Choosing KL Hotel

Hi Fellow SQTalkers, I will be up in Kuala Lumpur on 20-22 Jan 2015. Haven't been up there in ten years so I'm rather lost. Before I call up the maps, is there any hotel that you guys recommend?

I recall I took the train from KLIA to KL Sentral Station on my last trip, so proximity to a train station or even the city centre would be useful. Agoda says Shangri-La @ KLCC is offering its Deluxe King room at just SGD155. Sounds like a steal, given that this price brings me only a three-star hotel here in Singapore. Vivatel at Jalan Loke Yew (SGD60) also looks cool but I'm not sure about accessibility.

One more thing, I have a thing for high-altitude drinking, so a hotel with a rooftop bar (covered or uncovered) would be high on the list.

Thanks guys in advance for any help rendered!

Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
    Hi Fellow SQTalkers, I will be up in Kuala Lumpur on 20-22 Jan 2015. Haven't been up there in ten years so I'm rather lost. Before I call up the maps, is there any hotel that you guys recommend?

I recall I took the train from KLIA to KL Sentral Station on my last trip, so proximity to a train station or even the city centre would be useful. Agoda says Shangri-La @ KLCC is offering its Deluxe King room at just SGD155. Sounds like a steal, given that this price brings me only a three-star hotel here in Singapore. Vivatel at Jalan Loke Yew (SGD60) also looks cool but I'm not sure about accessibility.

One more thing, I have a thing for high-altitude drinking, so a hotel with a rooftop bar (covered or uncovered) would be high on the list.

Thanks guys in advance for any help rendered!
    Hi, SQ22! Lots of good hotels in KL...

A couple of newer ones are the Grand Hyatt near KLCC and the Aloft at KL Sentral.

I've stayed at the Aloft at KL Sentral, and it is a decent place, with a nice rooftop bar -- good value rather than high end. The Le Meridien and Hilton at KL Sentral are worth checking out too.

If you want to stay in the city or near KLCC, check out the Grand Hyatt. I've only had breakfast at this particular Grand Hyatt, but as you can see from the TR hyperlinked above, this looks pretty impressive.

Others in the city I've stayed at recently are the Westin (Nice rooms and location) and the Sheraton Imperial (My impression is that standards there have dropped...).

I've not stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in KL in many, many years, but when I did over a decade ago, it was wonderful. I also caught a glimpse of Jackie Chan in the lobby there once. But I've not stayed there since then. I am also interested in hearing from others how the place is now.

If you provide more info on your stay (Are you looking for a high-end place or a value-for-money place? Types of activity? Holiday or business?) I am sure the others on this forum will be able to offer even better suggestions...

Comment

Thanks Brother yflyer for the detailed information. I may not necessarily go for a five-star hotel. Four stars will be fine, so long as it's decent, clean and in a good location. Looking to spend perhaps SGD80 max per night - That would be RM200. I will be on business, meeting partners and clients in the day and relaxing over drinks in the evenings. I will want to visit clubs with live bands and good music at least on one evening.

Comment

Looking to spend perhaps SGD80 max per night - That would be RM200. I will be on business, meeting partners and clients in the day and relaxing over drinks in the evenings.
        You're going on business but they've given you a ceiling of SGD80 a day for your hotel ?. That is the lowest I think I have ever heard. What industry are you in as a matter of interest ?. If that is the limit then that's a shame as KL offers some real value for money for four and five star hotels.

If you are looking for bars with a view then as yflyer mentions there are the ones the one at Aloft at KL Sentral, which has an outdoor area and also the one at the Hyatt which is not outdoor but has nice views of the towers. There is also the perennial favourite Sky Bar at Traders Hotel, which is nice. You will be paying bar bills larger than your the cost of your room if you spend an evening in any of those.

Comment

From SGD150 to 80?

Hilton Petaling Jaya might work... nowhere near the centre of town, however. Far from it, but you can always take a train in.

I think you might have to increase the budget a little more there, SQ22, to enjoy high-altitude drinking, especially if in the same hotel

Comment

Have a look at WOLO in Bukit Bintang.

Comment

If you're Plat with SPG, the lounge on the top floor of the Sheraton Imperial has good views and free drinks, although IIRC there's a cash bar there for higher end stuff. Unfortunately there's no outdoor terrace up there. There are a couple streets just below the hotel that have a lot of bars and nightclubs.

Comment

Originally posted by MSPeconomist View Post
                If you're Plat with SPG, the lounge on the top floor of the Sheraton Imperial has good views and free drinks, although IIRC there's a cash bar there for higher end stuff. Unfortunately there's no outdoor terrace up there. There are a couple streets just below the hotel that have a lot of bars and nightclubs.
                With a budget of SGD80 per night I don't think the Sheraton will come into the equation. If it did, and the OP was Plat, I would recommend the Westin above other Starwood properties in KL, unless you need to be at KL Sentral for ease of meetings, which is sometimes the case for myself. Then the LM comes into play, along with the Aloft.

Comment

I was at the Shangri-La KL over the weekend and I felt that the interior is incredibly dated.. so it isn't one I would recommend, especially if you aren't planning to splurge on club access. It's no doubt value-for-money, but then again, many hotels in KL are, too.

KL does have a selection of rooftop bars for you to explore If you don't mind non-hotel bars, you can check out Helipad at the Menara KL (about three blocks away from the Shang). Or Luna Bar at the Pacific Regency, just behind the Shang. My personal favourite is VIEW at GTower - just next to DoubleTree by Hilton (speaking of which, might just be the hotel you are looking for!)
                  Last edited by jetlounge; 23 December 2014, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Thank you guys for all the wonderful suggestions. It's really much appreciated.

Just a bit of background about myself before I go on. I used to work in an American MNC with lots of regional and global travel, hence I do know something about flying in SQ J Class, the Airbus 345 ULH, and fine hotels like Shangri-La Jakarta and MGM Grand (Las Vegas). I was a PPS Club member for a very brief period.

However, all the above ended abruptly in early 2009 when I quit my job. Life's been full of its ups and downs but that's a story for another day. I am now a real estate professional and as an commission-based associate, I'm on my own as far as marketing is concerned. My trip up north is wholly my idea so I have to keep a tight lid on my expenses.

I have checked out WOLO at Bukit Bintang, and it seems not too bad. I particularly love the central location. Friends have recommended Cititel Express and Cititel Mid Valley, and I have found Vivatel Kuala Lumpur in Pudu. Vivatel looks cool, with the nice lobby ambience but also considering it's attached to a mall. Has any of you stayed at these hotels before?

One last question... I can't seem to get my orientation right. So Bukit Bintang is Orchard Road's equivalent in KL, and KL Sentral is actually NOT in the city centre?

Comment

One last question... I can't seem to get my orientation right. So Bukit Bintang is Orchard Road's equivalent in KL, and KL Sentral is actually NOT in the city centre?
                      Exactly right. They are rather far away from each other.

Think of it as... Tanglin from Raffles Place, although that's probably the worst example I can come up with now.

KL Sentral is where the Airport Express train stops, it's not far from MidValley. That's more or less near to the border of Petaling Jaya. Meanwhile the Twin Towers/Bukit Bintang/Golden Triangle/Pavilion are far, far away.

I've stayed at the Novotel before also, I recall the price being rather reasonable, especially with Accor's 40% super sales.

(btw, better hide that MGM comment... )

Comment

...and fine hotels like Shangri-La Jakarta and MGM Grand (Las Vegas).
                        Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        (btw, better hide that MGM comment... )
                        Well said, Kyo+!
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Kyo, this might be more appropriate...

Bukit Bintang/KLCC/City Centre is Orchard Road. KL Sentral, where KLIA Ekspres terminates at, is Tanjong Pagar.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                            With a budget of SGD80 per night I don't think the Sheraton will come into the equation. If it did, and the OP was Plat, I would recommend the Westin above other Starwood properties in KL, unless you need to be at KL Sentral for ease of meetings, which is sometimes the case for myself. Then the LM comes into play, along with the Aloft.
                            IME the Sheraton Imperial is considerably cheaper than the Westin and other Starwood properties in KL. If the OP had lounge access, the saving on F&B costs would make the effective rate at the Sheraton cheaper and potentially within the OP's range.

Comment

Been doing research all of yesterday and today. International brands like Sheraton are beyond my budget but I may be inclined to choosing a 4* hotel like Grand Seasons or Furama (a Deluxe room goes for SGD105 before taxes). I was toying with the idea of choosing a Club Room as I've never stayed in one before. Are there any benefits of Club Lounge access beyond privacy and having a quiet place for drinks? Do you see these places as venues of potential networking opportunities?

It seems that Accor's 40% offer is over. But Starwood has HOT Rates with rates starting from USD49. Can someone enlighten me about this promotion?

Comment

Working...
                              X