Kuala Lumpur: Staying at Aloft, Dining at Jalan Alor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few highlights...

A very authentic Sarawak Laksa, at the noodle station...

Note that Sarawak Laksa is a totally different dish from the laksa dish you have in Singapore.

Cencaluk as a condiment -- fermented shrimp. A strong tasting condiment which may not be to Western tastes, but a real kick for connoisseurs...

DIY ice kachang...

Shave some ice using the ice machine provided...

Add flavouring...

And voila...

More conventional desserts are also available...

...but whether you are a foreigner visiting Malaysia, or a local with a craving for comfort food, you owe it to yourself to design your own ice kachang...
    Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Breakfast was impressive as well.

When was the last time you saw fresh-squeezed orange juice at a hotel buffet?

The fresh fruit selection was also localised...

Asian condiments to go with fresh fruit...like "sour plum" powder and other pungent sauces which you put into a plastic bag, and dip your cut fruit into, with the sticks provided...

Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Other Asian and Western dishes were great as well...

Proper nasi lemak...

Chinese dim sum and congee...

Interesting western selections...

A manned egg station...

...which also did roti canai, using pre-shaped roti canai, not freshly kneaded from dough...

...it tasted good...

...I guess it would be too much to ask for an authentic roti canai seller to knead, slap and flip fresh roti canai on the counter ...
        Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

The noodle station is open at breakfast as well...

On many of my trips, I tend to skip breakfast in the hotel, and head outside to eat instead, because the breakfasts are either overpriced, or the quality and selection are not good compared to what can be found along the streets outside.

But I think I would have many breakfasts at Nook before I tire of the spread there.

One of the more impressive hotel restaurants I have been to recently.

Overall, I was very happy with my stay at the Aloft. Very nice hotel, great modern, stylish vibe. Staff were great as well, casual and friendly. A great addition to the Starwood properties in KL.
          Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 04:49 PM.

Comment

During my stay, I also headed to Jalan Alor for dinner.

Jalan Alor is a famous outdoor food street in Kuala Lumpur. We might have had an equivalent in Singapore years back, but I don't know of anything here in Singapore that quite matches the sights, sounds and atmosphere of this crowded street in Kuala Lumpur.

Tropical fruit...including durian, duku, mangosteens, rambutans...

Fresh seafood, including incredibly large prawns...

And a line of Chinese-style open air restaurants along the street...

As we strolled along the crowded street, my colleague and I were constantly having menus thrust in our faces by eager restaurant touts, some pushier than others. There were also street vendors, of course: selfie-sticks and green laser pointers seemed to be the hot selling items that day.

My advice is to smile and move on, don't let the hard-sell tactics pressure you into entering an establishment. Pick and choose at leisure, and check the price of seafood first, before you order!
            Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 04:43 PM.

Comment

We eventually settled on Restoran Lim Kee, an open-air establishment run by a husband and wife team...husband mans the kitchen while the warm, cheerful wife, who spoke good English and made excellent food recommendations, runs the front office...

...The wide-ranging menu comprising Chinese style zi char style dishes, including meat, seafood and vegetable selections, has all prices listed, including seafood by weight...

We ordered a few dishes, which were promptly cooked in the kitchen, fully visible along the street (Not hidden way in the back)...

The husband/chef is a master with the wok over a hot flame...which is really the key to this style of cuisine...

Comment

Needless to say, the food was superb...

Deep fried grouper, beautifully fried crisp on the outside, yet soft and tender on the inside, with tangy sauce and garnish...

Stir-fried beef with dried chilli...

Winged beans...

And their trademark pork,egg and ginger soup, a potent, traditional Chinese soup...

...all dishes placed in the middle of the table to share, and eaten with bowls of fluffy white rice. They also have noodles and fried rice dishes on the menu, which we did not try that day...

A wonderful meal! My advice is to go on a group of at least 3 or more. What you saw above was what two people ordered...it was a joyous struggle to finish it all...

Jalan Alor is one of those places to return to again and again. Great food, and unique ambience (as long as you don't mind the heat and humidity, even in the evening). It is also close to Changkat Bukit Bintang, with more upmarket, international dining establishments and bars.

If I had free time in the evening in KL, this is the area I would head to...

Comment

At the end of my trip, when I headed to KLIA for my flight back to Singapore, I also noticed that they now have a local food outlet in the Satellite Departure Terminal, named "Jalan Alor Malaysian Street Food Kitchen".

I am pretty sure the outlet has nothing to do with the famous street in KL, though, and I did not try the food there this time round, but it probably isn't too bad a choice if you want one last bite of local food before flying out of KL...

And that wraps up this TR. Thanks for reading!
                  Last edited by yflyer; 5 July 2020, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Looks like a very reasonable option for Sentral especially if departing on very early flight. Thanks for sharing.
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                      Looks like a very reasonable option for Sentral especially if departing on very early flight. Thanks for sharing.
                      Thanks, KeithMEL! Yes a place I would be happy to stay in again. Perhaps next time I will remember to pack my swimming trunks, and go try out the rooftop pool...

Comment

Working...
                      X