Westin Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westin Singapore

I recently completed a three night stay here and in the absence of much about it on here, I though I would give it a quick review, sans pictures...

Location : Its in Asia Square Tower Two on Marina View, which is in the 'new' CBD development area. As a result not all taxi drivers know where the hotel is (the one that took me from the Hyatt wanted to go to the Stamford, which is the old Westin and now the Swissotel) but Asia Square Tower Two, or 'near Lau Pa Sat' tends to help.

It is much closer to Downtown MRT that I initially though with an entrance about 4-5 minutes walk away. There is actually a subway connection immediately in front of the hotel but it is still closed and the hotel staff don't expect it to open imminently, why they didn't say. It will make it great for getting to the MRT when it does. It took me about 15-20 minutes to walk to Boat Quay and about the same back from MBS.

Lobby / Reception : This is where it loses a lot of brownie points - a double lift system, one of my long time pet 'dislikes'. The first lift takes you up to reception on the 32nd floor, where to be fair there are fabulous views out across Marine Bay and in particular over the PSA Port. It's an absolute must for any Ship Spotters. There is a Lobby Lounge Bar here that is quite nice, aided by the fabulous view.

Rooms : Despite asking for a view out over the sea/PSA I got a sort of 'side view' that had me looking over the pool area and outdoor bar area of Cook and Brew. The room was pretty decent and much the same as most modern rooms in new build hotels, nothing to complain about but nothing to write home about either. I didn't get a Suite as a Plat but I know the place was running pretty busy and I couldn't be bothered arguing.

Club Lounge : Is on the 35th floor and is a very nice with fabulous views from the small number of tables on the side looking out over the Sea / Port. To the other side is the pool and an outdoor area for lounge guests to use. The drinks were the usual stuff although it is the first club lounge in Singapore I have been in that didn't have Tiger. Maybe their sales team is slipping....

Dining / Drinking : I had breakfast in the lounge each day so didn't get the chance to try the full breakfast in Seasonal Tastes, even though I was told I could have breakfast their at no extra cost. I did have a drink in Cook and Brew a couple of evenings and thought it was a very nice place to unwind, especially if you can get a table on the small outdoor terrace that again has fabulous views.

Staff : The person who checked me in si probably in the wrong job as I don't think I have come across a less interested check in staff member in a while. However, the girsl in the lounge were fabulous, especially one girl from Malacca who was working one evening..

Price : At around SGD 400-500 it is high, imho, but due to it's location and the market it is aimed at, ie the number of banking/finance institutions nearby and the lack of other hotel options, I think they will get that most of the time.

Verdict : A welcome addition (oops, though it was Business Traveller for a minute... ...). It is good to have another Starwood option in Singapore as the Sheraton is crap, basically, the St Regis not much better (despite it's price...) and the W is on Sentosa, so we should be grateful for another choice. The dual lift system will always annoy me but I really do like the views. Unfortunately it is clear there are going to be other buildings going up nearby (one is already starting across the road) so I don't think those lovely views will be there forever. Still, you can enjoy them for the next couple of years I would think.

Is it worth the money ?. In Singapore Hotel terms it probably is, in real terms I would say not. But that's the market in Singapore, and unless the GBP can get back up to 3.5 to the SGD (yeah right) they are all going to seem expensive for us Brits.

Would I return ?. I would imagine so, but the Hyatt remains my number one choice in Singapore at the moment. The Conrad would be joint top but the destruction of HHonors has sadly removed that from the list for now.

And for us mere non-Plat mortals, the Exec floor rooms can be had for 14.5k Starpoints per night, which makes it one of the better redemption deals in Singapore I think. Certainly the equivalent paid price for the Exec room was far, far more than (my personal) cash value for the Starpoints.

Glad that you found it (more or less) up to scratch - I hope to try it on my next visit.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      LocationIt is much closer to Downtown MRT that I initially though with an entrance about 4-5 minutes walk away. There is actually a subway connection immediately in front of the hotel but it is still closed and the hotel staff don't expect it to open imminently, why they didn't say.
      There's a yet-to-be-built development between that entrance and the Downtown MRT station. So that entrance currently goes no where right now.

Is it worth the money ?. In Singapore Hotel terms it probably is, in real terms I would say not. But that's the market in Singapore, and unless the GBP can get back up to 3.5 to the SGD (yeah right) they are all going to seem expensive for us Brits.
      It's a steal, compared to what I'm paying for at the motelish Hilton at Canary Wharf next week. At GBP320, it's ridiculously expensive at any currency except bitcoins. But I just hate commuting on the Tube in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
        And for us mere non-Plat mortals, the Exec floor rooms can be had for 14.5k Starpoints per night, which makes it one of the better redemption deals in Singapore I think. Certainly the equivalent paid price for the Exec room was far, far more than (my personal) cash value for the Starpoints.
        You gotta be mad to use 14.5K starpoints per night on a hotel I have never redeemed a single SPG point on any hotel, as soon as I get to 20K they go straight across to become 25K KF miles.

The lounge is nice, but it's not good enough to spend 4000 starpoints, never mind 14,000. They are far more valuable as miles IMO.

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
        It's a steal, compared to what I'm paying for at the motelish Hilton at Canary Wharf next week. At GBP320, it's ridiculously expensive at any currency except bitcoins. But I just hate commuting on the Tube in the morning.
        Fair point, but then I would never think of spending 320 GBP on a Hilton Hotel in London anyway. Us 'Northerners' don't consider London as part of the UK anyway, it's like a country all of it's own far removed from all reality.

Comment

I've blown a fair few Starpoints (and HH points) at locales where the exchange rate isn't to my advantage, especially in the UK on some fancy hotels

In fact I've only recently converted my first ever 20k Starpoints into KF miles

Comment

You gotta be mad to use 14.5K starpoints per night on a hotel I have never redeemed a single SPG point on any hotel, as soon as I get to 20K they go straight across to become 25K KF miles.
            Well, I have a completely different set of economics due to credit card conversion Suffice to say, if I wanted KF points, I can get them far cheaper than converting through SPG.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              I've blown a fair few Starpoints (and HH points) at locales where the exchange rate isn't to my advantage, especially in the UK on some fancy hotels
              I've used all my HH points on room redemptions, not much else to do with them.

Not sure what fancy hotels you stayed at in the UK, I didn't think we had any.

Originally posted by stargold View Post
              Well, I have a completely different set of economics due to credit card conversion Suffice to say, if I wanted KF points, I can get them far cheaper than converting through SPG.
              As can, and do, I. But I just feel I get better value for them from making 20K into 25K KF miles. Maybe it's a bit different for me as a TPP as I cannot remember the last time I was unable to get an SQ redemption I wanted.

Comment

I stayed here in January. There's a young Singaporean man working as the daytime concierge downstairs (not on the 32nd floor but at entry level) who's an architecture and urban planning graduate and seems to know everything about the city.

The differences between room categories and prices are primarily view, plus executive lounge access of course. Within the categories, rooms are of different sizes and arranged differently. I had a base level room with lounge access (as SPG Plat) with views of the container port and construction that had a desk by a huge window, a sitting area with small L-shaped sofa, and king bed. They have stylish bathrooms. Also, it's not the usual Westin tan, ivory, and green decor but something more individual and modern that reminds one of a W done in light colors.

If you go out the main exit and go to your right, there's a convenience store in the building (but you must go outside of the hotel) that sells high quality primarily western snack food, sandwiches and salads, and alcohol.

Comment

There's plenty of good food choices downstairs when you walk out the lobby and turn left, but it's an extremely pricey area, I have to say. Some great coffees if you're willing to pay $8 onwards

Comment

There's plenty of good food choices downstairs when you walk out the lobby and turn left, but it's an extremely pricey area, I have to say. Some great coffees if you're willing to pay $8 onwards
                    You only need to go a bit farther and get satay in the evening, although there are a lot of F&B outlets in Asia Square.

Comment

The Satay street (extremely close to where I work) does have atmosphere, but it's definitely a bit of a tourist trap, as anyone around here would acknowledge. 7pm is when they shut down the entire road, and out come the satay touts. Since Lau Pa Sat, which the Satay street borders, is under renovation, it's less busy nowadays

Comment

IMO, singapore's most expensive food court...

Ordered 2 Ramens & a chicken karage..... $32...

Comment

Stick with the kaya toast nearby if you want to keep change in your pocket

Comment

If you're in the area and want to splurge a little, try the Imperial Treasure Super Peking Duck (Asia Square). It's on Level 2 of the podium. The main item is of course the Peking Duck, which sells pretty quickly, but the not so well known dish that I just must have is their crayfish/large prawn noodle.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              IMO, singapore's most expensive food court...

Ordered 2 Ramens & a chicken karage..... $32...
                              At the Shangri La (Orange grove), I almost collapsed when reading the room service menu, chicken rice was $26+++ if I remember correctly

Comment

Working...
                              X