Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visit Britain Advice

Hello everyone!

I am planning a trip to the UK over the summer, and I will base myself out of London to visit many other English cities like Manchester etc.

I am a bit confused with the National Rail system - sometimes a journey from Manchester to London would cost me £54, and yet sometimes it will cost me £22.

Is it worth purchasing a "BritRail" pass/any other train passes? (i intend to do about 15-20 train rides within England).

Thanks in advance.
    zxcvbn

The train fare varies depending on the train company you use, the time of day you travel and (I believe) how far in advance you book.

I've never heard of a BritRail pass before (now I do!) so can't help you there.

Comment

Thank you jhm.
      Just FYI: the BritRail pass is only available to non-British residents.
      zxcvbn

Comment

Definitely for the longer journeys booking in advance can save a fortune. However you have to book the precise train you want to take so you have to be able to fix your plans early on. The long distance train ticket pricing is very similar to airline pricing where they have so many tickets at a cheap price and when they are gone then you have to buy one in the next price band etc.

Comment

The train ticket prices are based on factors like advanced purchase; flexibility (schedule change fees); time of travel (off-peak vs. peak); day of travel (workday vs. weekend) -- much like airline tickets, as Lobster noted.

I assume you have London accommodations sorted out? London seems an expensive city (and tucked into the SE corner) to base yourself out of if you have a trip across the country over an extended period of time.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thank you Lobster and jjpb3 for your advice on train tickets.

As I am planning to spend more time in London/south England, would any SQTalkers recommend any good (and mainly cheap) hotels/bed and breakfasts in London?
            Thank you
            zxcvbn

Comment

Working...
            X