Westin Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
    IMO, singapore's most expensive food court...

Ordered 2 Ramens & a chicken karage..... $32...
    Originally posted by Durian View Post
    At the Shangri La (Orange grove), I almost collapsed when reading the room service menu, chicken rice was $26+++ if I remember correctly
    I love Singaporean's complaints about the cost of food or drink.

Condo's at prices that would make central London blush ; shrug of the shoulders. CoE costing more than the price of a car itself in most other countries: ho-hum. The car itself costing three times more than other places ; so be it. However, if anyone charges a few dollars more for some chicken rice or some such and all hell breaks loose.

It reminds me of that funny list that was around years ago that was along similar lines. A Singaporean mate sent it to me and he said it was spot on. I'll see if I can dig it out at some point...

Comment

Not complaining. Merely being factual.

Comment

I wasn't aware that making complaints was forbidden on this forum.

For an expat who is not on a singapore salary scale, the expat would have definitely benefited tremendously from having an overly higher discretionary spending capacity but it doesn't mean he/she can gloat about the complaints of locals who are simply trying to earn a decent living and be able to have decent standard of living. We would expect that hotels such as Westin may charge a premium over food court prices but not to the point of excessiveness due to lack of price controls. Unlike condo prices or COEs, food prices are set entirely by operators themselves with almost no government intervention.

The recent case of Anton Casey in the local media demonstrate very clearly that such expressions of gloating whether in print or online is not welcome and disrespectful to the local community. The local community may not have the same spending capacity of our expat visitors but they should not be looked down upon or gloated for complaining in order to enjoy a decent standard of living The singapore government has also released several statements stating their view clearly.

It is unfortunate that i read of such comment from someone who i though has always exercised caution irregardless of their seniority or administrative capability.
        Last edited by RHG; 13 April 2014, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Aiyoh why so sensitive?

At the same token one could take issue with your comment on "spendig capacity of expat visitors" and as an expat being compared to a "brick" like that Anton Casey guy. A very small minority of expats working and living in Singapore is that rich and then I hope the majority is not that insensitive towards the locals. But then let's not dwell on that.

On the other hand it is just plain hilarious how priorities of some people can sometimes appear out of whack. I got a local friend who can talk about buying an Audi R8 used at just under half a million SGD and in the same sentence complain that his favourite local food place has been raising prices by 1-2 dollars. Nothing wrong with the point, just perspective I guess.

End now back to topic.
          Last edited by demue; 22 April 2014, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            If you're in the area and want to splurge a little, try the Imperial Treasure Super Peking Duck (Asia Square). It's on Level 2 of the podium. The main item is of course the Peking Duck, which sells pretty quickly, but the not so well known dish that I just must have is their crayfish/large prawn noodle.
            post deleted
            Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:50 AM.

Comment

I motion that Singapore's 'current events/rising cost of living' be given its own separate thread as there's alot of viewpoints on that matter (that have little to do with the Westin Singapore, which is the title of this thread!)

Personally I find it hilarious that people go to Dempsey for free parking and pay $90 for a meal, it's all in psychology!

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                I love Singaporean's complaints about the cost of food or drink.

Condo's at prices that would make central London blush ; shrug of the shoulders. CoE costing more than the price of a car itself in most other countries: ho-hum. The car itself costing three times more than other places ; so be it. However, if anyone charges a few dollars more for some chicken rice or some such and all hell breaks loose.

It reminds me of that funny list that was around years ago that was along similar lines. A Singaporean mate sent it to me and he said it was spot on. I'll see if I can dig it out at some point...
                Just for the record, I am not Singaporean, nor do I own a condo or a car here but I do eat chicken rice

Comment

post deleted
                  Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:50 AM.

Comment

heading there in a few days

Comment

Originally posted by RHG View Post
                      I wasn't aware that making complaints was forbidden on this forum.

For an expat who is not on a singapore salary scale, the expat would have definitely benefited tremendously from having an overly higher discretionary spending capacity but it doesn't mean he/she can gloat about the complaints of locals who are simply trying to earn a decent living and be able to have decent standard of living. We would expect that hotels such as Westin may charge a premium over food court prices but not to the point of excessiveness due to lack of price controls. Unlike condo prices or COEs, food prices are set entirely by operators themselves with almost no government intervention.

The recent case of Anton Casey in the local media demonstrate very clearly that such expressions of gloating whether in print or online is not welcome and disrespectful to the local community. The local community may not have the same spending capacity of our expat visitors but they should not be looked down upon or gloated for complaining in order to enjoy a decent standard of living The singapore government has also released several statements stating their view clearly.

It is unfortunate that i read of such comment from someone who i though has always exercised caution irregardless of their seniority or administrative capability.
                      Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, what a silly thing to post.

I could tear it apart line by line, but that wouldn't be fair. Instead I will leave it up as a classic example of how to completely misread the content and intention of a message on the internet.

Pssst, it's sometimes all in the smilies.

Comment

Think the thread has gone way off-topic...

Comment

... Quite! Play nice, children

Somewhat trying to bring it back to topic:

Apparently the glass doors to the bathroom in the normal rooms have a one-way shading, but the wrong way around! You can see into the bathroom from the room, but it's blacked out from within the bathroom to the outside.

Surely it should be the other way around, or am I too young and innocent to understand?

Comment

Young, perhaps...

Innocent...... I'm not so sure.................

Comment

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
                              Back on to topic (sort of). I and my colleagues went to Seasonal Tastes -- the Westin buffet for lunch today. On a Tuesday, it's usually guaranteed to be pretty empty. Not today!!!
                              We turned up at 11.30 and were told that they were fully booked with a party of 50 taking up most of the space.... So my hope that I would be writing a food report was dashed!
                              Sorry for the let down.

When I do get a chance to sample it I will write one --- assuming someone else doesn't get there first.
                              I wasn't very impressed by the food to be honest. Quite ordinary hotel standard with not much special stuff.

Comment

Had my first stay in about a year at this place a couple of weeks ago and it was another mixed bag.

The Good. Definitely the best room I have had in half a dozen stays there, although still not a suite. Not too bothred about that as I only stay here when attaneding an exhibition at MBS so am rarely in the room. It was a corner room (4301 IIRC) with great views out of both windows. One over PSA and Tanjong Pagar, which got the sunset on a clear day, and the other way over the still unsed reclaimed land and out to sea.

The Bad. The new building going up opposite the hotel, which is called Marina One if I am not mistaken, seems to be working 24 hours which means that while it is nowhere near as noisy at night as the day, it can be enough for you to notice. And as any regular long haul travellers know, sleep can be a very fine balancing act and if something disturbs you, you are ****ed. It was such a pain that I went to the Hyatt on the last night just to get some sleep, and it's not often I say that....

The wifi is still a pain, with you having to constantly log back in time and again when you move from room, to club lounge/lobby/bar and vv. It's not the fastest speed either at times. Last is still the taxis, which at anything approaching rush hour or in the rain rarely turn up unless dropping someone off as they all head to the large queue at Asia Square Tower 1. I just took to asking them to call one each time I needed one.

That said, I still rather like the place as it is handy for MBS and also meeting my mate who has an apartment nearby in his local bar, The Bank, which is just around the corner. It's also handy for LPS and BQ, both of which I vsisited during my stay.

Comment

Working...
                                X