Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9V-SQK partially burnt after tow-tug catches fire

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...apore-airlines

Incident happened as 9V-SQK was being towed to T3 to operate SQ890|29NOV.

The aircraft has been towed to the SIAEC hangars.
    Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Anyone know how extensive is the damage? I hope she can be fixed, 14.9 years old is pushing the retirement age by SQ standard.

Comment

It's recently got an upgraded IFE and seats in Y as well.

Comment

Videos of the fire looked pretty bad. Will upload them later.

Comment

Looks like the front of the aircraft sustained quite some damage and the crew need to evacuate using the emergency slide. At almost 15 years old, the aircraft may likely not be fully repired unless SIA still wants to flythe aircraft for another few years which will put SIA as the first time in operating a passenger aircraft beyond 15 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
            At almost 15 years old, the aircraft may likely not be fully repired unless SIA still wants to flythe aircraft for another few years which will put SIA as the first time in operating a passenger aircraft beyond 15 years old.
            Hmmm I believe SQ's oldest aircraft is currently 9V-SVB which is more than 16 year's old.

Hopefully SQK only sustained cosmetic damages!

Comment

Originally posted by pokfur View Post
              Hmmm I believe SQ's oldest aircraft is currently 9V-SVB which is more than 16 year's old.
              Correct! SVB has had that title for quite a while too. IIRC the previous oldest aircraft was SQE which they retained to provide a regional F cabin on CGK services until they had freed up enough 773s with new 77Ws in order to take over. That was 4 years ago.

Actually after checking, I correct myself: SRH held the record from mid-2013 to early 2015, departing just prior to its 15th birthday. SVB has been the eldest since January 2015 and has surpassed the age of any previous SQ passenger craft that I'm aware of.
              Last edited by SQ228; 29 November 2017, 04:39 PM. Reason: Extra info

Comment

honestly, with the latest refits on the 772s, however old the frames are, the aircraft still look pretty good capable of flying quite a number more years.

the only downside will be the business cabin that hasn't been upgraded aside from new upholstering....then again, i guess SQ doesn't plan to change their regional J class product.

i hope SQK can be repaired!!

Comment

Am surprised that SIA now keeps its aircrafts now above 15 years old. Remember the earlier days when SIA boasts of its new planes and and one of the lowest average age of its planes and replaces the aircrafts when they reach 10 years of sevice and then later to 12 years.

Comment

Managed to photograph 9V-SQK as it was being towed past T3 toward the SIAEC hangar. There was a 'Follow Me' leading the way and an AES Fire Engine and another airport vehicle tailing behind it.
                    Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                      Am surprised that SIA now keeps its aircrafts now above 15 years old. Remember the earlier days when SIA boasts of its new planes and and one of the lowest average age of its planes and replaces the aircrafts when they reach 10 years of sevice and then later to 12 years.
                      The way SIA operated bear some similarity to COE for cars right? Deregister before 10 years and keep the fleet new...

Nowadays new COE expensive so many car owners just extend their COE. SIA copying this too? Haha.....

Comment

What could be the possible cause of this incident?

Comment

Should be the SRL plane. That Ultimo fitted plane really need to be scrapped asap

Comment

99.99% reader would agree

Comment

Thanks for sharing 9V-SPL. First I'm glad to know no one got injured inside the plane. But I'm sure it can be repairable like SWB similarly did. At this time if they do decide to repair it what will really happen to the 2006 seats? I am sure they will remove them from the plane and not let it go to waste.

Comment

Working...
                              X