Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 years old 747-412 still counted as safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 years old 747-412 still counted as safe?

just wondering...singapore airline operating 747-412 on sin-melb (the plane's fist flight was on 1996, 10 years old) ... still safe?

anybody here scared of flying? how did you guyz cope with it.....

thanks....

Age does not matter. It's how well you maintain the airplanes that matters and you can trust SQ on that.

Comment

The aircraft that the Queen and I rode on to BKK a couple of years back (operating as SQ64) was about 13 years old. In fact, many of the 9V-SM* series aircraft are more than 10 years old, though most of them have been retired. I agree with Bon -- you can trust SQ on its maintenance.
      My Cafe Adventures
      Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
      http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Maintenance is the key here. 10 years is comparatively nothing to what US airlines have in their fleet. One plane can cost more than 100 million bucks and no one would dump them after just 3-5 years of use. Watch out for those airlines in Indonesia, some of them has new aircrafts, but I will bet that NW's DC9 will outlast them.

Btw, where are you coming from tokyonite? If you are from Japan, JAL also operates quite a number of old aircrafts and they are pretty safe too.
        Last edited by singaporu_kooku; 4 September 2007, 01:42 PM.

Comment

HAHA. Wait till you guys get a ride on Air Koryo.
          We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
            HAHA. Wait till you guys get a ride on Air Koryo.
            Yeah. Those IL-62s from the 1960s...

Are you the one who posted a TR for the trip to Pyongyang?
            My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
              Are you the one who posted a TR for the trip to Pyongyang?
              I'm pretty sure that was SQOZflyer.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                I'm pretty sure that was SQOZflyer.
                Yeah, I'm not so lucky to be able to go to DPRK. Neither do I have the ability to post such a nice TR.
                We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

For now the remaining SQ 744s are 10 yrs and above - oldest is in its 13th year of flying - mainly as a result of the A380 delays for 2 yrs. And the 744s will be flying for at least another 2 to 3 yrs before they are all phased out.
                  Even SQ 1st few 772s are in its 9th year of service.

Comment

Not to worry, our jumbos are very well maintained, with the execption of 9V-SPR, most of our jumbos are problem free. They have a strict maintenance programme to follow. In fact, i won't be surprised if SQ will keep them running for another 10 yrs! They are very reliable and easy to maintain unlike the A345.

Comment

SQ 744s are well maintained and are safe to board one even though if they are over ten years old. We have other airlines in the world who have planes that are over 30 years old and still in active service. 10 years is still fine.

Comment

Originally posted by banx007 View Post
                        They are very reliable and easy to maintain unlike the A345.
                        Welcome to SQTalk, banx007!
                        My Cafe Adventures

Comment

true!

10 years old is nothing... after i did a search for China airline on Wikipedia.

okok..may be i watched too many "seconds from disaster" on youtube (think too much indeed)

thanks guyz for all da reply. By the way, i'll still take a sleeping pill before getting on da plane...haha

Comment

In fact, i won't be surprised if SQ will keep them running for another 10 yrs!
                            I would be flabbergasted, as SQ have no intention of keeping the 744's for another 10 years.

Comment

In fact, i won't be surprised if SQ will keep them running for another 10 yrs! They are very reliable and easy to maintain unlike the A345.
                              Yeah but I suspect SQ would like to get a higher resale value the earlier it can sell /release it.

BTW, what's special about the A345 maintenance. Anything that sticks out as unique?

Originally posted by tokyonite View Post
                              By the way, i'll still take a sleeping pill before getting on da plane...haha
                              That's right..in the worst case scenario, you'll never know what hit you.

Comment

Working...
                              X