Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charkuayteow, Charsiew, Chendol and more (Penang on AirAsia and Jetstar)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charkuayteow, Charsiew, Chendol and more (Penang on AirAsia and Jetstar)

Last weekend, I did a foodie trip to Penang, just to savour the local Penang food again. Would be flying up on AirAsia and returning on Jetstar. Checked in online on AirAsia's website up to 2 weeks prior to departure, but I forgot to print my boarding passes and thus had them printed at the airport counter.

AirAsia boarding pass, though on a thin slip of paper, is nicely designed.

It was a lengthy walk to the gate at D49. Aircraft had arrived early and boarding had commenced.

17 February 2017
    Air Asia
    AK 756
    Singapore (SIN) - Penang (PEN)
    A320
    9M-AHZ
    Economy Class
    Flight Time: 52M

Boarding the aircraft with the crew cheerfully welcoming us onboard.

The standard tight LCC seat pitch.

View out the window.

Reading materials.

Boarding was quick and orderly even though the flight was totally full. Doors were closed right on schedule.

Had a long taxi to Rwy02C for departure for the slightly less than an hour flight to Penang.

Video of takeoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IID13JvFvV8

Cabin service started immediately after seatbelt signs were switched off, with pre-ordered meals delivered followed by BOB service.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

We had pre-ordered meals for the flight. At only S$4 (or RM10) per meal with drink, I would say that the price is resonable, considering that the Singapore LCCs would charge at least S$12 for a hot meal. Dessert is an additional S$3 top-up.

Roast chicken with cream sauce and vegetables. Came with a cup of mineral water or a small can of Thai-branded cola. The meal was piping hot and tasty.

The other selection is the seasonal special, Nonya prawn curry with rice. Did not look very appealing but was spicy and good as well.

The red velvet cake, which came in a round container, was surpringly sinfully rich, creamy and yummy.

Very soon we were descending into Penang and landed on Rwy04 15min ahead of schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlQOnMPwKxU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib_Pey6QPdw

Parked at the terminal. We were the last international arrival for the day.

Disembarking using stairs.

Overall, a good LCC experience on AirAsia, with reasonable airfare and value-for-money and delicious pre-ordered meals.

Immigration and customs was hassle free and a 15min overpriced and speeding cab ride later, we were at our hotel in Georgetown. Stayed at Hotel Jen again and upon request, was allocated one of the refurbished rooms which is much more modern than the older room. The entire hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment.

Lift lobby of one of the refurbished levels.

Guest room. The smell of new furniture is still evident.

Last edited by ycp81; 26 February 2017, 12:39 AM.

My Travel Map

Comment

New and simply furnished as according to the Hotel Jen theme.

The next morning, we walked to Lebuh Chulia to try a stall, Wai Kee, famous for its roast meats. The char siew and roast duck simply tasted heavenly!

Round the corner is a nonya kueh eatery, which offers a wide selection of tasty and colourful nonya kuehs. It is famous for its nasi lemak as well, was is indeed very lemak (coconutty) and fragrant! Great place for a taste of traditional nonya kuehs and cuisine.

Some street art.

My Travel Map

Comment

Some more of the famous Penang street art.

After a relaxing foot massage at Prangin Mall and a movie at 1st Avenue, it was time for dinner. Unfortunately, the famous duck kuay chup stall along Kimberly Lane was closed, so we tried other local food stalls instead.

Ee-mee

Penang Char Kuay Teow

Penang Laksa

This was followed by supper at New Lane Hawker stalls. Ordered curry mee, more char kuay teow and Lor Bak.

Brunch for the last day was at Leong Kee Tim Sum Restaurant. The piping hot custurd bun with oozing custurd filling is simply awesome!

Not forgetting the original Penang Road Teochew Chendol.

My Travel Map

Comment

For the flight back, we got an Uber ride to the airport, which is half the price of the exorbidant airport taxis. Jetstar's check-in counters were busy but there was only a short queue at the web check-in counter.

Got my boarding pass.

Due to 3-4 consecutive departing international flights, the departure immigration queue was rather long. In fact, the longest I had experienced in Penang. Through immigration and security into the departure hall.

TR A320 would be departing ahead of us, also back to Singapore.

Big and small cargo aircraft on the ramp.

Our aircraft arriving from Singapore and taxiing in.

19 February 2017
          Jetstar Asia
          3K 676
          Penang (PEN) - Singapore (SIN)
          A320
          9V-JSJ
          Economy Class
          Flight Time: 1H01M

Boarding commenced very soon after the last passenger had disembarked. Heading down the gangway. Unfortunately the sunshade designs prevented a good shot of the aircraft.

Seats and cabin.

Wing view.

Very tight seat pitch, though the seats are well-padded.

My Travel Map

Comment

Inflight magazine and menu.

Again, boarding was fast for the fairly full flight. We soon pushed back for the hour flight to Singapore.

Only a short taxi to the runway but held for a CX Cargo jumbo to land.

And we were off from Rwy04, heading to Singapore.

Video of the takeoff and climb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Ri_NU_1_s

My Travel Map

Comment

BOB service commenced but there were not many takers. Note: BOB prices on Singapore LCCs are too high compared to other Asian budget carriers.

Cruising

Starting the descend just after a short stay at the cruising altitude. Surprisingly there is no hold for landing today despite it being the peak hour.

Video of approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKzW_1h0_-M

Landing on Rwy02L well ahead of schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpMuXRL1io8

Taxi to the gate.

Aircraft parked beside.

It was a standard short-haul LCC flight on Jetstar with efficient and reliable service.

Thanks for reading this short report!

My Travel Map

Comment

thanks vy much for this TR. As much as the food offerings look tremendously yummy, I'm continuously surprised at the amount of food SQTalkers here can stomach all in the name of doing up a TR

Comment

Another great TR ycp81! Reading this at midnight is making me hungry!!
                  God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Thanks for the TR, ycp81! Like Pinkfloyd, all the food pics are giving me cravings...I recently went to Penang as well, but only spent less than a day there (It was a stop on a cruise), and tried just a few of the dishes on offer like the char kway teow. Looks like I need to head back!

Comment

Working...
                    X