New SIN-CBR-WLG Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SIN-CBR-WLG Service

Apparently SQ will be launching a new x4 weekly SIN-CBR-WLG service with an announcement next week! The flight is expected to be using the A330's, if this is true, 2 new destinations will be added onto SQ's route map, which will be very interesting.

I guess this route would see a lot of subsidising to see it afloat at first, especially from the Australian government.

Singapore Airlines to launch direct flights to Canberra
    Joe Aston | 11 January 2016

Calling it Canberra International Airport always seemed a little ambitious, wouldn't you agree? The international part, we mean. Even Adelaide has direct flights to New Zealand and Asia (popular with fugitives carrying duffle bags full of Centrelink money). But despite the best efforts of proprietor Terry Snow, his son Stephen Byron, and the ACT government in recent years, there's not a single scheduled flight, in or out, where you you need your passport.

Until now. We understand Singapore Airlines chief executive Goh Choon Phong will descend on our national capital next week to announce the commencement of four weekly flights between Singapore and Canberra. And thanks to tricky aircraft utilisation, the airline will use the same Airbus A330 to operate an onward Canberra-Wellington return service. As they're so often given cause to say in Pialligo, "It's all happening!"

No doubt Mr Goh will front the cameras alongside ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr, who flew to Singapore in November 2013 to lobby for this precise outcome, and maybe even the electric Warren Truss, for one of his last announcements as federal Transport Minister.

Read More: http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window...0160111-gm3dju

Can Wellington support the A330 with a 2000m runway and gusty landing conditions??
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Interesting. Very Interesting how loads will be like. Well at least SQ has the monopoly for being the only carrier operating international routes to CBR and being the sole operator carrying traffic from CBR-WLG. Foresee lots of governmental traffic

Comment

The politics of this is far more interesting than how they will fill the planes. Surely this would have to be happening in tandem with VA and NZ who would no doubt have to codeshare the CBR-WLG sector to make it in any way viable.

The Australian goverment stumping up money for SQ in preference to QF would be fraught with political danger so I suspect there may be an ulterior motive behind this. SQ has desperately wanted fifth freedom between AU and US for so long. Offering to turn the airport of the nation's capital into an international one is a great way to get one's foot in the door. We have noted on here that the PM is a KFEG member. Making a slight loss to operate this flight may prove beneficial in the long term if it leads to a better and closer relationship with the real powerbrokers in CBR.

I also agree that landing an A330 in WLG would test the skills of the pilots involved. I'm thinking a full A330 (when they are lucky enough to be in that situation) would also test the capacity of WLG's passenger management and amenities.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
          SQ has desperately wanted fifth freedom between AU and US for so long.
          I'm not sure they still want it now given the yields must have plummeted since the time they last asked (when QF and UA had a monopoly on the market). However, CBR could well be a viable alternative to SYD for people staying in the south.

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
            Can Wellington support the A330 with a 2000m runway and gusty landing conditions??
            Yes no problem there. It will be very light for a flight to CBR anyway.

Qantas flew the 747SP and B767 there previously
            My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

I agree with SQ228; this route could definitely be a political minefield. I feel it does have the potential to be economically viable, but I'm not sure how big ex-CBR traffic to Asia is if you don't count government-related business.

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
              Yes no problem there. It will be very light for a flight to CBR anyway.

Qantas flew the 747SP and B767 there previously
              I used to see QF's 767 flights at WLG regularly, and I was often concerned if the runway could handle any widebody.

Comment

This, if it indeed comes to pass, is a tad late for me - I used to lived in CBR for couple of years and then flying SIN-MEL/SYD-CBR every 2-3 months for another couple of years.

I suspect the parties involved in luring SQ are the company/family running CBR (Byron) and the ACT Govt. Probably in the form of discounts/subsidies on landing, handling, leasing, etc. The Commonwealth Government will probably just deploy the Border Force for CIQ duties (CBR has been upgraded to 'international' arrivals/departures for sometime now). But I don't see the Commonwealth Govt involved, esp with the politics of Sydney's 2nd airport embroiled.

In that regard, if CBR clinches SQ to SIN and WLG, it will help raise CBR as the alternative to SYD. Still, I wonder whether the bureaucrats, diplomats and what-else in CBR will fill 1/3 of weekly 4x A333.

Price will be decisive, I believe, to make the SQ-CBR JV tick, drawing in pax south of Wollongong. And, since i'll be returning to CBR someday, will be watching out for that price.

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                  I agree with SQ228; this route could definitely be a political minefield. I feel it does have the potential to be economically viable, but I'm not sure how big ex-CBR traffic to Asia is if you don't count government-related business.

I used to see QF's 767 flights at WLG regularly, and I was often concerned if the runway could handle any widebody.
                  I think they are betting on the general traffic between Canberra and overseas. The demand of Australians going overseas is increasing, and currently everyone in Canberra need to do the 3 hour bus ride (or 50 minutes plane trip) to Sydney/Melbourne before they can catch a plane overseas.

With this new route, SQ can possibly pick up this load of passengers and strengthen its transport hub in Singapore.

Comment

As an SQ fan who lives in CBR and has many friends in SIN, this is very exciting for me. One less hop to almost anywhere. I also have a couple of good friends (one Singaporean, actually) in WLG, and the wife loves NZ as a holiday.

It will be interesting to see what loads are like. If they can get it right (flight timings, product, lounge access), they will do very well with govt J business to SIN and onwards. These will be highly profitable passengers, so they might be able to get away with light loads. As an example, every time my wife flies CBR-PER-CBR, it costs the Australian taxpayers S$5k+ for her J class ticket. Sometimes quite a bit more. This is for 3-4 hours each way in a recliner seat on a 737. They will also do well with govt travel both ways across the Tasman. Convenience here will be huge, so things like product, lounge, cost, and even timings are less important.

Comment

SQ has to be thinking about the government loads, but: I wonder if either of the AU or NZ governments have must-fly-local-carrier rules similar to those that the US has. There must not be one in place if they think this route will be profitable.

Comment

Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
                        SQ has to be thinking about the government loads, but: I wonder if either of the AU or NZ governments have must-fly-local-carrier rules similar to those that the US has. There must not be one in place if they think this route will be profitable.
                        Maybe a codeshare with a local carrier (NZ, VA) will suffice? Apparently UA lost some US government contract to B6 which will now be the preferred US gov carrier for travel to DXB, albeit on B6-codeshared-EK-operated flights. Which is probably why UA is pulling out of DXB.

Comment

Finally! CBR International airport can actually call itself that without being a wee bit embarassed

Comment

Originally posted by thelongroad View Post
                            As an SQ fan who lives in CBR and has many friends in SIN, this is very exciting for me. One less hop to almost anywhere. I also have a couple of good friends (one Singaporean, actually) in WLG, and the wife loves NZ as a holiday.
                            I can definitely imagine how excited you would be, especially given it never seemed likely this would ever happen.

Originally posted by thelongroad View Post
                            Convenience here will be huge, so things like product, lounge, cost, and even timings are less important.
                            My guess is that CBR-WLG-CBR will be the day segment with the departure out of CBR likely to be very early, around 0730. It will naturally be worse during the winter without DST. They have to get over to WLG, turn it around, bring it back and have it departing from CBR by 1700 at the very latest as it needs to arrive in SIN by 2200 to offer a full range of onward connections. I can't see any other timing being viable unless they want to sit the A330 on the tarmac in WLG overnight. At least they can be assured of very low runway congestion holding up their schedule! I'll be amazed if one of the four days that it departs out of CBR bound for SIN is not a Friday.

Comment

Is there anyway of finding out when the announcement might me? It was suggested to be this week. I am keen to go to its possible to find out when it is due to take place (as I assume it will be at Canberra Airport)

Comment

Working...
                              X