US restricts electronics in hand luggage from 10 airports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US restricts electronics in hand luggage from 10 airports

This is creating quite a buzz and talk about conspiracy theories that it is protectionism leveled against the ME4 given Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha and Istanbul is on that list.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...t/3613266.html

What does everyone think? Will you be willing to fly with your laptops and Ipads in your checked luggage?

UK now as well: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39343971

This makes me suspect they've got some sort of intelligence on an imminent/potential use of large electronics maliciously. That said, the list of countries aren't identical for US and UK.

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
      This is creating quite a buzz and talk about conspiracy theories that it is protectionism leveled against the ME4 given Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha and Istanbul is on that list.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...t/3613266.html

What does everyone think? Will you be willing to fly with your laptops and Ipads in your checked luggage?
      I certainly live without an iPad and a laptop. 90% of the time I use my phone for any means of communication including using Wifi too of course

Comment

Whilst not often using a laptop in flight, preferring IFE or sleep, I would have a problem not taking it on board.....

1) The time in the lounge prior to flying is better working on a laptop than a phone.
        2) Checking a laptop is a bad idea, damage/theft wise.
        3) LCC have nothing, though I rarely fly.

Once they start down this road, it never stops.

What about the guiding light that was airlines removing all IFE, in preference to installing Wi-Fi and having passengers connect (for free) to an on board IFE server to watch/listen/play via their own devices, given they were usually on board anyway? Some airlines have done this already on some aircraft and I hate to think how many are currently under production or order with this specification.

Comment

I'm going to have issues placing my iPad, laptop and DSLR in the checked-in luggage. There's only that much IFE I can deal with. That means no ME transit for me until this nonsense blows over.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
            Whilst not often using a laptop in flight, preferring IFE or sleep, I would have a problem not taking it on board.....

1) The time in the lounge prior to flying is better working on a laptop than a phone.
            2) Checking a laptop is a bad idea, damage/theft wise.
            3) LCC have nothing, though I rarely fly.

Once they start down this road, it never stops.

What about the guiding light that was airlines removing all IFE, in preference to installing Wi-Fi and having passengers connect (for free) to an on board IFE server to watch/listen/play via their own devices, given they were usually on board anyway? Some airlines have done this already on some aircraft and I hate to think how many are currently under production or order with this specification.
            You raise a very good point about damage and theft. I even took my external hard drive with me this past trip, no issues or problems going thru security. I think that part I can definitely agree with. My father would definitely freak out for sure if it was his iPad. Maybe for that reason, if I need to use a laptop for whatever reason, then I would definitely have a problem then.

Then also comes privacy. I'm sure it is password protected so they can't see our data and contents. Unless you plug in an external hard drive that's another matter. If I was carrying an external hard drive too then yes I guess I would have an issue too.

Comment

When a conspiracy theorist is employed as a chief strategist, expecting rational decisions is no longer rational in itself. One could quite reasonably mount a good argument for Belgium being included on the list, if actual threat of terrorism was the sole ground for this "edict", given how much real terrorist activity has been traced back to the country, the heavily increased screening measures on international trains originating from Belgium and the fact that exactly one year ago there was an attack on its major international airport. Banning every EU diplomat from working on a laptop while flying to the US out of BRU ever likely to happen?

I usually place my laptop in checked luggage by putting the entire padded laptop inside my suitcase in between clothing items and I've never to this day had a problem. I like to be free of extra weight when I move around airports, but if ever I end up with my checked luggage being overweight I can easily pull it out and carry it.

But planning to enter the US in 2 weeks for the first time ever, I really don't know what to expect when I land. I've read numerous reports of laptops and phones having their data captured by customs staff and long, hostile interrogation of random, innocent visitors. One thing I'm in no doubt about is that all this nonsense is going to have an effect on the US tourism industry. As much as I'm now regretting having booked the ticket, I can't say I ever truly believed that clown would get elected.

Comment

This ban could actually turn out to be beneficial for Asian carriers such as SQ and CX, as people would rather avoid the hassle of flying with the ME3 to connect to Asia-Pacific.

Comment

It's just plain silly and makes me lose respect ...

What's next ? Cutting off the internet entirely

Comment

Per One Mile At A Time [http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ctronics-ban/] there's also a lot of speculation that it's being used as a type of trade protection. Whilst the ban primarily includes 'high risk' countries in the MENA region, it notably excludes Nigeria, a state with current instability. The difference here is that Delta flies to Nigeria, whilst no American carriers fly to any of the other affected ports.

Having said that, after hearing about the UK taking out similar measures (that in fact affect British Airways), this speculation becomes less supportive. Who knows...
                    Fly well,
                    Travel safe,
                    And have a pleasant journey.

Comment

EK is offering a solution of sorts that'll allow transiting pax to the US to use their laptops on the first leg.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/23/news...dubai-airport/

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                        You raise a very good point about damage and theft. I even took my external hard drive with me this past trip, no issues or problems going thru security. I think that part I can definitely agree with. My father would definitely freak out for sure if it was his iPad. Maybe for that reason, if I need to use a laptop for whatever reason, then I would definitely have a problem then.

I can't go to the added hassle of an external HDD and constantly sync files to/from the server AND laptop. I bought a laptop over a tablet/Surface purely because I can get everything I need on the internal drive and don't need to rely on either an External HDD or Cloud Storage (internet is still very patchy on a worldwide basis and roaming access via 4G is some countries still stupid prices).

I shudder to think what can go missing if there's a rouge guy with a TSA Key. I've already had cases broken into on trips to KL and Manila, albeit a few years ago when I still used soft cases with zips, which I don't use now. Nothing inside worth stealing because valuables are hand carried but......

Dubai airports are already talking about loosing USD2m this year as a result of the ban but I'm sure there is one guy making padded/invisible bags or boxes that safely stores electronics in check-in baggage.....at a price. Those guys would do well going forward, as such bans likely get extended.

Comment

putting all those, lithium batteries, on the bottom of the plane.....nice

Comment

Originally posted by SQ747 View Post
                            Per...there's also a lot of speculation that it's being used as a type of trade protection.
                            A few liberals complaining is HARDLY "...a lot of speculation…" Any person with the ability to think logically will see the flaws in the writing: "…another Muslim ban?" -- we never had one in the current administration! "…protectionist trade policies? -- come on! And then, you only have to look at the ridiculous comments section.

Originally posted by SQ747 View Post
                            ...this speculation becomes less supportive.
                            You see?

But sometimes, writing out your thought process can be read as something you didn't mean at all.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                            X