A380/77W OnAir WiFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
    Out of curiosity, did the ex- 77WT's (SWJ and SWK, now 77WR) have T-Mobile Wifi or OnAir? Only asking because they were refitted as 77WT, and now 77WR (with only a change by removing a few Y rows).

Hopefully KrisWorld is also the newest too (or if not, is it like the current older 77W and 77WN)?
    Yes KrisWorld on the 77WRs is the new system similar to that fitted on 777WN. Not sure about in flight internet though

Comment

So far the recent older 77Ws that have been taken out and refitted have had Wifi (OnAir) so far according to this list. Has anyone else flown a 77WR with enough evidence that Wifi is still OnAir? If not, I hope 77WRs have T-Mobile Wifi.

After SWN comes back in service (I assume it could be the last week of November), SWO is possibly next (Unless a different reg is taken out of service), which then leaves 4 aircraft without Wifi from the list provided.

Comment

SWO is next on possibly getting refitted. If confirmed the case, sounds like it will be refitted with the latest system, but no Wifi (AS SWO is not on the list here).

Quite sometime back, we heard SQ is going back to OnAir, and is focusing on their 77Ws (Including 77WN too assuming). Hopefully it will be time based and faster than most airline Wifi these days. Hope the ones not fitted with Wifi will be refitted and also get the system.

Comment

So I wonder when SQ is planning to start testing out new OnAir wifi on their 77W? Before or after the A350 aircraft come. Let's hope it's time based.

Comment

Any pricing for the SQ time based plan?

Sorry if I missed this but did anyone mention any price plans for the time based plan on SQ? Wondering if it's as competitive as the domestic UA pricing which is USD1.99 for 60 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by jonleong View Post
              Sorry if I missed this but did anyone mention any price plans for the time based plan on SQ? Wondering if it's as competitive as the domestic UA pricing which is USD1.99 for 60 minutes.
              I used the T-Mobile time based plan on SQ 2 a couple of days ago (9V-SWZ): charge was US $ 16.95 for three hours. There's also an alternative -- $ 12.95 for one hour. The service is good, even mid-pacific: a little slower than land -based wireless, but still quite satisfactory. No connection breaks or drop-outs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitterroot View Post
                I used the T-Mobile time based plan on SQ 2 a couple of days ago (9V-SWZ): charge was US $ 16.95 for three hours. There's also an alternative -- $ 12.95 for one hour. The service is good, even mid-pacific: a little slower than land -based wireless, but still quite satisfactory. No connection breaks or drop-outs.

Cheers Bitterroot

Comment

Sorry to bring this thread back after several months, but has anyone recently flown 9V-SWA (77WR)? If so, how's the new OnAir Wifi? Time based or volume based, still.

And btw, jonleong I will be flying SQ1/2 on my way to and from India in December on the 77WN, I will let everyone know the prices for sure. And also, the A350 has the Panasonic time based Wifi like the 77WN and 77WNR (Which means SNB, SNC)

Comment

How long does a Wifi fit and refit typically take? I have a hunch SWH must have gone through a Wifi refit, but does it really take a week or more than that? (Probably why it flew SQ8877, maintenance and maybe Wifi refit?).

Has anyone flown SWA with the new OnAir Wifi?

Comment

I flew on SWA recently. IIRC the wifi service was not part of the upgrade. It was still OnAir.

Comment

OnAir is poor. It's always slow and I still think charging F pax for using it is a p*ss take.

Comment

My experience with T-Mobile time based wifi this past trip on SQ1 (SWW) and SQ2 (SWZ) was excellent. No dropouts or anything. Works just as fast as land based Wifi. I wish even the retrofitted 77W would have this.

Speaking of Wifi, according to this list SWD and SWE are refitted but aren't listed or equipped with it according to this thread. Has anyone flown SWD and SWE recently as a 77WR and noticed any changes? I also thought OnAir was working to install a faster Wifi system (GX Aviation) in parallel with refits according to some articles.

Comment

Working...
                          X