SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > Other Airlines > Other Airlines

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2009, 12:54 AM   #16
SQflyergirl
SQTalk Founder
 
SQflyergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 31-Oct-2006
Location: Suburbia
Programs: Kali inilah!
Posts: 6,734
Default

Looks like SA's J product
SQflyergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 01:21 AM   #17
UMD
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
UMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-Dec-2006
Location: SIN
Programs: SQ-TPP, GA-Plat
Posts: 1,531
Default Sneak Preview of GA's new Kebaya

Found on the local flyers forum, Indoflyer.net

Picture was taken during fitting thus it is not yet showing the true design of the uniform (one of the FAs still had her own dress underneath the Kebaya). However, it looks like GA will go for 4 different colors with 2 different designs. Batik motif is found only on the sarong instead of the entire Kebaya.

UMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 01:51 PM   #18
milehighj
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS
 
milehighj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 17-Jan-2007
Programs: I/we live on many planes. But on the last flight that mattered, my seat number was 2A.
Posts: 2,942
Default

Thanks UMD. Suitable sushi-run vehicles I say.
milehighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 10:07 PM   #19
UMD
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
UMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-Dec-2006
Location: SIN
Programs: SQ-TPP, GA-Plat
Posts: 1,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighj View Post
Thanks UMD. Suitable sushi-run vehicles I say.
GA probably won't put its 332 for the CGK - SIN run. But, we can definitely do CGK - NRT double sushi run.
UMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 05:11 PM   #20
Dynasty
SQTalk Elite Silver
 
Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-Aug-2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: China airlines-Dynasty Flyer, Eva Air-Evergreen Club, Singapore Airlines- KrisFlyer
Posts: 90
Default

I'm afraid to on board A330 now!!
Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 05:24 PM   #21
sqdazz
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 03-Feb-2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, BD Gold, A3*G, VA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 1,380
Default

Dynasty: afraid why?? Because one crashed?? Best not board 777, 767, 747, A320, B737, A340 etc etc. They have all crashed.
__________________
My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net
sqdazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 07:47 PM   #22
Dynasty
SQTalk Elite Silver
 
Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-Aug-2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: China airlines-Dynasty Flyer, Eva Air-Evergreen Club, Singapore Airlines- KrisFlyer
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdazz View Post
Dynasty: afraid why?? Because one crashed?? Best not board 777, 767, 747, A320, B737, A340 etc etc. They have all crashed.
If there are some alternatives for me, I'd rather not choose flying. Everytime I travel to China, trains and ferries will probably be my preference, coz it is relatively safer.

However, my anxious about A330 is not just because of this tragetic disaster. Personally, I don't have good image with A330, I don't think it is a reliable aircraft. As I know, A330 has got serious problem with its pair of engines for many years.

Remember in 1997, Cathay Pacific and Dragonair has to ground all its A330 fleets at Kai Tak, the problem is due to the lubrication of the engine's H.P. compressor shaft. See the link:http://www.thestandard.com.hk/archiv...d_str=19970522

Besides, several years ago, Taiwan's flag carrier China Airlines has also reported that both engines of its A330 has got a sudden in-flight shut down for nearly 1min before re-start during the flight from Kaoshiung to Hong Kong. The similar incident not just only occurs in CI, but also in TAM, Qatar, Air Lingus etc... See also another forum:http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/3482373/

All these engine failures and the pitot static tube (airspeed sensor) mentioned lately as well make me afraid to getting on board A330.
Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 09:19 PM   #23
wsssaero
SQTalk PPS Club
 
wsssaero's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-May-2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 507
Default

Dynasty,

While every aircraft type has its problems, and all have been involved in crashes (except the A380, and may it never be), it doesn't mean it's unsafe. Even trains and ferries do get involved in accidents.

But let's get back to the topic.
wsssaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 03:43 PM   #24
Dynasty
SQTalk Elite Silver
 
Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-Aug-2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: China airlines-Dynasty Flyer, Eva Air-Evergreen Club, Singapore Airlines- KrisFlyer
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsssaero View Post
Dynasty,

While every aircraft type has its problems, and all have been involved in crashes ...

This will be my last reply on this topic and I will not reply anymore on this
afterwards.

Yes, you have your point of view, and I agree with you partially. But when we choose the types of aircraft, it is important that we should analyse whether the problem and error it got is big or not, because it is related to our life! If it's a minor problem, that's acceptable.

For example, if there is a Tupolev and Boeing's aircraft available, which one will you prefer to getting on board? Fact is fact, although I am a big fans of Tupolev, and I think the Soviet built brilliant aircrafts, such as Tu 144, 95, 160 etc...

In fact, I think the in-flight shut down of engine is not a tiny problem. You know restart of engine requires very long time and a lot of procedures, it is not as simple as an IC SI or CI engine, as the N1 of the gas turbine must obtain bleed air from APU or the emergency drop down turbine during start; moreover the period of in-flight shut down may affect the cabin pressure, de-ice system, hydraulic system and electric generator, because no bleed air, electricity and engine torque provided respectively, in consequent, the pitot static tube will be icing and the avionics will get the wrong data, finally the aircraft will stall. Although it is the worst case, but doesn't mean that it won't happens. You can imagine how danger the situation will be.

But whatever, I still don't get much confident with A330 and I'll try my best to avoid getting on board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsssaero View Post
Dynasty,

Even trains and ferries do get involved in accidents.

Yes, and you may also say; everytime we go on to the street, we may have risks to get injured.

However, I think it shouldn't be that. What we must also consider is the probability of that transportation involved in accidents. And obviously, the fact shows that train is comparatively safer than planes.
Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 12:48 PM   #25
Kiwi
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 20-May-2008
Location: In the air
Programs: SQ mystery reprieve
Posts: 1,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
What we must also consider is the probability of that transportation involved in accidents. And obviously, the fact shows that train is comparatively safer than planes.
No flying is far safer than train travel.
__________________
..
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 01:41 PM   #26
StarG
SQTalk Founder
 
StarG's Avatar
 
Join Date: 31-Oct-2006
Programs: SQ TPP24, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, SPG G, Hertz P
Posts: 3,050
Default

Back to topic, from a GA newspaper ad yesterday the destinations served by the new A330-200s with lie-flat Business Class seats are IIRC: Shanghai, Seoul, Melbourne and Sydney.
StarG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 01:45 PM   #27
Nick C
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 28-Mar-2008
Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Posts: 1,907
Default

Looks like the GA livery is getting facelift with the 332s.

http://gerobakterbang.wordpress.com/...uda-indonesia/
Nick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 03:35 PM   #28
milehighj
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS
 
milehighj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 17-Jan-2007
Programs: I/we live on many planes. But on the last flight that mattered, my seat number was 2A.
Posts: 2,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick C View Post
Looks like the GA livery is getting facelift with the 332s.

http://gerobakterbang.wordpress.com/...uda-indonesia/
Thanks for posting. We don't get a full view, but I like what I see...
milehighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 04:03 PM   #29
MAN Flyer
SQTalk Founder
 
Join Date: 31-Oct-2006
Location: All the wrong places...
Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG Life Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
Posts: 6,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post
However, my anxious about A330 is not just because of this tragetic disaster. Personally, I don't have good image with A330, I don't think it is a reliable aircraft. As I know, A330 has got serious problem with its pair of engines for many years.
For crying out loud...

I presume you won't fly on 737's or RR Trent powered 777's either, as they have a habit of dropping out of the sky as well....
__________________
Incheon : Connected to the world, cut-off from Korea
MAN Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 04:24 PM   #30
milehighj
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS
 
milehighj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 17-Jan-2007
Programs: I/we live on many planes. But on the last flight that mattered, my seat number was 2A.
Posts: 2,942
Default

Hehehe. Anyone remember the scene from Rain Man where the Dustin Hoffman character refuses to fly board any available US carrier, as every single one has previously been involved in a fatal crash...? Only airline he's prepared to fly - Qantas!
milehighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
a330-200, airbus, garuda, indonesia

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Business Class Seats on A380 magnumpi All About Singapore Airlines 19 1st July 2014 12:20 AM
Economy service in Business class seats 9V-SWT All About Singapore Airlines 7 22nd January 2012 12:43 PM
Business class seats on 744 LampStack All About Singapore Airlines 3 6th October 2008 12:39 PM
Your favourite SQ Business Class seats 9V-SIA All About Singapore Airlines 28 17th July 2008 07:31 AM
Details on all flying SQ Business Class Seats Ikarus2006 All About Singapore Airlines 10 20th April 2007 11:05 AM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Techadmin: Luke | Hosting: www.lomag.net