Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facade of the Crowne Plaza Changi hotel... What were they thinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are couple pictures:

Comment

I just saw some photos from my friend,and I have to agree it is not that bad. The interior is rather grand too.
      Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Well, it's finally open..

Singapore's first airport hotel has opened its doors to guests, nearly 30 years after Changi Airport began operations.

Although the 320-room Crowne Plaza Changi Airport has just opened for two weeks and not all the rooms are ready, it is already meeting its occupancy target of 75 percent for the full year.

Room rates at the hotel start from about US$200 – just below the prices at the premium Orchard Road belt. But with the city less than a half hour's ride away, the need for an airport hotel seems less apparent.

The airport hotel management, however, disagrees with this view.

Mark Winterton, general manager of Crowne Plaza Changi Airport, said: "Everybody needs an airport hotel. Location is everything. Business travellers these days are savvy, their time is conserved and they want to get in, get out.

"Singapore is a hub – people fly in for meetings and they don't want to trail. It may only be 15 to 20 minutes from the city, but people don't have 15 to 20 minutes these days."

While the hotel is looking at all sectors, it is primarily targeting business travellers and those coming for meetings and conventions. It is also getting transit passengers, air crew and those doing business nearby.

"There is a market for this. There is an awful lot of business in this side of the island. We've had great response from the corporate companies in Changi Business Park, and we're working with the Expo and the CAAS," said Mr Winterton.

The hotel is also working with authorities to offer a direct check-in system which will likely be available within the next few months.

One of the biggest challenges that the airport hotel faced was finding good staff as 200 service staff were needed. After nine months and a gruelling two-day walk-in session which attracted some 1,500 applicants, everyone is finally in place.

And while there were some delays – the hotel's soft opening had to be pushed from March to May – Mr Winterton said it is par for the course.

The hotel is now expected to officially open in September.

Comment

The outside really looks a bit weird, though...

Still not rubbing me the right way, but anyway, won't be needing the use of it but I'm sure it's useful for many a biz traveller / aircrew.

Comment

We are "a Singapore chat room", it seems

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=14

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
              We are "a Singapore chat room", it seems

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=14
              what does he know?...

Comment

Sunshades or security screens?

Comment

I passed it when the white screens were first being installed and i remember remarking to myself, "Wow, that must mean the brown and yuck is the actual colour."

I don't like it, and it certainly doesn't fit comfortably against T3.

Comment

Straits Times Life review

It got a really good review in the papers on Saturday. Some Singaporeans were going there for a weekend away!

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
                      Do the rooms offer views of the tarmac and runway? Or is the white patterns on the exterior meant to prevent people from looking out onto the airport? I can imagine that that tall building would give nice airport overviews
                      Yes it provides excellent runway views, quite romantic actually cos its something very unique. They also have a garden view and pool view, really a resort feel. I think the mesh flower motif around the building is meant to cut out sunrays as an energy conservation effort. What more can you ask for a beautiful, unique and environmentally friendly hotel. Wish more hotels would do their part in saving mother earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        The outside really looks a bit weird, though...

Still not rubbing me the right way, but anyway, won't be needing the use of it but I'm sure it's useful for many a biz traveller / aircrew.
                        Thats where you are wrong, I stayed there and I read in the Straits Times that it is popular as a short getaway destination for couples and families. It is an urban resort after all with full facilities. Although the bulk of clients might be from overseas I think a far bit of locals are discovering this new exotic location. Its always nice to explore out of the way locations such as Dempsey and Rochester. I think location is not a major deciding factor with Singaporeans these days, afterall, Singapore is only so "big".

Comment

You'd be surprised how much Singaporeans love their airport... short getaways to anywhere on the island are actually not unordinary, the airport is also popular for its restaurants, and even it's less-well known food court (hidden away and meant to be for airport staff only).

When the new Ibis opens in Bencoolen, I bet that will be also another cheap weekender... there's really not all that many places to go on this tiny island.. I would hardly call Dempsey and Rochester 'out of the way'.. (almost everything is reachable within 20 mins maximum by car, it seems)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                            You'd be surprised how much Singaporeans love their airport... short getaways to anywhere on the island are actually not unordinary, the airport is also popular for its restaurants, and even it's less-well known food court (hidden away and meant to be for airport staff only).

When the new Ibis opens in Bencoolen, I bet that will be also another cheap weekender... there's really not all that many places to go on this tiny island.. I would hardly call Dempsey and Rochester 'out of the way'.. (almost everything is reachable within 20 mins maximum by car, it seems)
                            Yup very true to that.......So you get my point, all this sceptism about locations is unfounded cos Singapore is only that big, maybe more so for people who do not drive, however if you've explored Changi Airport you would realize how accessible public transport is at Terminal 3, MRT and bus station is a stones throw away. I do not believe all Singaporeans have become so indolent.

Comment

Are you a Singaporean expat, IT? Your observations about Singapore seem far too rich to be those of a casual visitor from Botswana.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that personally, I'm glad the facilities at the CP Changi far exceed the initial impressions given by the exterior. Handy for Priority Club stays too.
                              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

With regards to design and architecture of Crowne Plaza Changi Airport or to any buidling for that matter, Singaporeans should just step out of the box and not be such a staid society. Which buidling in Singapore can we identify to be globally iconic???? We basically are no where on the map with regards to building design, what comes close is our airport so obviously Singaporeans are proud of it. I think all this has manifested through years of rigidity, staidness and compliance of the government and people of Singapore. Till we are able to step out of our boundaries, new culture and embrace change at a much faster pace....We will never be a London, Paris, New York, Tokyo, Milan, Barcelona, Melborune or Los Angeles, something which our government has alway falls short of achieving but loves to make the people of Sinagpore or themselves believe that we are up there with the big boys. No wonder the government of Singapore has to allow so many expats into Singapore cos the locals refuse to educated themselves and be more cultured and embrace change. Something to side track on...but coming back to the design of the hotel, I personally think WOHA is doing Singapore a huge favour in making our airport stand out even more with a soon to be award-winning ingenious design.
                                Last edited by Intrepid Traveller; 7 July 2008, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X