No announcement yet.

Qantas A380 Config Revealed + New Logo + New Longhaul Premium Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good on QF for offering a real (vs. a shadow) Premium Economy product. I think they'll win quite a bit of business from less price-sensitive Y travellers for this.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Hot!!
      Once they introduce Y+ out of MEL, I can stop having to go over to SYD to fly BA!

edited to add:
      Originally posted by SMH
      Premium economy travel will be available over time on B747-400 services to London, Hong Kong and Johannesburg from February next year.
      Sounds like QF29/30 MEL-HKG-LHR is a candidate.
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 24 July 2007, 01:48 PM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

only few major airlines do offer EY plus like United, Virgin, Qantas and even Jetstar - and now that QF will put in a "new class" - perhaps SQ can follow suit - as many pax would like to have EY plys where seats' pitch are better and bit wider seats and food wise - it may not matter as EY meals should be ok - just more comfortable seats n pitch esp for longer haul. So far for asian carriers - on;y EVA do have this EY plus type of class. SQ A380 calls for 480 pax in total.

Comment

More details on the QF website about Y+ flights:

Originally posted by qantas.com
          Premium Economy will be rolled out on our B747-400 services to London via Bangkok, Singapore and Hong Kong, plus on services to Johannesburg from next February.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I just saw the pics from Y+... It looks really good. The business class looks like an update over the current seat. The economy class seats looks spacious, but as always it can be very deceiving in terms of seat pitch. I may switch my alliance to one world if Qantas offer a good Y+ product.

EDIT: I reached 50 posts, now I'm SQTalk Silver! Woo Hoo.. Wonder if I get priority posting and inbox allowances.. LOL...

Comment

GOOD BYE SQ!

Having held SQ PPS and QF Gold (One World Sapphire) for the last 2 years, the revamped QF product will ensure that my loyalty to SQ will definitely end!

I will now direct all my future travel to QF (or OW) to reach QF platinum (OW Emerald) ASAP; this would allow me access to the "new" F lounge at Syd (my homebase airport) for international flights and the new domestic business lounges in Syd, Bne and Mel which are planned to be opened in May 08...and being Oz based, this will be a nice perk for all my domestic Oz travel! The QF A380 config in F, J and Y+ look very nice indeed...

So SQ...you made your tough "business" decisions [ridiculous PPS changes], and your immediate competitor for an Oz based flier like myself has produced an excellent (if not better) alternative for me...so they will now get most, if not all, my business.

GOOD BYE SQ!
              Last edited by kpc; 24 July 2007, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Inflight internet lives again: Qantas introduces wireless broadband, laptop power in all classes

A380 in Qantas livery: we can confirm this is officially a geek's dream planeA380 in Qantas livery: we can confirm this is officially a geek's dream plane

Qantas' new roo: or flying pterodactyl? Apparently Qantas was forced to redesign the logo to accommodate the position of a tailfin on the A380.Qantas' new roo: or flying pterodactyl? Apparently Qantas was forced to redesign the logo to accommodate the position of a tailfin on the A380.Laptop power will be available in every seat of Qantas' new Airbus A380s from August 2008, the airline has announced. It is also retrofitting existing Boeing 747-400s with a new cabin type, "premium economy", which will offer laptop power.

The retrofitted 747-400s will start going into service from February 2008 onwards.

However, travellers lucky enough to score a flight on one of the 20 new A380s later in the year will even get laptop power in standard economy.

Perhaps of even greater importance, Qantas says it will offer wireless internet throughout the A380s -- even in economy -- as well as web and email access via seat-back inflight entertainment systems if you don't have a laptop with you.

Coinciding with a spruced-up logo featuring a more angular kangaroo doing a more springy hop than the old streamlined roo, Qantas also said premium economy seats would feature USB and RJ45 (ethernet) ports.

The USB ports will be used for "viewing of content" on the inflight entertainment system, though Qantas wouldn't be drawn on whether that would include Divx video capability, or the ability to connect an iPod. It would also allow recharging of USB-powered devices.

The Ethernet port is for laptops that don't have wireless, or for people who simply prefer an Ethernet connection over WiFi, which could potentially become congested in an aircraft if inflight internet usage becomes popular.

USB and ethernet: located in the centre-console of international premium economy seats on the new Airbus A380

Comment

I can only hope SQ will also introduce wireless internet on board as well ;(

Comment

I wonder who is the service provider for internet?

Comment

The last time I read about the future of the then soon-to-be-defunct Conexxion by Boeing wifi system, Panasonic was one of the parties said to be interested in taking over the infrastructure. Not sure if this is actually the provider on Qantas aircraft.
                      My Cafe Adventures
                      Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                      http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

More from http://apcmag.com/6748/qantas_to_int...top_power_in_p

The companies behind Qantas' inflight internet

Both the wireless and seat-back internet service will be provided by Airbus/SITA joint venture ONAIR. Although there is very little information available online about ONAIR, an report from late last year included a comment from ONAIR CEO George Cooper who said he had one long-haul international customer that would be offering wireless data to GSM handhelds inflight as well as wireless broadband to laptops.

Qantas has announced a trial of offering data access to Blackberries and other GSM devices in the air, and now that it has disclosed that it is using ONAIR for its wireless internet as well, it seems likely that the airline referred to by Cooper was Qantas.

Qantas would not comment on pricing for the internet access, but Cooper is quoted as saying that the unnamed carrier would offer "seatback instant messaging at a price of $5 for unlimited use throughout the flight. Web email will cost $8 per flight, with attachments extra, and there will be a measure of Internet access. Laptop users would have WiFi access to the Internet and VPNs.”

Worryingly, though, the report says that the broadband will be provided via Inmarsat’s SwiftBroadband 432kbit/sec-per-channel service -- a fairly slow link for a planeload of passengers, which could equate to sub-dialup speeds per passenger unless the aircraft uses multiple satellite channels at once.

he new inflight system will be manufactured by Panasonic Avionics, the company which announced with Apple that it would be offering integration with iPods inflight. Qantas declined to comment on whether it would include iPod capability on its planes, but the inclusion of the USB port on every seat on the A380 suggests it will.

Qantas says the new seat-back systems will also offer 30 "PC style" games.

“Customers in every cabin will also be able to remain connected throughout their flight with wireless connectivity, in-seat laptop power, USB and RJ45 ports allowing them to surf the internet or send and receive emails directly from their seat or personal laptop,” said Qantas marketing director John Borghetti.
                        When, where and how much!

Premium economy will first appear on B747 services to London, Hong Kong and Johannesburg from February 2008 with further routes being added following the introduction of A380 aircraft. Qantas said premium economy seats would cost about half of a business class ticket.

Premium Economy will be located on the main deck of B747 aircraft with 32 seats in a two-four-two configuration. On the A380, the cabin will be located on the upper deck with 32 seats in a two-three-two configuration.

Of course, if money is no object, you should check out the new Qantas first class which comes with 17" wide-screen LCD TVs for every passenger. Business class passengers only get a "large" video monitor, but it has "laptop connectivity" according to Qantas.

Comment

Originally posted by quik! View Post
                          Qantas says the new seat-back systems will also offer 30 "PC style" games.
                          Lode Runner? Pacman? Just can't resist it...

Then again, given that this is an inflight experience, perhaps Microsoft Flight Similator might be more relevant...
                          My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
                            Lode Runner? Pacman? Just can't resist it...

Then again, given that this is an inflight experience, perhaps Microsoft Flight Similator might be more relevant...
                            Might not be a good idea, we may have over-excited players who would shout 'OMG OMG! It's crashing!! We are going down!!!'

Comment

Originally posted by quik! View Post
                              Might not be a good idea, we may have over-excited players who would shout 'OMG OMG! It's crashing!! We are going down!!!'
                              That's a very valid point. The last thing we want is someone communicating with the fictitious ATC aloud as he or she prepares for the final approach to the Sydney Opera House or some other landmark.
                              My Cafe Adventures

Comment

This might well signal continued business with OneWorld partners (like QF). The new Y+ product indeed looks good

Comment

Working...
                                X