Arrival at Milano Malpensa Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
    try not taking the bus, you will be stuck in traffic.... further, where the bus terminates, you will have to walk a distance to the train station....

I have started a thread on this before and posted information of how I got into Milan to catch the train, took the bus and was stuck in morning rush hour.... go find the thread...
    Hmmm? The bus takes just under an hour in the traffic when I did my trip. Not really that bad actually. Though I have to say the Italian driver made me damn scared with his driving. How long were you stuck in traffic?

I think there are two bus operators, no? For mine, it was right in front of the stazione (actually the side, but it's just 100m to the entrance).

Comment

Originally posted by lovetravellingoz View Post
      For MXP..does anyone want to hazrad a quess at the likely typical range of time from landing through to getting to the train station?
      Min 15 mins from finger to train station, up to 40 -45 at peak time.
      There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
      If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

From what I have read today. I think bus will be easiest. Bus departs every 20 minutes.

I think I will end up today this as to allow for the flight coming in late etc I will probably book a slightly later train.
        Be prepared for traffic jam in the morning.
        I strongly recommend you train if you are not flexible with times.
        There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
        If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
          Be prepared for traffic jam in the morning.
          I strongly recommend you train if you are not flexible with times.
          I will decide on the day, and both can be bought on the spot. It is good to know all the options.

I have decided to get the fast train to Venice from Milano Centrale.
          Last edited by lovetravellingoz; 27 January 2011, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fryderyk HPH View Post

And yes, you can book trains at the Trenitalia online website, but the thing is (at the time I had my trip) Trenitalia's online e-booking system requires a local card or something like that or the transaction is rejected.
            I think in Dec that they have improved things.

According to Seat 61 prior to then with Australian Credit Cards only about 30% were accepted.

Amex's from outside Italy are still not accepted.

Anyway my Westpac Krisflyer VISA worked (so also earning 1.5 SQKF points per $ spent!!!)and so I have now booked a number of Very Fast Trains, in Second Class at bargain MINI fares.

No trip has cost me more than 20 Euro person and often are less. ie Milan to Venice = 9 Euro per person!!!! Cinque Terre back to Milan Centrale is only 9 Euro as well

However it pays to look at trains at different times, and even from different stations as MINI fares vary, or might become available when not showing on your first look.

For example with Florence to Rome, Firenze S. M. Novella to Roma had a MINI of 35 Euro, but looked at Firenze Campo Di Marte departing at the same time and it was then only 17 Euro There are 3 of us, so that is 54 extra Euro saved. The full fare being a lot more again.

I booked at 2nd Class fares as there does not seem to be a big difference to first class though the MINI fares on first are not as heavily discounted as 2nd class is., and my trips are about 3 hours or less.

I have located suitable accommodation within walking distance of each station eliminating the need completely for taxis and so certainly my travel costs for Italy are now only a fraction of what I was anticipating when I first decided to visit Italy. So I am most pleased.
            Last edited by lovetravellingoz; 27 January 2011, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I think in Dec that they have improved things.

According to Seat 61 prior to then with Australian Credit Cards only about 30% were accepted.

Amex's from outside Italy are still not accepted.

Anyway my Westpac Krisflyer VISA worked (so also earning 1.5 SQKF points per $ spent!!!)and so I have now booked a number of Very Fast Trains, in Second Class at bargain MINI fares.

No trip has cost me more than 20 Euro person and often are less. ie Milan to Venice = 9 Euro per person!!!! Cinque terre back to Milan Centrale is only 9 Euro as well

However it pays to look at trains at different times, and even from different stations as MINI fares vary, or might become available when not showing on your first look.

For example, Firenze S. M. Novella to Roma hada MINI of 35 Euro, but looked at Firenze Campo Di Marte departing at the same time and it was then only 17 Euro

I booked at 2nd Class fares as there does not seem to be a big difference to first class though the MINI fares on first are not as heavily discounted as 2nd class is., and my trips are about 3 hous or less.

I have located suitable accommodation within walking distance of each station eliminating the need completely for taxis and so certainly my travel costs for Italy are now only a fraction of what I was anticipating when I fisrt deided to vist Italy. So I amost pleased.
              Oh my gosh that's cheap! Even for me, when I had my Eurail Italy Pass, it still cost me €10 or so to just get the reservation. Paid like $200 to $300 SGD just for the pass.

I gave up on going to secondary stations (e.g. Firenze CDM and Venezia Mestre) simply because it was out of the way, but hey, I didn't know you could get a better deal there!

For me I try to have long distance train rides, and avoid having to backtrack (cities). But my most epic ride was just €10 from Milano Centrale to Zürich Hauptbahnhof, and boy was it an epic journey of sorts... Sometimes I really wonder how the ticketing staff in Trenitalia do their job. I still have a weird feeling today that it is supposed to be €100 haha...

Comment

Originally posted by Fryderyk HPH View Post

Sometimes I really wonder how the ticketing staff in Trenitalia do their job. I still have a weird feeling today that it is supposed to be €100 haha...
                I must admit that some of these fares are so cheap that I wonder if it is not in part due to bug in the system!!! It was part of the reason that with the new fares starting only on Jan 24 that I decided to lock in as many train journeys as convenient now.

Plus the really cheap MINIs were disappearing. ie on some bookings I looked at there were one or two really cheap MINI's and the remainder of the MINIs for the booking of three were at higher price.

Sometimes the extra price was say 4/5 Euro and sometimes 20-ish.

By playing around I only had to buy at a slightly higher MINI price for one person once., and to save 4 Euro it was not worth me say travelling na train an hour later.
                Last edited by lovetravellingoz; 27 January 2011, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X