Here Comes the 'New' Firefly!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here Comes the 'New' Firefly!

I guess most SQsTalkers are aware of Firefly (FY), the little airline which flies ATR turboprops to Subang Airport (SZB) in Kuala Lumpur from Changi's Budget Terminal.

Today FY announced its jet operation, which marks the beginning of its ambitious plan to challenge AirAsia (AK) [and also Tiger and Jetstar] as the leading LCC in Asia. A friend of mine also made an interesting remark that with this development, MH can (hopefully) cured from the split identity crisis which has been plaguing the airline since AK became prominent in the scene.

Firefly expands with a new fleet of Boeing 737-800
    http://www.fireflyz.com.my/news-rele...boeing-737-800

FlyFirefly Sdn Bhd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines, announced today the next chapter of its eagerly anticipated expansion plan. During a press conference held in Petaling Jaya today, its Managing Director Dato’ Eddy Leong said, “This is the much anticipated next stage in our growth and expansion plan. After successfully operating with the ATR 72-500 Turboprops out of Skypark Subang airport, we are now pleased to announce the introduction of our jet aircraft operations with a new fleet of Boeing 737-800 which will operate from the Main Terminal Building of Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).”

He added, “Phase 1 of our plan, spanning 2011 to 2015, involves bringing into service a total of 30 aircraft, which will allow for an aggressive growth rate in our route network. In 2011 alone we will operate six Boeing 737-800s.”

Firefly’s first Boeing 737-800 arrives in December 2010 and will begin its operations on the 15th of January 2011 from the Main Terminal Building, KLIA.

From 15th of January 2011:
    2x daily Kuala Lumpur – Kota Kinabalu
    2x daily Kuala Lumpur – Kuching

From 24th of January 2011:
    3x daily Kuala Lumpur – Kota Kinabalu
    4x daily Kuala Lumpur – Kuching
    FY initial jet operation will be using 2 B738s subleased from MH (reportedly 9M-MLA and 9M-MLB, both of which are from XL Airlines which feature an all Economy Class typical European LCC seating arrangement).

Both aircrafts have been painted in FY's livery and was unveiled to the public today.

To launch Firefly’s new routes, they are offering 50,000 seats at MYR 18.00 (THAT'S SGD 7.49 OMG !!!) all-in return fare for KUL-BKI-KUL or KUL-KCH-KUL, which is only available online at fireflyz.com.my and through Mobile Booking m.fireflyz.com.my. The booking period is from the 8th November to 14th November with the travel period from the 15th of January to 31st of May 2011.

Yeah i saw the press release in the star. I kinda always assumed they'd take MH's old hand me down 734's and continue to operate out of SZB - wrong on both counts! oops

Comment

What's so special about FY?

1. They operate from KUL MTB, not the KUL LCCT like AK.

2. They will be using aerobridges in KUL, unlike AK.

3. All bookings are pre-assigned with 'Standard Service' for MYR 30 (SDG 12.48) which consist of:
      i. Preferred seat selection
      ii. Meal + 1 bottled water (350ml)
      iii. 1pc checked-in baggage max 15kg
      iv. Extra 5kg baggage allowance

This 'Standard Service' can be upgraded to 'Premium Service' for MYR 60 (SGD 24.96) which includes all the 4 items in the 'Standard Service' + 2 more additional items:
      v. Priority Baggage Arrival
      vi. Flight Date change (1x)

Or one can simply choose to downgrade the 'Standard Service' by clicking 'No, Thanks!' during the booking process should you do not require any of the 6 service items. You can also choose the service items individually but the price tag is different.

4. Having been in the shadow of AK since almost a decade now, I think MH is so determine to make this FY plan work. It's payback time LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        Yeah i saw the press release in the star. I kinda always assumed they'd take MH's old hand me down 734's and continue to operate out of SZB - wrong on both counts! oops
        Yes. The initial rumour was FY is to take MH's old B734s (which was objected by many enthusiasts actually), then another rumour that FY will leased 2 B734s from Indonesia emerged.

As for SZB, I am actually kinda glad that the government is upholding the 'no commercial jet operation' rule at the airport. Imagine the uproar AK and the Subang residents will stage should the government overturns the ruling.

Also, interesting to note that AK launched its counter attack immediately. A 0 Fare promotion starts now!

Comment

I booked my first two tix on Firefly's website today, so it's kinda coincidental to see a post about FY. They're the cheapest cost-effective way to get into Penang in time for CNY reunion dinner without paying one way fares of S$319 for a Tiger that doesn't fly, or $439 for a direct on Jetstar.

SIN-SZB//SZB-PEN on 2 Feb, grand total inclusive of tax is only S$182. Total winner in my books, considering how late I'd left this...

AK and MI are rather unbookable now...

Comment

I say - you all make me gatal. Booked a "sorta" turnaround in BKI for RM18 all in for March 2011!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              ... for a Tiger that doesn't fly...
              LOL! The Tiger's wings are still broken?

I say - you all make me gatal. Booked a "sorta" turnaround in BKI for RM18 all in for March 2011!
              Yay!!! I'll am going to wait for your full blown trip report about FY's jet operation anticipatedly. RM 18 is like what, a plate of Nasi Bojari at Madam Kwan, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by SliverKris View Post
                Yay!!! I'll am going to wait for your full blown trip report about FY's jet operation anticipatedly. RM 18 is like what, a plate of Nasi Bojari at Madam Kwan, isn't it?
                RM18 on an SQ A380 in Suites gets you halfway up the Changi T3 First class check in Driveway before they turn you back

Comment

Originally posted by SliverKris View Post
                  LOL! The Tiger's wings are still broken?
                  On a date as important as CNY Eve, one would still expect more of a chance of flying in on a firefly (at least it has wings, tiny as they are) instead of some tiger that might or might not just stay sitting on a tarmac, wouldn't you say?

I've decided not to take a risk with that striped miracle and hey, at least I'll have something to eat/drink (twice) to show for it! Plus I haven't been back to SZB since I left Malaysia for Ozzieland back in 1993. This'll bring back fond memories...

This post needs a pic of a crying tiger...

Comment

RM18 on an SQ A380 in Suites gets you halfway up the Changi T3 First class check in Driveway before they turn you back
                    ROTFLMAO!!!

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                    On a date as important as CNY Eve, one would still expect more of a chance of flying in on a firefly (at least it has wings, tiny as they are) instead of some tiger that might or might not just stay sitting on a tarmac, wouldn't you say?

I've decided not to take a risk with that striped miracle and hey, at least I'll have something to eat/drink (twice) to show for it! Plus I haven't been back to SZB since I left Malaysia for Ozzieland back in 1993. This'll bring back fond memories...

This post needs a pic of a crying tiger...
                    Again ROTFLMAO!!! I think I have the pixie of the crying tiger somewhere in my disk.

Hold on... (searching...)

Tada!

Comment

Needless to say the friggin AK site is jammed. Was on the payment page already for a flight I'd chosen before the thing just kicked me out!

Comment

Having said that - I'm having a spree tonight....... already booked:

BA NCE-oLHR-CPH in J x 2
                        U2 AMS-BCN x 2
                        JK BCN-VCE x 2
                        FY KUL-BKI .......

i think before this night is through......... I'll end up with a few more

Comment

Needless to say the friggin AK site is jammed. Was on the payment page already for a flight I'd chosen before the thing just kicked me out!
                          A message from a friend...

"if payment is not processed but booking is received you will get a provisional status to your booking when you look at Manage Your Booking. All you then need to do is to make the payment to confirm it.

If your booking did not go thru, there will not be any PRN reference at all.

Many people panicked and did the same booking two or more times and got charged for every one
                          !"

OMG, are they gonna break their own current 'world record' of selling 500,000 seats within 24 hours?

Having said that - I'm having a spree tonight....... already booked:

BA NCE-oLHR-CPH in J x 2
                          U2 AMS-BCN x 2
                          JK BCN-VCE x 2
                          FY KUL-BKI .......

i think before this night is through......... I'll end up with a few more
                          You go girl!

Comment

thanks for the tips. I'm about to give up. Fed up!

Comment

No biggie. That's always the case whenever AK is having a sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X