Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds like a bird strike?

Comment

I find it interesting that you can see the burn marks seeping out where the thrust reverser panels are (or were).

Nevertheless, an uncontained engine failure like that is downright scary. Glad to hear that it made it down safely.

Comment

Rolls Royce really has some explaining to do. The case failed to contain the failure - see leading edge.

QF is grounding all 380s. nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
          Rolls Royce really has some explaining to do. The case failed to contain the failure - see leading edge.

QF is grounding all 380s. nice.
          Yep. http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...ml?autostart=1
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Comment

That does not look good. I would think SQ will take a keen interest in this....

Comment

Is it just me or do most of these incidents that happen to Qantas involve flights from SIN ? :S

Comment

It's definitely an uncontained engine failure. Saw pics on a website where internal parts of the engine( compressor or turbine disc hub) was found in a house ! It's lucky none of this parts hit anyone as it will be sure (ugly) death being hit by any of these. Most engines only have the fan and first stage compressor sections protected with a kevlar exterior around the casings in case of a bird strike. Not the whole engine.
                  Foresee an AD or a SI coming up on RR Trent 900 engines and possible maintenance actions. Most likely culprit at this point in time would be fatigue cracks. Seems eerily reminiscent of an UA DC 10 incident in the US some years back.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/gallery-e...864448?page=19

It's really lucky none of this parts pierced the fuel tank as it would have been a potential catastrophe. And as SQDazz mentioned, QF A380s are maintained in house and to LH as well, if I'm not mistaken. So, out goes the outsourcing of the blame as well.
                  Last edited by boing; 4 November 2010, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Looks to me as if RR is in trouble. Just my opinion. Glad that nobody was hurt

Were the pax evacuated? Didn't look like the slides were deployed. I don't mean to be superstitious but seems like many QF incidents involve SIN

Comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-explodes.html

Comment

Woah...the wing's pierced as well?

Comment

Sounds pretty serious.. Guess that kangaroo will be in SIN for a while

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                            Looks to me as if RR is in trouble. Just my opinion. Glad that nobody was hurt

Were the pax evacuated? Didn't look like the slides were deployed. I don't mean to be superstitious but seems like many QF incidents involve SIN
                            I would imagine it will be busy in Derby this weekend..

Pax were evacuated down steps, no slides deployed.

Oh dear. How many 744's have SQ got in the desert ?.

Comment

Is it me or QF just doesn't have a lot of luck with A380? It seems to me that QF has more technical issues with its A380 than all the other operators. Whatever it is, I hope they will find the cause. I certainly do not wish for A380 to be grounded forever being one of my favourite aircraft to fly on now. Anyone knows, how many A380 does QF have at the moment? 5 or more? Would QF have enough aircraft to take over A380s during the period they are grounded?

By the way, early on QF's PR maintained that the debris on the ground in Batam did not belong to the aircraft despite all the pictures posted on the internet at the time showing the debris with QF marks on them.

Comment

SIA says no plans to ground its A380 fleet

SIA says no plans to ground its A380 fleet

SINGAPORE : Singapore Airlines (SIA) said it has no plans to ground its current fleet of 10 Airbus A380-800 aircraft.

This comes after the Australian flag carrier, Qantas, grounded its fleet of A380s after one of its aircraft was forced to land in Singapore with engine trouble on Thursday morning.

In its statement on Thursday, SIA said its operations are continuing as normal.

SIA added that it is premature at this point to speculate on the cause of the incident, and it is awaiting advice from its aircraft and engine manufacturers as the investigation progresses.

In 2007, SIA was the first airline to fly the A380 superjumbo, which can carry more than 500 passengers.

Four other airlines currently fly the aircraft, including, Qantas, Emirates, Air France and Lufthansa.

This is not the first time that an A380 aircraft has encountered engine problems.

In September 2009, a Singapore-bound SIA A380 flight was forced to turn around mid-flight and head back to Paris after one of its four engines failed.

Separately, Singapore Changi Airport said it will reopen its Runway 2 later Thursday.

Airport authorities had to close Runway 2 earlier to facilitate an emergency landing for Qantas Flight QF32 which experiencing engine problem.

The A380 Qantas flight, bound for Sydney, Australia, departed Singapore Changi Airport at 9:56 am local time.

For technical reasons, the aircraft turned back to Changi and landed safely at 11:46 am.

Changi Airport Group's Airport Emergency Service (AES) responded with six fire vehicles, in accordance with standard operating procedure for such incidents.

In response to the pilot's request, checks were conducted on the aircraft by AES.

Once the checks were completed, passengers and crew began disembarking from the aircraft at Runway 2.

Buses were arranged to ferry them to the airport terminal.

Disembarkation of all 469 passengers and crew on board was completed by 1:40 pm.

Changi Airport Group said flights have continued to take off and land at Runway 1 and operations at Changi have, otherwise, not been affected.

- CNA /ls

Taken off Channel News Asia

Comment

Working...
                                X