No announcement yet.

SIN-FUK-SIN by 772 and Review of Grand Hyatt Fukuoka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha, great job - it's amazing to see good ol' Canal City again, went there one year ago to FUK, and still haven't found the motivation to post that TR up...

It's a nice little place but found it a little boring (FUK). Canal City's good - but most importantly, did you go to the Ramen Stadium II? Have fond memories of some good ramen there!

Comment

Cool pictures there I have been wondering for years, is there any way you can tell if your aircraft will be AVOD before booking when it says "B777-200/-200ER"?
      Cabin Crew, takeoff stations...

Comment

Grand Hyatt Fukuoka

Public Areas

In space constrained Japan, it is rare to find an expansive lobby with a "wow factor". Hyatt on the Bund in PVG comes to mind

The Front Entrance is tight. Wide enough for 2 cars but one lane is taken by taxis waiting for fares.

The first thing you see as you enter is La Terrasse Tea Lounge on a raised circular platform with a floral arrangement as a centre piece.

This is where they serve scones with cream during tea time. Looked good but I had no time to try it, so tight was our schedule.

Indeed, I had also wanted to try 2 ramen places but never found the time:
        • Ippudo ( this is after all the town of it's creation ) and
        • Ichiran in Canal City ( better than Ramen Stadium according to the SQ crew member, who recognized me from the flight, called me by name and started up a conversation. Robotic? Not! )

Looking back at the entrance. To get your bearings. See the floral arrangement in La Terrasse?

This Hyatt does makes an attempt at an expansive lobby but IMHO...

.. somewhat unsuccessful. Too many columns blocking the view out to the SunPlaza Stage

Going back to the entrance, looking right is the Reception La Terrasse Tea Lounge at left of picture

That group of gentleman on the right are huddled around the only 3 chairs in the lobby. Woefully inadequate seating provided.

To the left, the way to the Conference facilities. La Terrasse Tea Lounge at right of pic

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 2 March 2010, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Grand Hyatt Fukuoka

The hotel has 2 facings: canal view or Canal City view. We had the latter.

I have never walked so far from the lifts to our room. That's not the end of the corridor in the pic!

Our room was at top left corner one

But I must say Housekeeping was excellent. Our rooms were always made up quickly.

As was the turn down service. Best ever service in my experience.

The Room

Behind the Japanese screen is the shower

Bathroom

Toilet, basin, bath & shower arranged in a semi circle.

Water pressure for the shower was only adequate.

Comprehensive amenity kits provided and re-stocked daily.

The Views

Blue building is Washington Hotel.

Biggest MUJI in Kyushu

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 30 March 2010, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            Nice report

Note: there is a difference in recline between the Later AVOD birds and the earlier non-AVOD birds - most noticeably is the amount of movement available in the footrest, with the older ones having FAR more ability.
            Noted the difference in footrest mobility, but from the photos, it seems the seatback recline dips far lower (by comparing the relative position of the windows to the seat) for the older non-AVOD birds vs the new. I recall also noting this when flying one of these to (or maybe it was from) Male 2 years back...

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
            Grand Hyatt Fukuoka
            I have never walked so far from the lifts to our room.
            Recurring theme? Same when I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Singapore... had to walk down to the very far end of two corridors...
            Last edited by Kyo; 1 March 2010, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
              [B]
              Hmmm... I had in my head an idea of how this TR would be written.

However, phaleesy can't wait to see the calories..

I have had to rewrite the script.

So imagine a hamburger phaleesy.

Well Grand Hyatt Fukuoka is the big juicy beef patty.

The bun at the bottom is the canal.

The bun at the top is Canal City, the mall.

In between hotel and mall is a "river" that runs the length of the development.
              Thank you for rewriting the script, 9V-SIA.

The in-between - (buns and beef patty) - consisting of lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions - is the 'river'!

Comment

Nice report...bring on the food!!!

Comment

Originally posted by spw21 View Post
                  Cool pictures there
                  Thank you!

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                  The in-between - (buns and beef patty) - consisting of lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions - is the 'river'!
                  You forgot the tomato..

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  ... but most importantly, did you go to the Ramen Stadium II? Have fond memories of some good ramen there!
                  Originally posted by kpc View Post
                  Nice report...bring on the food!!!
                  Raumen Stadium

After reading TripAdvisor, I was afraid we would not be allowed to check in early. My fears were unfounded. Our room was ready.

When I saw the room, I thought of asking for change to a Canal View room.

But looking at the floor plan, I think our room was pretty big so we stayed put.

Besides, might be quieter at night facing inwards.

Once settled in, we headed out for RAMEN!!!

Raumen Stadium is located on the top floor of Canal City..

.. and boasts the best ramen stores from the whole of Japan... under one roof

All the shops are arranged in a street setting..

.. and we selected this one.

We bought the meal ticket from the dispenser outside and went in.

This Set Lunch was 800¥ and it was delicious.

And the food got better and better as our holiday progressed..

After lunch, we went to the.. what else.. Ramen Souvenir Shop.

You can buy anything and everything Ramen here.

The problem I find with reading blogs on food is that only your visual senses are stimulated.

What about taste? What about smell?

The answer, my friends, is gum drops.

When I see a picture of miso ramen, I'll be reaching for my miso noodle flavored gum drops
                  Last edited by 9V-SIA; 2 March 2010, 02:40 AM.

Comment

My goodness, how did I miss the Ramen Souvenir Shop?!!! Dammit... need to schedule a trip back there now, thanks alot 9V-SIA!!!

Comment

Haha. I was in Fukuoka over the weekend, and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency. Somehow, my trips always seem tied in with 9V-SIA's.

Comment

Canal City: Shopping

This logo works for me in so many ways..
                        • It's like a stylized map of the complex
                        • I like the colors they used
                        • I see the Rising Sun, the Moon and Water

These Canyon style malls, I am told, are not very popular with retailers because many stores are hidden from view.

But I love the architecture and enjoy "discovering" interesting shops tucked away in a corner somewhere.

Some of the shops I liked..

Great, original, well made T-shirts here.

This sign is misleading. Happiness lasted a lot longer than 3 minutes! They sell clothes.

Blast from my past. ULTRAMAN! Or is it Ultraman Classic now?

Pokemon Shop.

Love the cash tills that look like Pokeballs.

I'm keen to fly the Pokemon NH 744. Anyone here tried it?

Saw one taking off as I left FUK.

Totoro Shop. Glad I found this shop since the KIX one has closed

16 Totoro figurines to collect. All have different expressions..

Don't know these guys but my daughters are fans

They want to go to FUK just to shop in this store

So what did I buy? Nothing much. I enjoy window shopping though I manage to find great accessories for my handphone..

Handphone actually belongs to my friend's daughter!
                        Last edited by 9V-SIA; 5 March 2010, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Canal City: Eats

These are the places we tried in Canal City ( all in the basement ).

Fukuoka style Takoyaki, with mentaiko and cheese.

Cream puffs from Musée de Mozart. Like Beard Papa in SIN except they can also stuff cannoli with custard too.

My personal favorite.. the counter girls know me well

"I'll have one please"

"Which one?"

"All of them... "

Yutori No Kukan

Harumi Kurihara, aka Martha Stewart of Japan, opened this restaurant chain in the basement of GH Fukuoka ( where all the posh restaurants are ).

Cooking theme: Healthy Japanese vegetarian cuisine with a Western influence. Only the finest ingredients used.

If you were pushed for time, this is where you should eat in Canal City.

Interesting detail: over each dish is the recipe of that dish.

She also writes cookbooks, some in English.

My Main Course..

.. and dessert.

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 3 March 2010, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Traditional Japan

Kushida Shrine

Another thing I like about Japan is the co-existance of old and new.

A skywalk from the Muji end of Canal City takes you to Kushida Shrine

Entrance to Shrine

So quiet & tranquil at this time of the year.

"A rolling stone gathers no moss". This stone hasn't moved in a while..

These school children were all taking pictures in front of ...

.. this, Kakiyama float

It's peaceful now, but for 15 days in July, this "Kakiyama" float takes part in the third largest festival in Japan.

This is a shrine ritual dedicated to Kushida shrine.

Hakata Gion Yamakasa

Haven't I seen something like this in Brussels?

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 3 June 2010, 06:25 AM.

Comment

"Nothing in this world is certain but death and taxes." Benjamin Franklin

Sorry for the delay in finishing this TR but I am alive so I have been pre occupied with that other certainty..

Kawabata Dori

Just in front of Kushida Shrine, this shop sells everything so long as it' s mentaiko, cod fish roe.

Fukouka is famous for it because it came to Japan from nearby Korea.

We bought some back in convenient, tooth paste style tubes.

Great with white rice or western style, with pasta.

We explored some lovely traditional alley ways.

I hope they preserve these streets and not tear it down in the name of urban renewal like in Shanghai.

Next to the Kushida Shrine ( and separating the shrine from the canal ) is this covered shopping street which is prevalent all over Japan.

When I travel, I look for these places as a "wet weather program" destination.

As it was drizzly our entire trip, we spent a lot of time indoors.

These alleys are well designed for couple shopping.

We can shop on our own yet not get separated as there is only one street we can walk down.

Try that in Canal City...

So things that my wife likes to look at..

Pottery..

Shoes..

Dolls..

Important note to female tourists.

If you want to get married, don't buy these dolls as souvenirs.

They are sold and displayed during the Doll Festival on 3rd March.

After the festival, the dolls are stored.

Not storing away the dolls risks girl marrying late or have an unhappy marriage! You have been warned...

Things that I like to browse..

Sweets..

Snacks...

Things we can both enjoy...

Shop selling tofu..

We'd just had breakfast but had to try the tofu..

Verdict: OK but not as good as Kyoto. The best tofu is to be had in Kyoto.

It' s the Kyoto water that makes it so special

But if you like strawberries, these are the best in Japan.

"Ah Ma Or" strawberries are only grown in one farm in Kushu.

Look at the size of them. iPhone for scale.

Full of flavor. Very sweet. No sugar needed.

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 23 March 2010, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Canal Walk

At the end of the street a left turn takes you to the canal.

The canal banks have been upgraded to provide, in future when the willows are mature, a lovely canal side walk.

It is also where the best unagi restaurant in Fukuoka is located

The Unagi Restaurant: Yoshizuka Unagiya est 1873.

If you don't book, go early. Otherwise forget it. It's always full

I wanted to try this...

.. but only had room for this..

Very tasty. Crisp outside. Soft and succulent inside.

View from top floor of the restaurant.

Behind the row of shophouses is the covered street where we shopped for the strawberries before lunch.

Pan left to right...

You can see Canal City to the right of the picture..

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 22 March 2010, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X