Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My magic crystal ball tells me that this multiple section TR will be more than just excellent

Comment

Nail-biting and tense opening sequence, Nickbot !
      I think nobody does it better than you !

(Just a bit of friendly advice : don't let these eager beavers rush you too much, just take your time to write slowly, otherwise it's no fun.)
      J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

I don't think it's a secret that I am a big supporter of the theory that pictures tell stories, words can never tell. Your first non-pictural posts really made me overthrow my affection with the visuals and enjoy one of the best reads I've had lately. Ah -- the photos you took are great. Looking very much forward to continue reading your story

Thumbs up!
        Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Thanks for your comments upright man and florianwagner

Post #5 updated BTW

EDIT Placeholders deleted to free up valuable SQTalk real estate
          Last edited by nickbot; 25 July 2008, 02:59 AM.

Comment

When you arrived at Stockholm airport, from the time you collect your luggage until exit, you will have posters of famous faces on the wall welcoming you to Sweden, which included the King and Queen......
            This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Great trip reports, nickbot. I can't wait for the continuation...
              I agree with florianwagner, pics do tell a lot and it takes courage for some people to take pics in the plane or airports...

Comment

Yup...concur with the above too....a great TR so far and looking forward for the next installments (esp the F trip).

SK looks pretty good for Y. Just checked the website and it DOES offer Economy Extra, with extra seating comfort with a 38'' pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                  Phew! We had thwarted the evil CGK once again (actually, I suppose we hadn't thwarted him, because it was his intention that we travel in SQ F,....I'm all confused now )
                  Thanks for the excellent start with the report! CGK sounds like such a horrible human being evil.

SIN-LHR [F, SQ ]
                  Why ? I thought you had just a so so flight experience because the mean PITA was not around whipping up the crew!

EDIT Placeholders deleted to free up valuable SQTalk real estate
                  Hmm I wish you keep your real estate!
                  Once you updated one post, you just bump the thread by posting what you have done. Should make the reading easier... in my old age opinion.
                  But that's just me, a shy dream writer.

Comment

A fantastic start to your story I enjoyed reading it so far. I thought that the introduction was particularly hilarious

Comment

Great TR, nickbot! Fabulous effort!

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                        When you arrived at Stockholm airport, from the time you collect your luggage until exit, you will have posters of famous faces on the wall welcoming you to Sweden, which included the King and Queen......
                        Thanks for reminding me kapitan, it's surprising how quickly the memory fades with middle age! Lots of famous Swedish people indeed greet you into ARN whilst walking through the corridor (should've taken some pics, but was pretty tired by that time).

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                        Thanks for the excellent start with the report! CGK sounds like such a horrible human being evil.
                        Gosh yes, I still shiver when I think about how he tricked us into dining in F and sharing cake and Dom with him in the galley - it all seemed wonderful at the time, but how were we to know of his evil plans?!

Why ? I thought you had just a so so flight experience because the mean PITA was not around whipping up the crew!
                        More of that later,...maybe we did some crew-whipping of our own

Hmm I wish you keep your real estate!
                        Once you updated one post, you just bump the thread by posting what you have done. Should make the reading easier... in my old age opinion.
                        A difficult decision - I would've required about 22 placeholders in total for the TR, so thought it a little rude to keep so much blank space up. Maybe someone high up in power could merge my posts when I eventually finish the report, so that it's all in one place.
                        BTW, an extra special VVIP told me he didn't like placeholders, so I'm only obeying orders Sir

But that's just me, a shy dream writer
                        Hopefully not too much more dreaming until you can take to the skies again
                        Last edited by nickbot; 25 July 2008, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks for reminding me kapitan, it's surprising how quickly the memory fades with middle age! Lots of famous Swedish people d indeed greet you into ARN whilst walking through the corridor (should've taken some pics, but was pretty tired by that time).

I will take th epictures when I am there again in august...
                          This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Overnight at ARN

Because of work commitments before the trip, and the fact that we wanted to maximise time at the FCT at FRA, we had to stay overnight at ARN. As we weren't going to arrive at ARN until 22:30 (scheduled) and our departure the next day was at 06:40, we certainly didn't have time to explore any of Stockholm - I'm sure KeithMEL would've advocated an all-nighter, but sleep for us was certainly on the agenda in advance of our first ever First Class experience the following day.

There are a number of accommodation solutions in and around Stockholm Arlanda, but unfortunately none from the IC group to satisfy my Priority Club points fetish! As we were only going to be using the room for four or five hours, we opted for the budget Rest & Fly, which is a little like a cross between the SIN T2 transit hotel and a youth hostel, without being as trendy as a Yotel! Room rates were reasonable for an airport location (circa £50 for 10 hours), but with some funny optional extras such as 50 Kronor (£4.18) to make the bed! Needless to say, we opted to make our own Also, unlike the transit hotel at SIN, the rooms are not ensuite, rather there are shared facilities down the corridor - again, more like a youth hostel!

After walking from baggage reclaim, we navigated our way through SkyCity and downstairs to Rest & Fly. Check-in was quick, and we were soon in our room (could wheel the luggage all the way from reclaim to the room, which was prety convenient)

Whilst you can wheel your luggage in, I didn't say you could fit people and the luggage trolley into the room!

What surprised us a little was just how small the rooms were - completely fit for purpose, and absolutely no complaints, but as a family room (or 4 young adults travelling together perhaps), it might get a little claustrophobic in there! The bottom bunkbed measures 140 cm wide and the top one 120 cm.

View of floorspace from top bunk - not much space to swing a cat, should one wish to do so!

Whilst nickbot did the important job (as roving reporter) of documenting the sparse facilities of the room, mrs nickbot performed the much more necessary task of making the bed, thereby saving us money What the website didn't convey was that you also have to unmake the bed the following day, or else the 50 Kronor charge would be appended to your credit card. I suppose it's fair enough, budget and no-frills and thus saves the chambermaid a few minutes in the morning to turn round the room.

Action shot of expert bedmaker, demonstrating her skills as nickbot relaxes on the top bunk

Finished product - I've certainly slept in worse, and would indeed sleep in worse later in the trip...

I didn't take any photos of the shower/toilet facilities, as there were too many people around. We had a quick wash and went straight to bed, setting the alarm on my phone to wake us up circa 4.5 hours later. Once the lights were out, the room was utterly pitch black, so quite conducive to sleep (no windows of course, as shown in the photos)

The welcome sound of the Nokia alarm roused us from our sleep, and we rushed round a little bit to pack up little bits and bobs and then grab a shower. The showers at Rest & Fly are completely communal (well, what I mean is, Male and Female are seperate, but all the boys are in together and likewise for the girls, i.e. no single cubicles) - not particularly my style, but at that time in the morning there weren't many people around, so a quick wash and we were soon ready to head out. I'd set the alarm relatively early in order to give us a fairly decent amount of time to appreciate the First Class check-in experience (!) and the lounge before our LH flight to FRA.

Front desk, Rest & Fly

Location shot, showing Rest & Fly and elevator walkway to main SkyCity terminal

Overall, Rest & Fly does what it says on the tin. It's a no-frills accommodation option, and was certainly reasonable value for what we needed (i.e. a place to sleep for 4 or 5 hours). There were folks who were overnighting in the terminal, sleeping on benches and floors in the main SkyCity building, but it was important for us to get some rest before our "Big Day" If there had been a Holiday Inn Express on the airport site, I'd have probably opted for that at slightly greater cost, but one can't knock R&F, as it was completely fit for purpose.

Comment

Great read so far Nickbot keep it coming champ!

Comment

I'm sure KeithMEL would've advocated an all-nighter, but sleep for us was certainly on the agenda in advance of our first ever First Class experience the following day.
                                Actually, I think I'd have done the same thing as yous did if it's also my first time FCL experience. Also mustn't let all that Krug and DP go to waste... Having said all that I slept through much of my SIN-MNL flight , one of the rare occasions I'm flying SQ F - but not before copious amounts of DP with breakfast.

Awesome TR so far, keep it coming mate!
                                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                                X