No announcement yet.

A380 LHR - SIN Inaugural Flight 18MAR2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From this bakery store, to synchronize with the theme of being SQ fan, I headed towards Union Square. Walking down Stockton St where the part of Chinatown was pretty busy that morning. Fresh seafood and fresh vegetables. Locals and tourists. The sun was higher now in the horizon. The weather was perfect. Sitting at Union Square facing the infamous Macy's where the Cheesecake Factory is located on top of the building.

SQTalk tag was sighted nearby the pink plastic bag.

The box from the bakery

And here you go, the egg tarts and moon cake as well as curry puff. The egg tart skin was flaky which is very good. And the custard was not too sweet.

After I felt too hot to sit under the morning sun, I decided to check out the old tram F line heading to Castro. Walked around a bit and back to the city. Playing around a bit at teh Apple Store, then taking BART back to the airport.
    Of course as expected, carrying a pink plastic bag would not give a “first class looking” pax. After helping a traveler who struggle with his suitcases from the station to UA check-in counter, I headed to LH First check-in. The girl asked “Are you flying in First?”

LH455 SFO-FRA (will be told later)

The report starts here from post #139.
    Last edited by SQ LPP; 31 March 2008, 05:44 PM.

Comment

FRA - ZRH on LH

ZRH - LHR on LX

Last edited by SQ LPP; 25 March 2008, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Hakkasan Dinner

Menu:

Jasmine tea smoked organic pork ribs
        Sesame prawn toast
        Fried soft-shell crab with red chilli and curry leaf

Stir-fry black pepper beef
        Grilled Chilean seabass in Chinese honey
        Pipa duck
        King Scallop in Yakiniku sauce

Seasonal Chinese vegetables
        Steamed jasmine rice
        Selection of Petits Gateaux from Yauatcha

Around 9pm we were all met near the front door of the restaurant. The two special guests were not there though. They were SO late.

We went in, and got seated. While waiting we had champagne courtesy of Howard Long. Thanks a million! Since the special guests were not seen yet, and yes, no cell signal inside the restaurant, we decided to start. We thought that we picked one each, but in fact the whole table got two sets of those on the menu. One set was on the side table where Howard Long, me, nickbot, and lobster seated. And the other set was on the side table where jhm, phaleesy and later on J777, Mr. I, and MAN Flyer seated.
        Here are some pics that I took.

Delicious pork ribs

The dark mood and the music was a bit too loud (but not as loud as where we seated last time)

Black pepper beef

Scallops

Low lights and unprofessional photographer made the result a bit odd...

Over all, we all satisfied with the food. So SilverKris magazine was right on the dot... And yes we could not finish everything.

Last edited by SQ LPP; 25 March 2008, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Dessert

Water melon martini

Hmm always very tempting to take pictures of the loo

Before midnight, jhm, phaleesy and nickbot had to leave to catch the tube. The rest of the group stayed behind and had more drinks. Time went by so quickly, and Howard Long had to leave because he had an early meeting in the morning. MAN Flyer, J777, Mr. I, Lobster and I walked towards Leicester Square, and found a local drink place. More gin tonics as well as lemonades for some. Looks like it was almost 3am when I went back in my room.

The face of lemonade drinkers at 2am ...

while MAN Flyer, lobster and I had tea!

Children should go to sleep soon!

Interesting decor at the bar near Tottenham Court

Last edited by SQ LPP; 25 March 2008, 11:20 AM.

Comment

almost 3am when I went back in my room.

Got awaken around 10am by a phone call informing me that LukeGT was on his way to the city from Heathrow. We decided to meet by the Four Seasons at Bayswater. I was too early when arriving there. Went in to Pret a Manger. Had croissant and double espresso. Lobster arrived soon and he joined me at Pret.

After more than 30 minutes, Mr. I, J777 and LukeGT arrived. But the Four Seasons was not opened yet.

Back to Pret A Manger. More coffee and yes the moon cake from San Francisco. Unfortunately the egg tarts did not make it to London. Well it was too warm in San Francisco. Thus the custard did not survived the heat.

Chest competition anyone?

At noon we were at the Four Seasons. Started with complimentary soup

Kailan and egg omelette with shrimp

Roast duck and eggplants

The duck-lunch-goers

Last edited by SQ LPP; 21 March 2008, 03:33 AM.

Comment

At 3pm got a sms inforing that we would meet at Green Park station. As always, when you need to rely on it, it would not work. Yeah the sms did not get to MAN Flyer. He got it after he left his Park Lane hotel (near Green Park), and he had walked and had arrived at my hotel in Piccadilly Circus. So we walked back together to Green Park.

We were waiting for pretty long time for J777 and Mr. I. No answer when we called them. It was almost 4pm... Then we saw Mr. I. That's when I posed as the proud owner of the special t-shirt!

We were still waiting for J777 who had to go to Hard Rock to get souveir for his friends. We saw him went down the stairs, but suddenly diappeared. MAN Flyer and Mr. I went to look for him at the station but failed. It was about 430pm already. I was getting nervous even though MAN Flyer had told me that he would treat us for a taxi ride to Heathrow. (He can't bear the fact that I had too many carry on! ) Thankfully, J777 suddenly appeared from the stairs of the station. We flagged a taxi down, and off for the airport.

A revelation of MAN Flyer disliking the bears community

Look! He is happier when no bear around.

Got sms from nickbot saying he had finished his class for the day. So we agreed to meet at the check-in area. Prior to arriving at T3, we saw these billboards.

Walking into Entrance E, we saw this

Of course by now everyone has known the surprise (posted after these posts were reserved for the report). Yes, MAN Flyer has booked the flight as well... I was speechless when he took off his jacket. I guessed I was not fast enough to catch the meaning of his saying good bye. Well I think the pictures from nickbot showed the real moment...

After check-in, (yes, mine was taking longer than the other two), I was happy to be in Y, and had two companies in this inaugural flight.

We got a gift box containing a luggage tag.
              Last edited by SQ LPP; 21 March 2008, 04:06 AM.

Comment

We went upstairs where MAN Flyer got the fast track lane, and J777 and I went to the regular security line. We decided to go underneath the barrier to get to a shorter line. But karma was there. We went through security quicker, but we picked the wrong line for the passport control. It did not move, nd we changed to another lane. While waiting, I noticed that if I walked to the right, I had to have shoe check. So once I got back my passport, I just went straight to the right without making any eye contact. Yes, I did not get picked for shoe check. We all went to SKL and decided to go to the Gate.

Near SKL

Towards the gate

At the Gate

We were all in economy class got a brief case full of mementos.

I was so happy to meet SQ celebrity persona Isabelle Chu, and Steve from New Jersey since the inaugural A345 SIN-EWR-SIN

We all will treasure this signage!

And I was so honour to know who had done first A380 charity flights as well as who just came in from SQ308 SIN-LHR inaugural flight.

While waiting around, I tried to connect with gakke from FlyerTalk. First sms I got was that he was at SKL. Then later on it was near the kiddie play area at the gate. At last, I met him, but forgotto take picture together.
                During the flight, he was seated 2 rows in front of me by the window. It seemed that he was sleeping most of the time! Or else, I was not in my seat... Hope to catch up with you next time, gakke!
                Last edited by SQ LPP; 25 March 2008, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Here is the bird that took us for the first A380 departing from London Heathrow.

Another view of the boarding area, and we knew it's time to board since the music stopped playing

It looked like J777 and I were boarded almost the last for the Y pax in upper deck. I could see that the overhead bins were full already. Yes, we got a one briefcase full of goodies. Will add the pictures later. We got the luggage tag after checked-in. And got a pin prior to enter the jetway.

Thanks to MAN Flyer who took the seat 19K, I had more reason to go to the C cabin searching for a place to store my rollabag. Thanks to J777 who took care the rests of my carry on. He put my bag of goodies inside the side bin by his window seat 77K. So I only had to deal with my computer bag and my lunch bag.

Lesson to learn: Overhead bin on A380 is pretty small. I don't think Tumi rollabag would fit in Y bin. Travel very light in Y next time.

And here are some pictures of Y cabin lower deck.

Some pictures at my seats

Last edited by SQ LPP; 21 March 2008, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Lavatories

The flight was supposed to take off from runway 27R, but a Lufthansa flight in front of the line had problem and we had to take off from 27L. Well it was a bad situation for all those lane watchers who were waiting for 27R taking off view. But it was a great for us. I could see T3 gates where we were boarded, as well as the new T5... and beautiful London view.

Soon, after we took off and the seat belt off, I saw far far away upfront, the purple kebaya IFS walked down the aisle. Hmm she passed MAN Flyer seat. And she walked further and stopped at seat 77H. As I said so many times, SQ always gives me feeling of being at home. Ms Suet is really giving the feeling at home on a different higher level. SQ is very lucky to have her. We chatted briefly, and she had to continue her duty. Well J777 witnessed the whole occurence. I know we are talking about “god-like-treatment” and what I experienced was one of the things that I would consider “god-like-treatment.” It's not tangible. The feelings of being greeted warmly by the IFS, the attention to details, as well as the way she remembers me, that's what I called a god-like-treatment.

Drinks service was offered. I just had gin tonic. (No warm nuts! He he he)

Moments later, guess what? I had a special drinks delivered personally by the IFS.

You see how happy Laurent was. Yes, it's Krug. And yes my seatmate in this trip got the same as well. How wonderful!

Did you get one, MAN Flyer?

Dinner Time

As I don't fly in Y often, I thought there was no menu. But, wait, I remember from my other Y flights, there should be a menu. I kindly inquired about it to the lovely SQ Blue Girl. (Well me being pita again! ) Ms Z informed us that menu would be given per request. The main reason was the fact that they run out of the menu from the previous flight. Everyone wants souvenir.
                    The menu cover was not the newest March cover, but the champagne buble A380.

Last edited by SQ LPP; 21 March 2008, 03:21 AM.

Comment

The menu is here (link posted later)

I picked the pork choice. J777 went for the steak. I thought the pork tasted allright. But later on I heard from other pax that they did not like the pork.

Indeed, I did not forget my lunch box, leftovers from the Four Seasons.

After finishing these meals, I went to the lavatories. And here is the view of upper deck cabin.

But, wait... since taking off, the flyers on middle row 80 were falling asleep immediately. And now even after the dinner service, they were still sleeping. Better capture those sleeping beauty moments!

As you can see from the tray picture, there was the dessert. But on the menu, ice cream was listed as dessert. So, another pita moment here. Asking Ms Z about ice cream, which she answered as yes, indeed ice cream would e served. And it was still hard. The drink was offered as well. And being a pita, I asked for double espresso... and I heard J777 mumbled something like earl grey. So I asked for it as well. Ms Z said she would served them after the C cabin finished with the dinner service.

After the crew cleared everything, I had to go in line again for the lav. I was informed that the C cabin had not done with the dinner service. Thus had to wait longer for my espresso. Thus, I had the opportunity to have my pic with SKB registration, as well as pic with the lovely FA.

Last edited by SQ LPP; 21 March 2008, 03:30 AM.

Comment

We decided to visit MAN Flyer in his C castle. And Ms Z knew where to find us to deliver the espresso and earl grey tea.

Back to the back galley, party, party, party. Hmm in this flight, there were two SQ Blue Girls with very strange hair do! Looks like a bad hair day to me! And, yes, Isabelle had awaken, and she was at the galley. Crowded. And she remembers that the captain of this SKB flight is the same captain in our A345 inaugural flight. She had prepared a plate with marker.

And others followed in taking pictures with the Captain!

The Captain received some gifts from iangoodwin.

Last edited by SQ LPP; 21 March 2008, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Beautiful views from the back of the wings

Last edited by SQ LPP; 21 March 2008, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Last edited by SQ LPP; 21 March 2008, 04:32 AM.

Comment

It is always an honour to take picture of me with the Singapore Airlines icon. And it's amazing that this time it happened on the inaugural flight of the new aircraft while I traveled in Y. Thank you for the belated conglatulation for my LPP status. I do hope to be in one of your flights in the future.

Yes, we were almost landed in Singapore. And every one joined the last photo taking in the back galley upper deck.

Last edited by SQ LPP; 21 March 2008, 04:31 AM.

Comment

It was a bit bumpy towards landing at Changi. Rain greeted us. We were at Gate A4. After getting off the jetway, there was a band welcoming us. And it's time to take more pictures!

Last edited by SQ LPP; 21 March 2008, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X