Bad experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
    Generally overall over the past 15 years, have seen the service level on SIA somewhat declining from what it used to be the world standard for other airlines. One thing though is for real and the meals are dropping in quality for sure.
    I don't dispute that but have to consider other factors too, among all, price. 5 years ago, a return J ticket to JFK was $10 to 12k. Today, at $8 to 10k. Is it acceptable to expect some slippages in service level? The answer is probably yes but the magnitude is subjective to individual. If a company keeps delivering the same while prices are falling on a long term trajectory then it is a matter of time they will hit the bump.

Comment

Originally posted by LeisureFlyer View Post
      I recently flew Emirates AMS-DXB-TPE return (all A380) in economy and I noticed a number of differences with my Singapore Airlines flights in economy earlier in 2017, AMS-SIN-AKL return (A350 & A380) and AMS-SIN(-HKT) return (A350). I must say, the hard product of Emirates is great, but in terms of service and transit airport Emirates is lacking behind.

The planes: I prefer the A380 over the A350 due to the lower cabin noise level and the A380 feels more spacious to me. With Emirates you have the opportunity to sit in front of the aircraft where the engine noise is hardly noticable. Upper deck on Singapore Airlines is also good but not many upper deck economy class sections in its fleet. However, boarding with Emirates was pretty disorganised and was better with Singapore Airlines' A380 to and from Auckland.

Entertainment: Emirates has very large screens in some of its A380's and the touchscreen works well with a vast selection of movies. A little bit better than Singapore Airlines and so are Emirates' headphones. Singapore Airlines has switched to earphones which I find quite uncomfortable with a bad sound quality. On the plus side, Singapore Airlines has a convenient reading light integrated in the touchscreen, but switching it on and off via the software can be complicated. Why not a simple physical button?

Meals: in my opinion, meals on Singapore Airlines economy flights are somewhat tastier. Pretty consistent. More a hit and miss on Emirates flights. However, I prefer the wine on Emirates flights. Both airlines use metal cutlery.

Transit airport Dubai versus Singapore: Singapore Changi is much better than Dubai. Dubai Airport is disorganised, ugly and sometimes overcrowded. Changi, with its gardens and ponds is so relaxed for a transit.

Cabin crew: Definitely better on Singapore Airlines. Much more consistent. Generally, the attendants of Singapore Airlines are more proactive, friendlier and better organised. Emirates is proud to announce its many nationalities of crew on board, but they barely work together as a team. Moreover, Singapore's crew distribute hot towels before the meal service while Emirates' crew distrubute them on other moments. I absolutely prefer the first. If you press the service button, Singapore's crew are more responsive.

While my experience with Singapore Airlines is better than with Emirates, I have to say that other airlines are catching up with their products and service level. The service on my KLM flight to Toronto last year was very good too and so were the meals. The gap is narrowing.
      In addition to my SQ versus EK experience: I have flown SQ once a year on average in the past 10 years. Nowadays, I don't see much difference with 10 years ago. In my opinion the cabin service has not much deteriorated and the hard product has even become better. They kept the 3-3-3 seating in their 777's, the baggage allowance has increased and I still enjoy the meals on board.

However, when I started flying SQ the experience felt more special than nowadays. At that time there was really a "wow factor" sometimes. Once my friend was sleeping during meal service on a long haul flight. Three or four hours later he woke up whereafter the cabin attendant asked him if he would like to have a meal. Usually flight attendants forget these things or they don't want to prepare any meals outside the routine. I rarely experience the "wow factor" anymore. Another possible aspect, I think SQ's difference with many other airlines was bigger in the past than it is nowadays. Other airlines have catched up with their service, hard product and quality of meals.

There are some aspects wherein SQ is definitely deteriorating: applied credit card fee for bookings, surcharge for bookings via call centre and they will soon start charging for seat selection along with the cheapest fares.
      Last edited by LeisureFlyer; 3 January 2018, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
        I don't dispute that but have to consider other factors too, among all, price. 5 years ago, a return J ticket to JFK was $10 to 12k. Today, at $8 to 10k. Is it acceptable to expect some slippages in service level? The answer is probably yes but the magnitude is subjective to individual. If a company keeps delivering the same while prices are falling on a long term trajectory then it is a matter of time they will hit the bump.
        Not sure if slippage of service because of lower price is the way to go. One must also remember that back then oil price was above US$100 to a high of US150 - but since last 2 years oil prices have tumbled to a low of US$45 to now an average of US$55 to near US$60. And this efficiency have also his coupled with the higher fuel efficiency of newer aircrafts like the A350s and the B787s which resulted in less fuel usage. And prices dropped would in part due to some competition especially from the ME3. However if SIA keep sliding backwards in service, whilst other airlines are stepping up, then it would not make much difference if SIA try all sorts of "budget airlines" methods to shore up its margin. By doing such as in cutting down on inflight services and meals and having to pay for seat selection amongst others will only "cheapened" the image of SIA from one of the full service airline and innovative service that SIA was.
        Last edited by flyguy; 3 January 2018, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LeisureFlyer View Post
          While my experience with Singapore Airlines is better than with Emirates, I have to say that other airlines are catching up with their products and service level. The service on my KLM flight to Toronto last year was very good too and so were the meals. The gap is narrowing.

I was on enroute to TXL from AMS by KLM in Dec'16. The flight was cancelled few hours before departure without any reason. It took me more than an hour to get through to them by phone! They had no option left for the day and expected me to sleep at Schipol airport overnight, take the next morning flight to LUX and then transit to TXL. According to EU regulation, the airline has to compensate all affected passengers. But KLM just refunded my ticket and shoo me away from there.

Comment

I was on enroute to TXL from AMS by KLM in Dec'16. The flight was cancelled few hours before departure without any reason. It took me more than an hour to get through to them by phone! They had no option left for the day and expected me to sleep at Schipol airport overnight, take the next morning flight to LUX and then transit to TXL. According to EU regulation, the airline has to compensate all affected passengers. But KLM just refunded my ticket and shoo me away from there.
            Wow...bad KLM. I was actually referring to the inflight service. Ground service level of KLM can be completely different and definitely not as good as SQ. At least they should have arranged a hotel in Amsterdam. You should have filed a claim for additional compensation according to the EU regulations. I suppose you can claim your accommodation expenses too. But not sure if that's possible more than one year after the flight and it also depends on the reason for the cancellation:

If your flight is cancelled you have the right to reimbursement, re-routing or return, as well as the right to assistance and a right to compensation. Compensation is due if you were informed less than 14 days prior to the scheduled departure date. The air carrier has the obligation to prove if and when you were personally informed that the flight was cancelled. If this is not the case you can contact your national authorityfor further assistance.
            However, compensation is not due if the carrier can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.
            Last edited by LeisureFlyer; 3 January 2018, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Spot on. I would say that prices in Y have largely collapsed from intense competition. SIN-HKG prices were almost double a decade ago, and SIN-PVG more than 3 times the saver price of today. The difference becomes more staggering adjusting for inflation. I remember having scallops in curry sauce on SIN-NRT SQ 88 almost 3 decades ago and tiger prawns on buttered rice on the way back. But it cost an arm and a leg just to fly in Y! Those days are gone and never coming back. Good and bad, I would say.

J's prices have retreated but it is still where the yields are, and that's where airlines pull out the big and ever bigger guns.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post

if SIA try all sorts of "budget airlines" methods to shore up its margin.

I read somewhere last night, that SIA will impost credit card fee for flight ex-SIN cited that this is common market practice.

If this is really the case, then 2 thumbs down for SIA. It is cheapen itself to the level of budget airlines!!!
                visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
                  I read somewhere last night, that SIA will impost credit card fee for flight ex-SIN cited that this is common market practice.

If this is really the case, then 2 thumbs down for SIA. It is cheapen itself to the level of budget airlines!!!
                  http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...d-fees-9831474

They are walking it back...

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post
                    Good to hear this.

But it actually show how "screw" their marketing people now.

If they really want to "impose" that credit card charge, they can almost "hide" this in the price.

If they sell SIN-BKK-SIN promo fare as $250, they can always sell it at $255 to recover that CC charges and no one will complain.
                    visit my blog

Comment

Its not really a bad experience but couldn’t find a relevant thread to post. Was on board SQ856 (9V-SMT) this morning. Crew distributed the meal menu without noticing it was wrong till we notified them. We got the menu for SQ51

Crew apologised and collected the wrong menu from the passengers which they almost finished distributing. It was careless of them.

Comment

Originally posted by PCboy View Post
                        Its not really a bad experience but couldn’t find a relevant thread to post. Was on board SQ856 (9V-SMT) this morning. Crew distributed the meal menu without noticing it was wrong till we notified them. We got the menu for SQ51

Crew apologised and collected the wrong menu from the passengers which they almost finished distributing. It was careless of them.
                        The menus have identical covers for all flights. Easy error to make and people are human. If this was the worst thing that ever happened on a flight...

Comment

Exactly as the menu have identical covers, the incoming operating crew shoud have checked the menu too before handling out. Although this is a very minor issue but it does shows somehow how the cabin crew have been less than attentive to check the small details and been somewhat careless from the senior crew down to the cabin crew did not check the inside of the menu.
                          Last edited by flyguy; 27 February 2018, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Last Dec on a B772 flight fitted with the 2006 Y products and IFE, the Krisworld guide loaded in all seats was for the older IFE system (only 80 movies) which did not match the IFE offerings. Not the fault of the cabin crew and guess the ground staff were not updated that the aircraft has been retrofitted.
                            My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Didn't read the whole thread after reading the first few post which are mostly trivial complaints. I have flew SQ for 20+ years and never any bad experience I can recall of except one or two cases, a big reason why I keep flying SQ again and again. If you want to experience bad service go fly one of those European carriers ( and I heard that US ones are even worse and they treat pax with contempt ).

That said, I start flying EvaAir recently and even on J, they are as good if not sometimes better than SQ, a pleasant surprise for me.

Comment

Reviving an old thread. Keep on seeing same complains on SQ Facebook recently regarding seats selections. SQ have been splitting the seats for an entire family and causing unhappiness.

The latest complain: one family of 4 (husband/wife/2yo kid/infant) requested bassinet seats long time back. Claim was allocated the seats. Just recheck recently n found that only wife/infant sitting together at the bassinet seat. Husband was allocated a middle seat rows away n the 2yo kid in a separate seat alone.

Not sure what happen but SQ should have done better in such case? Why on earth they let a 2yo sittting by himself, away from his parent? Not just this complain. Many other in same situation As well whereby a kid is sitting alone, away from his parents?

Think SQ should do something to their system to avoid such thing (which should only happen at those LCC if you are not willing to pay for seat selection).

It seem like SQ system is thinking that only one person with bassinet seat is confirm there. The other two person(even under the same family) can be moved to somewhere if someone is willing to pay/ask for these seats. For example 787-10 , the above family might be allocated row 41 D/E/G (41E is bassinet seat)., then someone else still can manage to get the system to allocate them 41D or 41G, thus splitting the family. Seem like a bug ?

Comment

Working...
                                X