Bad experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
    This thread makes me feel very sorry for the folk working at Singapore Airlines...

From folk travelling in PEY expecting the crew to read their minds to people demanding freebies from another cabin.

Some of you lot are really entitled and have impossible expectations that no commercial airline today will be able to meet. This thread could very well be renamed "First World Problems"

Exactly.

Could not agree more. The things I have heard in the SKL at Changi and a couple of other SQ lounges overseas.

A) father at SKL changi tells his his kids who are all on business class ticket for holiday: don’t worry, you want anything I can get it for you. I have no lack of money, ok?

Wouldn’t be surprised if the kids grew up to be another rich spoilt brat thinking the world (and SQ) owe them a living.

B) husband at HK F lounge complains to his wife, something about a gift from SQ for him, saying this is only $90. 90 bucks is nothing to me okay, useless!

C) father at LHR J lounge demanded that the lounge staff help him login to the system to help him check upcoming redemption tickets availability and report to him while he ate, and refused to do it himself. IT illerate?

In short, Singapore has no shortage of rich and/or arrogant and/or self entitled and/or hubris-bursting SQ customers. I look at these people and just roll my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverKrisSRG View Post
      Yeah... kind of 'kiasu' meh... hehehe... I always keep my own amenities in my suitcase at luggage, coz' stringent security carry on baggage on liquid (toothpaste, perfumes).

As a PPS they always greeted me when boarded, and I always asked if I ever need any assistance, prolly I expected too much from this lip services hahaha...
      I keep my toothbrush in a little ziploc bag in my carry on. Takes me 10 seconds to grab a bag from my kitchen when I pack. Is Colgate that important for the duration of a flight? Take it as a very short term reduction of triclosan then?

Comment

Originally posted by r123 View Post
        No such thread has yet been opened and I would never have imagined to open one until last week. It can help in the future those who want to share their poor experience on SQ though rare.

I flew SQ from SIN to IST on economy Y. It was my worst experience with SQ, with poor service and attitude from the crew, especially one of the male supervisors.

First, the crew served the meal without the drinks. Despite saying that the drinks would come soon, they only came after the dessert. A person next to me in her thirties ordered a Singapore Sling. One of the male supervisors (very rude) asked the passenger: "How old are you?" despite the fact that it was obvious the person was over 18. You could simply see that the only goal of the supervisor was to finish the meal service and turn off the lights. If he really wanted to make sure that that person was not a kid (of course it was obvious), he could check it in the system instead of asking the age of the pax. The fact that this is a night flight gives no excuse to such service.

I ordered wine from that same person, very rude to me too, and it came alongside my tea!!! I told the crew: "Really? You think it goes well with the tea?" and her answer was: "Yes, of course". I simply took it and tasted for the first time wine with tea, an original mix I have to say. Luckily one of the female crews was very friendly and smiling, sweetening the whole experience. I never experienced such a poor experience with SQ previously, especially such a rude crew. The rest of the flight was acceptable but it seemed that the usual SQ friendliness wasn't there.

I so far always praised SQ's service and sadly have to do the opposite this time. I hope this was an exception. Surely, SIN-IST route will need to be audited to avoid this kind of poor service and attitude from repeating.
        This reminded me 1 bad experience I got in past. My meal has a missing main course, even multiple reminder. In the end, FA finally responsed but captain has announced decending. I told the FA that I could not finished the meal in time. Her reply was I definitely have enough time!

Comment

Originally posted by tth_ben View Post
          Could not agree more. The things I have heard in the SKL at Changi and a couple of other SQ lounges overseas.

A) father at SKL changi tells his his kids who are all on business class ticket for holiday: don’t worry, you want anything I can get it for you. I have no lack of money, ok?

Wouldn’t be surprised if the kids grew up to be another rich spoilt brat thinking the world (and SQ) owe them a living.

B) husband at HK F lounge complains to his wife, something about a gift from SQ for him, saying this is only $90. 90 bucks is nothing to me okay, useless!

C) father at LHR J lounge demanded that the lounge staff help him login to the system to help him check upcoming redemption tickets availability and report to him while he ate, and refused to do it himself. IT illerate?

In short, Singapore has no shortage of rich and/or arrogant and/or self entitled and/or hubris-bursting SQ customers. I look at these people and just roll my eyes.
          Let's break this eye-rolling thread for a moment and remember our flights with SQ this year on this last day of 2017. Let's remember a smile or a gesture from our SQ girl or boy that I am sure have melted the most stony heart. Let's write in a compliment and wish them a Happy New Year, shall we?

Comment

After having read loads of rants, let me break the trend and write something positive.

I never fail to ask for at least two servings of Singapore Sling when flying with Singapore Airlines. I did that, too, on my recent SQ982/SQ981. Despite the relatively short flights, the FAs never forgot my orders and managed to deliver my well-loved cocktail after they had dispensed the meals.

Perhaps it helps that I show respect to cabin crew, even though I've no status with the airline anymore (I gave up my PPS when I left the corporate world). When I request for my drink, I ask nicely, "When you're free later, can you make me a Singapore Sling?"

To be fair, this is because I'm an aviation geek and familiar with how these girls work. Other passengers may simply expect to receive their Slings on the spot together with their meals.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent1000 View Post
              Let's break this eye-rolling thread for a moment and remember our flights with SQ this year on this last day of 2017. Let's remember a smile or a gesture from our SQ girl or boy that I am sure have melted the most stony heart. Let's write in a compliment and wish them a Happy New Year, shall we?
              Agreed. I have had taken about 200 flights with SQ, (short, mid, long and ultra long), though not a lot as compared to many but i have yet to experience a real bad one.

There is a unit of measurement known as parts-per-million. It is whether you look at the parts or million.

Comment

If anything makes SQ shine, it's the crew and their high standards. I've experienced some of the best service ever in 2017 in full Y cabins during peak season. I always get my peppermint tea before the lights go out!

If there's something consistently poor about SQ right now it's the clapped out, broken and poorly maintained 772 cabins. It's worth noting, however, that I have noticed that it's not only me that is having an awful flight in them (7 hours on a seat that has lost all structural integrity) but also the crew. They have to work extra hard in an old delapidated galley, deal with broken fixtures, restart patched up IFE, and unlike us, do it all with a smile. They don't get to make decisions about what they're given to work with- they just have to make it happen. I could never manage to do the job they do.

Comment

I've never had a problem with SQ at all. Although I am very sorry for your bad experience, unless you had to use the bathroom or get out of your seat for whatever reason urgently, unless it was a whole row, you should not expect SQ to come back to you if they skipped you or served your wholer row if you were not there. Whenever I press the call button, and I need something, SQ always gets it for me with no problems.

Try complaining to corporate if you think that would help.

Comment

Well, I have to say, SQ is just like other carrier. It does make mistake from time to time.

What I think set apart a good organization from the bad one, including SQ, is how they do service recovery.

I have to say base on my experience SQ is still among the best in the industry.
                    visit my blog

Comment

I have taken my first flight on SQ in 1995. I have completed more than 300 flights on SQ in all classes, in the past year I took 35 flights (less than the years before, though). I'am a QPPS for some years now and I was a loyal customer of SQ. Whenever possible I considered SQ as my first choice for all my private travels, even SQ was often the more expensive option.

What made me change? Mainly the inconsistency of their onboard service. I expect a certain professionalism for an airline claiming to be 5star. I see that disappearing more and more with the bad experiences increasing (IMHO it’s mainly down to the Inflight service manager). After another bad experience with constant bad service on SQ325 back to SIN in June 2017, I asked myself what’s the benefit to be loyal, the benefit being a QPPS, the advantage flying SQ? For myself I found the answer: None.

Some of you may suggest filing a complaint. Done that. Standardized (Automated?) answer received, changed nothing.

I have made my change, and I shifted my (private) business already to other airlines (I will give the price now much more consideration). JL without status in Y was quite a pleasant surprise, and I have made a very positive experience in PEY of LH a couple days back, an airline a few years back I said I would never fly again. I didn’t miss the feeling coming home.

Yes, there are still the exceptional crews, IFS which make you feel special when sitting in Y as a PPS, who handover a “Welcome survival kit” with bottle of water, eyeshades, socks or just a bottle of water or just welcome you and have a short chat. But the occasions are getting more and more rare. SQ seem to rest on their good reviews. Competition haven’t rest the past few years, they have seriously worked on their service attitude, not all good though, but improved significantly.

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
                      This thread makes me feel very sorry for the folk working at Singapore Airlines...

From folk travelling in PEY expecting the crew to read their minds to people demanding freebies from another cabin.

Some of you lot are really entitled and have impossible expectations that no commercial airline today will be able to meet. This thread could very well be renamed "First World Problems"
                      Iam not feeling sorry for the crew.

In fact its a minor request from a passenger sitting in J. To fulfill this request would make one customer happy without costing anything. The extra mile you would expect from an 5* airline (their ads are suggesting that they would go the extra mile).

To call that an impossible request is putting the story totally out of proportion.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post

In fact its a minor request from a passenger sitting in J. To fulfill this request would make one customer happy without costing anything. The extra mile you would expect from an 5* airline (their ads are suggesting that they would go the extra mile).

To call that an impossible request is putting the story totally out of proportion.
                        In return, the passenger should also behave like a 5* passenger. It's also does not cost anything to make the crew happy too working with you, right? After all, crews are humans too.

Comment

To be honest it does cost something? Nobody paid for the first class seat, yet a first class product was used hence they have to replace it for the next flight (ignore the fact that they don’t carry just enough but the extras are also meant to be first class passengers right?)

To be honest also, many minor things can add up. Imagine other J passengers asking for it too, even people in Y asking for J product or even F.

I think they may want to avoid continuing setting the same precedent that was set by other sets of crew that may not be right and setting the wrong level of expectations for future flights.

Of course the communication could have been better, but then other crews providing is already out of goodwill and crew dependent, shouldn’t be taken as a given I supposed?

Comment

That's one reason why I choose to pay more to fly with SQ. They are a fair and principled airline. I know that they'd rather close down the entire first class when there is no booking than to allow a J pax to sit in there even with only J amenities and food. I read about some other airlines that allow wanton upgrades, even for first timers with no FF status and I avoid them like the plague. Imagine having paid full for F or J, only to have your amenities or cabin shared with people who didn't. I think going the extra mile should be done on the basis of fairness to all passengers in all classes, and as per company policy.

Another reason is a personal experience way back in 2005. I was delayed by a US domestic airline and failed to catch my connecting SQ 21 (EWR-SIN).The 2 flights were booked separately. It was near midnight at EWR and reps from that US airline had fled before I could even spell 'help'. I couldn't find anyone to assist at the airport. Alone, young, almost out of money, and desperate to return to SIN for my new job, it turned out to be the SQ rep who reached out a hand. He stayed at the counter for more than an hour after they had officially closed to wait for the few of us on that same domestic flight. He assured us, gave us accommodation info and instructions on how to secure a seat on SQ21 the next day, which turned out to be full, and all this at no responsibility of the airline. I may enjoy the Krug and other niceties on SQ now, but it is their dependability and willingness to assist, especially during emergencies, that I prized most. And I know that this has not changed over the years. Until they do, I will fly with SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent1000 View Post
                              That's one reason why I choose to pay more to fly with SQ. They are a fair and principled airline. I know that they'd rather close down the entire first class when there is no booking than to allow a J pax to sit in there even with only J amenities and food. I read about some other airlines that allow wanton upgrades, even for first timers with no FF status and I avoid them like the plague. Imagine having paid full for F or J, only to have your amenities or cabin shared with people who didn't. I think going the extra mile should be done on the basis of fairness to all passengers in all classes, and as per company policy.

Another reason is a personal experience way back in 2005. I was delayed by a US domestic airline and failed to catch my connecting SQ 21 (EWR-SIN).The 2 flights were booked separately. It was near midnight at EWR and reps from that US airline had fled before I could even spell 'help'. I couldn't find anyone to assist at the airport. Alone, young, almost out of money, and desperate to return to SIN for my new job, it turned out to be the SQ rep who reached out a hand. He stayed at the counter for more than an hour after they had officially closed to wait for the few of us on that same domestic flight. He assured us, gave us accommodation info and instructions on how to secure a seat on SQ21 the next day, which turned out to be full, and all this at no responsibility of the airline. I may enjoy the Krug and other niceties on SQ now, but it is their dependability and willingness to assist, especially during emergencies, that I prized most. And I know that this has not changed over the years. Until they do, I will fly with SQ.
                              It is really about the principle. The principle that matters.

Comment

I have taken my first flight on SQ in 1995. I have completed more than 300 flights on SQ in all classes, in the past year I took 35 flights (less than the years before, though). I'am a QPPS for some years now and I was a loyal customer of SQ. Whenever possible I considered SQ as my first choice for all my private travels, even SQ was often the more expensive option.

What made me change? Mainly the inconsistency of their onboard service. I expect a certain professionalism for an airline claiming to be 5star. I see that disappearing more and more with the bad experiences increasing (IMHO it’s mainly down to the Inflight service manager). After another bad experience with constant bad service on SQ325 back to SIN in June 2017, I asked myself what’s the benefit to be loyal, the benefit being a QPPS, the advantage flying SQ? For myself I found the answer: None.

Some of you may suggest filing a complaint. Done that. Standardized (Automated?) answer received, changed nothing.

I have made my change, and I shifted my (private) business already to other airlines (I will give the price now much more consideration). JL without status in Y was quite a pleasant surprise, and I have made a very positive experience in PEY of LH a couple days back, an airline a few years back I said I would never fly again. I didn’t miss the feeling coming home.

Yes, there are still the exceptional crews, IFS which make you feel special when sitting in Y as a PPS, who handover a “Welcome survival kit” with bottle of water, eyeshades, socks or just a bottle of water or just welcome you and have a short chat. But the occasions are getting more and more rare. SQ seem to rest on their good reviews. Competition haven’t rest the past few years, they have seriously worked on their service attitude, not all good though, but improved significantly.

Just like how the lounge staff should go the extra mile and be a PPS customer's secretary and check and report back on all desired redemption dates availability for an upcoming trip, since this also does not cost anything? It is not a "minor request". He knew that the J class toothbrush was not good enough for him. The solution would have been obvious: if it was such a material issue, pay up and fly F and have his Colgate toothbrush (assuming he just for some reason could not pack a travel Colgate himself if it were so crucial). Instead, he stayed in J and thought it was perfectly fit for him to expect the crew to hand him F amenities. This is not "extra mile" service. This is a customer's disservice.

Reminds me of yet another PPS member I saw on SQ26 with a J ticket, demanding that the ground crew also escort her (along with other Suites passengers) to the LH lounge because "I'm a PPS". Even though the ground escort is clearly (and was repeated to her) a service provided only to Suites passengers. Doesn't cost the ground crew anything also eh?

I don't think it will cost SQ anything too for them to pass me the leftover J snacks when I'm flying Y. After all, they have to dump it upon arrival. I'll try and let y'all know.
                                Last edited by tth_ben; 2 January 2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X