KL Weekend Getaway on Malindo Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KL Weekend Getaway on Malindo Air

A short report on just a routine weekend getaway to the neighbouring capital city on Malindo, with tickets bought at very attractive prices. Checked in at Terminal 3 (no online check-in available for Lion group flights from SIN) and boarding pass issued.

Xmas wonderland in Terminal 3.

FIDS

Departure from Gate A14.

17 November 2017
    Malindo Air
    OD 806
    Singapore (SIN) - Kuala Lumpur (KUL)
    B737-900ER
    9M-LNG
    Economy Class
    Flight Time: 0H36M

Boarding just commenced.

The scheduled B737-800 was upgraded to a slightly larger capacity B737-900ER.

SQ B777 taxied in at the neighbouring gate.

Boarding the aircraft.

Passing the Business Class cabin.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Economy class seats.

Touchscreen IFE at every seat.

View out the window.

Boarding in progress for this very full flight.

Then a big boo-boo... We realised that we were seated at Row 27 instead of 26 when the actual Row 27 pax turned up. Moved forward to Row 26 and Horrors... there is no window on the supposedly "window seat" that we requested during check-in.... Maybe the agent does not know that Row 26 is windowless on the B739ER aircraft? Row 26 is at the sealed aircraft door (which was not in use on this low density B739ER). Adding to that, the IFE system on my seat 26A was completely broken....

Inflight magazines. Legroom was good.

Safety video played. Photo of the neighbouring seat. My IFE system was completely dead and the safety video did not play on my screen. Wondered if this is considered a safety lapse?

No further pictures out the window, and the windowless seat felt rather claustrophobic. Recline was pretty decent. Notified the crew about the dead IFE monitor but with the short flight, the forward crew did not attempt to reset the system. Quite disappointed with the non-follow-up.

Malindo has reduced the service on its short sectors to only juices on offer. Muffins are not offered now. We had a choice of berry or lychee juices amd had a cup of each.

Arrived on schedule in KUL.

Yes, it was a very short flight at an attractive fare but the various cock-ups made it not a too pleasant flight. Firstly, the request for a window seated ended up as a "windowless" window seat. Second, the IFE monitor at my seat was competely down, and could not even play the safety video (safety concern?), not even mentioning the non-existant IFE options. Third, even though we informed the crew after takeoff on the spoilt IFE monitor, the crew in the forward galley did not even attempt to reset the system. Understand that this was a short flight, but the crew should at least check back or attempt to explain that they are rather busy with service, instead of just ignoring the request. Probably it was my unlucky flying day, but this shows that a combination of minor slip-ups on such a short flight could still leave an unpleasant experience post-flight.

My Travel Map

Comment

We stayed at Hilton KL Sentral on this trip, which is luxury at very affordable prices. The bed is definitely one of the most comfortable I have slept on.

View from the room.

In search of the best charsiew in KL, I googled and decided on this very popular and highly rated eatery at the outskirts of KL. The charsiew is really melt-in-your-mouth delicious!

Sinful dessert at Melted Chocolate Cafe in front of Lot10 at Bukit Bintang.

Dinner at another popular eatery, Sin Kee Restaurant at KL Sentral.

Went to ICC Pudu for brunch on the Sunday, a place of good food all under one roof.

This stall selling egg tarts fresh out of the oven is very popular!

My Travel Map

Comment

Checking in for the flight back to Singapore with no queues at the Malindo counters.

A light dinner was had at the airport food court (with half the stalls selling similar food) followed by dessert cakes at Secret Recipe.

Immigration and security was empty. FIDS.

Spot the MH dugongs in the pic below.

Our departure gate was shared with a MH flight to Kathmandu.

Our aircraft would be the one behind.

19 November 2017
        Malindo Air
        OD 805
        Kuala Lumpur (KUL) - Singapore (SIN)
        B737-800
        9M-LCF
        Economy Class
        Flight Time: 0H39M

Boarding the aircraft. This aircraft is a newer B738.

Dusk

My Travel Map

Comment

Quite good legroom.

Malindo has enhanced its IFE selections.

[IMG][/IMG]

We had a slight delay awaiting missing passengers. Pushed back with safety video played.

Cabin dimmed and BSI mood lightings turned on.

Departure from Rwy32R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gXueaMFYqE

Flying pass KLIA and KLIA2.

IFE switched on after takeoff. Movies were not available on this short sector.

Only drinks were served.

My Travel Map

Comment

Selection of berry, lychee or apple juices offered.

Standard lavatory with the necessary.

Cabin view

Very soon, we were approaching from the west and had a very quick descent.

Approach and landing on Rwy02L.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyAv14Ysglw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfTotHWa3UU

Parked at the gate and disembarked.

A short efficient flight on Malindo if everything goes well.

My Travel Map

Comment

Great TR ycp81. Excellent pictures you provided of Malindo Air, it seems to be one of the few airlines whose newest 737s have PTVs.

Changi on the other hand is awesome for Christmas, I was there last year, and though I flew back on the 7th of January, they still had Christmas decorations and played Christmas music as opposed to the US where they keep the decorations anywhere til Jan 1st. I wonder how long Changi keeps them, out of curiosity?

My bad yflyer, fixed
              Last edited by SQfanatic; 4 December 2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                Great TR yflyer. Excellent pictures you provided of Malindo Air, it seems to be one of the few airlines whose newest 737s have PTVs.
                Er...this is ycp81's TR

Thanks for the report, ycp81! Nice food in KL...a lot of the char siew there is tastier than in Singapore...

Comment

Working...
                X