Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japan Jaunt to Sapporo in Autumn (TG Economy, JL Class J, SQ Business)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan Jaunt to Sapporo in Autumn (TG Economy, JL Class J, SQ Business)

A week back, I made a short trip again to Japan, to the city of Sapporo in Hokkaido to experience the Autumn season. Flights were booked on a mixture of TG, JL and SQ in various classes. For the flights up to Sapporo, it would be on TG via Bangkok.

Arrived at Changi 1.5hr prior to departure and checked in at the TG counters. Boarding passes were issued for both sectors and baggages were checked through to Sapporo.

Self-service check-in counters were being set-up and tested in T1, similar to those to be used in the ne T4 opening end of the month.

It was a lazy late afternoon in Changi.

Departure was from Gate C1. The gate seemed a bit too small for our almost full load of B777-300, which was upgraded from the original B777-200.

Our 18-yrs old aircraft had arrived on schedule and being prepared for the return flight to Bangkok.

13 October 2017
    Thai Airways
    TG 414
    Singapore (SIN) - Bangkok (BKK)
    B777-300
    HS-TKC
    Economy Class
    Flight Time: 2H27M

Boarding was called and boarding order was enforced. Boarding the trusty old B777-300.

This aircraft was fitted with the Skittles-coloured but classy and comfortable seats. A pillow was available on each seat. The economy cabin was huge with about 330 seats. I made my way to my seat at the second last row of the aircraft.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

The seat pitch at the 2nd last row (row 71) window seats was ridiculously good! Think it was at least 34" pitch. PTV was the older generation type, but enabled with touchscreen.

Blankets were offered by the crew and headsets were already placed in the seat pockets.

Inflight magazines.

View out the window. It was a quiet afternoon.

Boarding still in progress and it ended up a very full flight.

Safety video played and flying time was announced as 2hrs.

Pushed back slightly late and it was a short taxi to the runway.

Departure from Rwy20C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO2FfcJAN9k

My Travel Map

Comment

Menu of the flight is available in the IFE system.

List of beverages

Climbing

Flight map

Decided to watch a comedy "The House".

After arrival immigration cards were distributed, meal service started.

Meal trays were distributed and we both went for the snapper option. Tray consisted of a starter, main, roll and butter, dessert and a bottle of water. Plastic cutlery were used.

My Travel Map

Comment

Main course unveiled.

Drinks cart followed behind the meal cart, with the full bar selection, including liquors, wines, beers and non-alcohols available from the cart. I ordered a Gin & Tonic, and the stewardess prepared it rather strong, seeing the amount of gin she poured into the cup. TG offers the premium Bombay Sapphire Gin in economy, which SQ only offers in Business.

Tuna, potato and egg salad was good. The blueberry yoghurt mousse dessert was very tasty.

The snapper was full of flavour and delicious as well and portion was big! A very satisfying meal offered by TG on this short flight.

The view outside looked like this for majority of the flight with slight bumps...

Crew offering beverages.

Enjoying my dessert along with a cup of coffee which was later offered as well.

Visit to the lavatory, which was equipped with the necessary as well as a cologne. There were 6 lavatories at the rear of the aircraft and 4 in the middle, totaling a very generous 10 lavatories for 330 economy passengers!

View of the cabin. Well-maintained for a 18-yrs old aircraft.

Starting descent into Bangkok. However the pilot announced that we were required to hold for 15min due to congestion at the airport, which I presume was due to the bad weather over the airport.

My Travel Map

Comment

Approaching and landing into BKK Rwy19R. We arrived 25min behind schedule due to the hold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-erzRTZNBmg

Taxi and parked at the gate in a rainy Bangkok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9KxkO7sVuw

Disembarking and passing the Business cabin.

As we had a 6.5hrs transit in BKK, we popped into the city by the airport train and subway for dinner. There was barely a queue at immigration and we were in the city within an hour of stepping off the aircraft.

Had dinner at one of my favourite eatery at Talad Nam Seafood in Bangkok.

Followed by dessert at After You!

After spending 3+hrs in the city, we proceeded back to the airport again. It was rather busy with the many red-eye departures.

Departure gate at A5. The gate is normally used for domestic flights during the day and for international flights at nights. Flight appeared to be very full again.

13 October 2017
          Thai Airways
          TG 670
          Bangkok (BKK) - Sapporo New Chitose (CTS)
          B747-400
          HS-TGW "Star Alliance Livery"
          Economy Class
          Flight Time: 6H08M

Would be flying on the rare 20 yrs old Queen of the Skies for this sector. Boarding the Star Alliance liveried aircraft.

This aircraft was one of the earlier retrofitted ones, with the older ptv screens. Blankets and pillows already placed on each seat.

Legroom was pretty generous again at 34" pitch.

My Travel Map

Comment

TG A350 parked beside, heading to MEL.

Boarding in progress. Again, flight was very full.

Flight map

A snack will be served after takeoff and breakfast before arrival.

Safety card

Old-school controller.

Doors closed and safety video played.

Pushed back.

It was barely a few minutes of taxi to the runway and we were very soon taking off from Rwy19L for the 6hrs flight to Sapporo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK4w1SKUixs

After seatbelt signs were turned off, the refreshment service prompted started with the handing out of sandwiches followed by juices and water. My friend had ordered the seafood meal for this sector and the crew delivered his tuna sandwich.

My Travel Map

Comment

For the normal meal, a ham, cheese and tomato sandwich was offered. I also had an apple juice. After the quick snack service, lights were turned off.

With the comfortable legroom and seat recline, I managed to get about 3hrs of sleep. Woke up when it was dawn and we were about 2hrs away fron Sapporo.

Cabin distributed hot disposable towels, followed by the breakfast service.

The breakfast tray consisted of fruits, yoghurt, warm croissant with butter and jam, main dish and a cup of orange juice.

I chose the Fried snapper in mushroom sauce with Japanese rice. The portion was huge and the dish tasted alright. Fruit and yoghurt were good and croissant was delicious!

My friend's seafood meal consisted of grilled seafood skewer with buttered mashed potatoes, grilled tomato and peas. It was rather tasty as well.

Stretched my legs after breakfast. A look at the B747-400 door at the rear.

A total of 6 lavatories at the rear of the aircraft, and 4 in the center. Similar to the B773, there are a total of 10 lavatories for economy pax!

My Travel Map

Comment

Visit to the lavatory to wash up. Even though TG does not provide amenity kits or amenities in the lavs, toothbrushes, earplugs and eyeshades (not sure about socks) can be requested from the crew.

View of the B747 cabin after breakfast service.

We would be starting the descent very soon.

Descending into Chitose and flying pass Hakodate, which I went earlier this year.

Flying pass New Chitose airport for the approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDdXyngrUi8

Making a turn back to New Chitose Airport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVk66x1yLeI

My Travel Map

Comment

Landing on Rwy19L slightly ahead of schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch5FAgCEzik

It was a bit of a taxi to the international terminal, where we were the first international arrival for the day at the totally empty terminal.

Disembarking and last views of the Star Alliance Queen.

The 2 flights on TG has been truely comfortable even though they were in economy. The generous seat space, quality catering, reasonable IFE and good service has certainly enhanced the economy experience. TG certainly offers one of the better economy products in Asia and one of my top choices for flights in economy.

Immigration did not take too long as we were the first arrival and bags were out pretty fast as well.

The arrival hall of New Chitose International terminal looked pretty sterile.

My Travel Map

Comment

The domestic terminal and the linkway to it was the complete opposite however. There are Doraemon and Sanrio themed play areas and cafes along the linkway between both terminals.

Along the linkway as well, there is also a Royce Chocolate World, which includes a chocolate making factory, museum and shop selling limited edition Royce chocolates, including Hibiki 17 flavour! Not found anywhere else in the world.

And even a Royce bakery with amazing breads and pastries items!

Over at the domestic terminal, it was a bustling food market, shopping mall, and various eateries all in one. There is even an onsen!

Fresh seafood, including live crabs, are actually sold here!

And of course the obligatory shops selling Hokkaido products, which were in abundance throughout the terminal.

My Travel Map

Comment

An avenue selling all the sweet treats!

It was a 75min ride from Chitose Airport to Sapporo City. Quite a distance away and similar from Narita Airport to Tokyo City. Would be staying at the Susukino area.

Stayed at APA Susukino Ekimae, a 2-stars business hotel. Room rates were very reasonable and room size was adequate by Japan standards. Of course, all the amenities were provided for.

First meal after checking in was Soup Curry at Suage restaurant. Soup curry is a very Sapporoian dish and unlike normal curries we are generally used to, soup curry is lighter and less spicy, accompanied by lots of ingredients and japanese rice, a perfect comfort food for the Hokkaido cool weather.

Stroll along Odori Park, where the trees were gradually turning red/yellow.

Sapporo Clock Tower, a historical site among all the modern buildings.

Dinner at Hachikyo, famous for its Ikura-overflowing rice bowls!! The rich Hokkaido milk softee is a pefect ending to the meal too!

My Travel Map

Comment

Early the next morning, we embarked on a day-tour out of Sapporo to surrounding sights. It was a very quiet morning in the city.

First stop was Lake Shikotsu, about 1.5hrs drive away from Sapporo. The view was beautiful with the autumn leaves along the bay.

Next stop was Mt Usu, with a view of Lake Toya from the summit. We first had a Shabu shabu lunch at the base, which wa included in the Hot Bus tour.

After lunch, we rode the cable car up the summit. The summit offers a grand view of Lake Toya and surroundings.

There was also an active crater at the summit.

My Travel Map

Comment

Beautiful views from the peak of Mt Usu.

This mound was formed by an eruption in the 70s.

Having a soft serve back at the base. The hill behind sprouted out from the ground 70 years ago.

Last stop was the Noboribetsu Hell Valley. This area is famous for the hot spring resorts.

The smell of sulphur was pretty overwhelming, but scenery was nice.

Back to Sapporo city, where we grabbed some baked cheese tarts from a famed chain in Sapporo.

Dinner was All-you-can-eat crab buffet at Ebi-kani Gassen. For the price, it was pretty worth it if you can stuff as many king crab and snow crab legs within the time limit! I think I ate the equivalent of half a hairy crab, a whole king crab and a whole snow crab within 90min!!

My Travel Map

Comment

Checked out Nijo Market in the morning. Nijo Market pales in comparison to the variety of the Morning Market in Hakodate or the bustle of Tsujiki in Tokyo.

Brunch at Donburi Chaya within Nijo Market.

Walking street in Susukino.

Enjoyed a very rich and creamy softee. I missed the Hokkaido softees!!

Went to Maruyama Park to view the autumn foilage and visit the Hokkaido Shrine.

Picnicing with snacks from Rokkatei.

My Travel Map

Comment

At Hokkaido Shrine.

Night view of Susukino

Had a filling soup curry again. This time round, we tried Samurai Soup Curry and it was equally good, though the taste was quite different from Suage.

Chanced upon this store selling everything Kit Kat!

3 nights in Sapporo passed and we had to make our way back to the airport to catch our flight to Osaka. The airport bus stop was pretty near the hotel. It was not crowded at all on the streets in the morning.

After another 75min airport limo ride, we arrived at New Chitose's domestic terminal where our JAL flight would be departing from. Chitose airport has a ramen alley which has a concentration of various famous ramen stalls in Hokkaido.

We tried one of the most famous ramen in Sapporo, Ebisoba Ichigen Sohonten. There was a queue for seating but it moved fast and the wait was about 15min. Unique to this stall, the ramen is made of shrimp flavoured broth. It was totally satisfying and worth the wait,

Checking in at the JAL check-in counters. There are machines that spits out luggage tags, but totally useless if you do not have a JAL member card with RFI chip or a 2D barcode of your mobile boarding pass. Hence, we would need to be bag-tagged at the desks.

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                              X