Connecting Changi to Malaysia and Indonesia without entering Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting Changi to Malaysia and Indonesia without entering Singapore

Currently, passengers from Johor or Batam catching the plane at Changi would need to first use the causeway or ferry to enter Singapore, clear customs and immigration then use MRT to Changi for their flights by exiting Singapore again.

However, I wonder such practice has been paralyzing Changi's capacity to become the regional hub, especially with the introduction of the High Speed Rail between KL and SG in the early 2020s.

I believe the current arrangement would causes inconvenience to Johor and Batam customers, especially they need to bring to bring commercial samples or large amounts of alcohol that will need to be subject to Singapore's customs regulations, but it will bring pressure to Singapore's MRT system as we can see large amounts of passengers on our MRT with luggages causing inconvenience with others during peak hours.

Meanwhile Changi's main competitor, Chek Lap Kok has been working hard to eliminate such inconvenience by introducing cross border ferry service from nearby Pearl River Delta, and the Hong Kong-Macau-Zhuhai Bridge that is due for completion in 2018/19 will provide seamless transfer for passengers from Macau and western part of Guangdong province to use Chek Lap Kok without entering Hong Kong, which I believe it will prove popular and will become the major growth factor to Chek Lap Kok airport in the near future.

Therefore I wonder if Singapore should consider building seamless connections for Malaysians and Indonesians by:

1. Constructing an International Pier and provide ferry services directly from Changi to Batam and Johor Malaysia without entering Singapore.

2. Constructing the Singapore - Malaysian East Link at Changi that allow public transport from Malaysia to enter directly to a designated area at Changi (Airside) that passengers can connect flights directly without entering Singapore

3. Extending the KL-SG High Speed Rail through Singapore to the airside of Changi airport - thus passengers from Southern Malaysian cities such as Ipoh, KL, Melaka etc can catch high speed rail directly to Changi Airport and catch Singapore Airlines, instead of Malaysia Airlines and AirAsia to the rest of the world. This will not only reduce the pressure on the East West Line once the HSR opens, but it will allow Singapore Airlines and other Singaporean businesses at the airport to hugely benefit from the increased traffic from Malaysian passengers.

Finally, I wonder why Singapore Airlines and other Singaporean air carriers have failed to tap into the domestic air market for Malaysia, especially for traffic between East and West Malaysia. I believe Airlines in Singapore serves better than Malaysian carriers, and I wonder providing a one-stop transfer for East-West Malaysian flights at Singapore will lead to increased traffic at Changi thus promoting economic growth.

Discussions welcomed.

Very interesting idea. An international ferry an international train system linking Changi from and to Malaysia and Indonesia.

Guess it works for HKG because of the very Hugh traffic between Macau for gamblers and Zhu Hai / Guam Zhou for manufacturers not too sure if the numbers can match over here though.

Maybe not today but in the future where the numbers catch up. This post has vision and I wonder if our government has taken this into consideration

Comment

I wonder if the Malaysian/Indonesian governments would want this, though......i would think they would want their own people to travel via their own airport and airlines.......yet, the ideas and reasoning you presented seem quite sound to me from a consumer perspective.

Comment

very interesting ideas indeed, TS. And make a lot of sense from many angles.

Just to clarify, re your (1) there are currently ferry-services between Kota Tinggi and Batam/Bintan and Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal; recent news I recall is set to connect the Ferry Terminal to Changi Airport with a transfer bus service. Is this what you are suggesting, or construct a dedicated ferry terminal within the Changi Airport Complex with dedicated CIQ that links with ferry services to Kota Tinggi and Batam/Bintan (like HKG)?

for (2) are you proposing a ro-ro option for the Kota Tinggi ferry, or a road link, which will translate to a bridge spanning Kota Tinggi across the Johor Straits into SGP? Just spelling that out conjures within me the bag of political considerations quite apart from the logistics and engineering issues (for reference, consider SGP's MRT link with Johor Bahru, coupled with the straight/crooked bridge spanning 3 Malaysian PMs, and HSR).

for (3), just for discussion sake, while HSR allows SIN to become an attractive option for travelers from West Malaysia in terms of connectivity, does the HSR not also make KUL an attractive option for budget-conscious travelers from Singapore?

just some food to provoke further thoughts and discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
          Just to clarify, re your (1) there are currently ferry-services between Kota Tinggi and Batam/Bintan and Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal; recent news I recall is set to connect the Ferry Terminal to Changi Airport with a transfer bus service. Is this what you are suggesting, or construct a dedicated ferry terminal within the Changi Airport Complex with dedicated CIQ that links with ferry services to Kota Tinggi and Batam/Bintan (like HKG)?
          No doubt there is a bus service, but then you need to go through customs, get on the bus and enter through customs again. In the HKG/Macau example OP gave, there is a separate exit for ferries to Macau from the airside of the HKG Airport. In this case, there is no need to clear customs and also saves time and makes it attractive for people use the airport as a hub to get to another place.

for (2) are you proposing a ro-ro option for the Kota Tinggi ferry, or a road link, which will translate to a bridge spanning Kota Tinggi across the Johor Straits into SGP? Just spelling that out conjures within me the bag of political considerations quite apart from the logistics and engineering issues (for reference, consider SGP's MRT link with Johor Bahru, coupled with the straight/crooked bridge spanning 3 Malaysian PMs, and HSR).
          OP mentioned Malaysian East Link, so I suppose he meant from Desaru to Singapore (Vice versa) or even from Tanjung Belungkor (ferry to/from Changi Ferry Terminal) to Singapore. I guess, just like the above point, he is wondering if the govt can allow public transportation via ferries from Tanjung Belungkor to dock directly at the airside of Changi Airport. Thus bypassing the need to go through Sg customs.

for (3), just for discussion sake, while HSR allows SIN to become an attractive option for travelers from West Malaysia in terms of connectivity, does the HSR not also make KUL an attractive option for budget-conscious travelers from Singapore?
          I guess this would only be worthwhile is people plan to fly out through Malaysia based airlines (MAS, AA, FF, Malindo, etc). Not sure if it would be worthwhile in terms of time spent or even cost wise if I were to compare flying TG from SIN-BKK or HSR to KUL then TG from KUL-BKK.

Comment

Working...
          X