Magical Khao Yai In Thailand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magical Khao Yai In Thailand

Here, I will report on my trip to magical Khao Yai, about 2.5 hours away from Bangkok. My trip starts today, beginning with the legendary SQ982 SIN-BKK.

Fellow SQTalkers, my apologies for the very long silence. I had actually attempted to upload the photo of the infamous 9V-SRL to Photobucket while at Gate E20, however, I ran into problems. The rest of the journey passed quickly and then, I was sucked into work upon my return. A little more than three months later, I'm ready to tell my story. Thanks for your patience! Brother 259850, please take note!
    Last edited by SQ22; 3 March 2018, 05:11 PM.

Comment

My family arrived at Terminal 2 fresh and early. And what better way to while time than going out to the Sunflower Garden? Unfortunately, I did not have time to admire the flowers, as I spotted a Singapore Airlines plane in the distance.

It was time to head to Gate 20. There was a pretty long queue, as we had arrived late, owing to my son's spilling of his Iced Milo on his pants, which made us rush to a boutique for a last-minute purchase.

The infamous 9V-SRL, one of the last Boeing 777-200s in Singapore Airlines' fleet. This is much-talked-about "purple seats" among SQTalkers.

The head of the aircraft close-up. The nosewheel with the registration RL is clearly visible. You can sort of see the plane's age, right?

Another photo of the plane, taken from the front.

The last photo of 9V-SRL's exterior, taken just before boarding.

Comment

I was seated in Seat 54B. Notice the blue and purple seats around me.

More blue and purple seats. I specially took this photo to show you guys the "beloved" coloured seats, as well as the old-style monitor screens.

The 6.5" IFE. One Leading Stewardess I had fetched on Grabhitch weeks before my trip had told me she had just served on SQ972/SQ975. "Those screens cannot make it!" she quipped.

Lots of construction was visible outside the aircraft as it rolled to Runway 02C. Changi Airport is in expansion mode!

There was a long queue of planes waiting to take off. Here you can see AirAsia, SilkAir and Scoot. All narrowbody jets (not my personal favourite).

Liftoff! And here began a journey of slightly less than 2 hours to Bangkok!

Comment

The view out of the window, as we flew over Peninsula Malaysia's east coast.

Another view of the old-style monitors at the front of the cabin.

A long way to Bangkok!

I was pleasantly surprised with the SQ Girl passed me this menu, as the rest of the passengers didn't get it. My happiness was short-lived, however, when she took it back several minutes later. "We only have one copy," she explained nicely. Oh well...

I chose Deep Fried Five Spice Pork for dinner. For an Economy Class meal, this dish was pretty well-done. The meat was flavourful. My family members who had chosen the same dish shared my sentiments.

What got everybody go gaga, however, was the Sea Salt Caramel Ice Cream! The portion was large and the flavour was intense. In our local slang, shiok!!

Comment

The Sea Salt Caramel Ice Cream. Notice the large portion. I was surprised that my 5-year-old girl finished the entire tub on her own. Shiok again!!

No flight is complete without the famous Singapore Sling. Even on a short SIN-BKK flight, I made sure I had two servings of this cocktail, no less!

The aircraft made a strange, S-shaped turn near Suvarnabhumi Airport, before we went into the final approach.

This is how the final moments of the flight looked like on Flightradar24. I checked the flights that happened before and after my flight and apart from one, none followed this pattern. Does anyone know the reason for this weird approach?

The Bangkok skyline as seen at night.

Another photo of the night scene, just before landing.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
              [

The aircraft made a strange, S-shaped turn near Suvarnabhumi Airport, before we went into the final approach.

This is how the final moments of the flight looked like on Flightradar24. I checked the flights that happened before and after my flight and apart from one, none followed this pattern. Does anyone know the reason for this weird approach?

It's a usual STAR (standard terminal arrival routes) for 01L/01R that VTBS uses in times of peak traffic. Much like departures, which are called SIDs (standard instrument departures) where they follow certain paths for traffic flow or noise abatement measures. Eg; the immediate right turn over Pulau Tekong after a 02C departure in Changi for North Asian routes instead of a direct tracking up north cutting the coast of Malaysia.

Comment

Great TR SQ22. Glad you got to enjoy SRL before the end of the era.

Comment

Working...
                X