Hello Bali!! Y & C Class with KLM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Bali!! Y & C Class with KLM

After all the stressful paperwork in the office, I decided to go on a 4-day leisure trip to Bali.

SIN-DPS
    09 April 2010
    ETD/ETA: 16:45/19:20
    Flight KL835, B777-300ER
    Seat 55G

As it's been a while since I flew with KLM, I decided to try both their Economy and World Business Class this time. Outgoing by Y Class, incoming by C Class...tickets issued through Flying Blue's points redemption.

Boarding was prompt and efficient at 16:00 as in the case with any other western airliners.

Seen here, Turkish Airlines about to leave for CGK

95% full flight..clean cabin..relatively new plane from the smell and look of it. 3-3-3 seating format

All seats are equipped with IFE

Plenty of legroom space

At 16:40, the plane started making its way to the runway during the Safety Video demo.

KLM's crew will get a new makeover of their uniforms too. And for the first time, they
    will design a new uniform for the female pilots!! Well done

It was a busy afternoon at Changi...there were 4 flights to Bali within 20 mins of our departure.
    Seen here, QR left for DPS too just before we took off from the runway

Queueing for our turn to take off, with SQ flights parallel to us

Shortly after take off, the crew made a run with hot towel service and headsets distribution. Hot towel
    service is always a nice touch and gets a + point from me

20 odd minutes into the flight and it's meal time!!

I opted for a bottle of white wine to go with my "beef meal"...let's see what it's like below the cover.
    Impressive layout of their meal...very eye catching and colourful

Yummy...Roast Chicken Salad with Indian lenthils as appetiser, Black Pepper Beef & Vegetables with thai fragrant rice as main,
    and Vanilla custard pie with peach.

The meal tasted beautifully...I well commend KLM on this fantastic job. They can easily outdo other Asian
    airlines in terms of the meal presentation, quantity and taste.

My to-do-list: tea after meal

Enjoying the sky view from my window seat...

We arrived 5 mins ahead of the schedule at 19:15. The plane had some rough landing due to crosswind, apparently (or at least that's what the captain informed us!!). The sky was already dark at Ngurah Rai, but spotted there were QR, SQ and Air Asia...all from Singapore.

Hey, interesting TR, that was a nice read indeed, good job

Comment

..(continued)

Time flies and without even realising it, my 4-day trip is almost over.

DPS-SIN
      12 April 2010
      ETA/ETD: 20:40/23:10
      Flight KL836, B777-300ER
      Seat 3A

This leg of the journey, I tried the World Business Class.

As soon as the passengers boarded the plane, Hot Towel service and Welcome Drink came through before the Safety Video demo.

Tangy French Champagne

2-3-2 seating arrangement in C. 33 out of 35 seats were filled up!! Impressive

Seats are fully reclineable apparently

Oh yes, it's 180 degrees flat...nice

The lower grade of noise cancelling headphones...it still works fine though

And it's meal time again

Another impressive food display shown by KLM on this relatively short flight. I chose the lamb goulash option with cheese cake and chicken pate with mushroom. How did it taste?? well...

Haha...that tells a thousand words. The food was almost PERFECT!! Score 9/10

No meal is perfect without tea afterwards

Now that I'm full, it's time to explore the lavatory.

Hmm, well equipped lavatory...hand lotion, body spray, body lotion, handsoap..etc.

And we landed safely at 23:02..again ahead of the schedule. Overall, I would rate KLM 8/10.
      Two things were missing (which would have made the score higher if they were there): menu card
      and the worldly famous mini ceramic "Dutch House" that KLM used to give to its C class passengers.

Anyway, KLM did a good job overall and they deserve to get another rating up in SKYTRAX
      in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        Hey, interesting TR, that was a nice read indeed, good job
        Thanks dude....newbie here. Hoping to make a warm welcome into the club

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, diecastdrool, hope to see more of your TRs

Comment

Looks like KLM outshined SQ on the SIN-DPS route!! SQ don't even offer any appetiser on their EY meal trays on the DPS route!! Now, is anyone trying Qatar soon on the route?
            My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Nice to read a non SQ TR.

And welcome to SQTalk diecastdrool

Can you confirm the KL 777-300ER Y seating is 3-3-3 not 3-4-3?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                Thanks for sharing. Nice to read a non SQ TR.

And welcome to SQTalk diecastdrool

Can you confirm the KL 777-300ER Y seating is 3-3-3 not 3-4-3?
                Thanks 9V-SIA...I'm glad to join SQTalk.

Yes, KLM 777-300ER Y seating is indeed 3-3-3. I must admit that KLM really outshines SQ on this route in terms of the on-board service. This Flying Dutchman really knows how to serve Asian pax...I felt as if I were flying angmoh airlines but with an asian spirit!!

Comment

Originally posted by diecastdrool View Post
                  Thanks 9V-SIA...I'm glad to join SQTalk.

Yes, KLM 777-300ER Y seating is indeed 3-3-3. I must admit that KLM really outshines SQ on this route in terms of the on-board service. This Flying Dutchman really knows how to serve Asian pax...I felt as if I were flying angmoh airlines but with an asian spirit!!
                  Use to fly KL a lot between AMS and SIN 2 years ago as my company had a special deal with them. I can tell you that KL use to be really bad with customer service but that has been picking up. Service in C is generally good but in Y it can be a hit or miss, depending on the mood of the cabin crew. Catering wise, ex-AMS it is really nothing to write home about but the catering ex-Asia is generally better.

Never taken their 77W but on the 77E, I find the IFE way better than KrisWorld for some reason. On their 744's (which use to do the AMS-KUL run), no personal screens in Y and that can be a bit taxing for a 12hour journey (same as LH 744's).

Oh yah, the ceremic houses are only given on long haul and (I'm guessing) some medium haul flights in C (none on inter-Europe flights).
                  God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Nice report there!

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                    Oh yah, the ceremic houses are only given on long haul and (I'm guessing) some medium haul flights in C (none on inter-Europe flights).
                    Really? I got mine on a CGK-KUL run a year ago. Cost cutting maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                      Nice report there!

Really? I got mine on a CGK-KUL run a year ago. Cost cutting maybe?
                      Didn't think they gave them out on shorter sectors... Like you say maybe a cost cutting thing...
                      God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Great report.

I don't think KLM's business class seats on its 773ER are 180 degree flat. The last time I flew, I seemed to remember they were the latest generation angled lie flat. They were quite comfortable nevertheless.

As for the Mini Blue Delft houses, I got them about 6 months ago on the KUL - CGK run. Maybe they ran out of it for this particular flight.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                          Great report.

I don't think KLM's business class seats on its 773ER are 180 degree flat. The last time I flew, I seemed to remember they were the latest generation angled lie flat. They were quite comfortable nevertheless.

As for the Mini Blue Delft houses, I got them about 6 months ago on the KUL - CGK run. Maybe they ran out of it for this particular flight.
                          Thanks for the correction UMD...you're right, it's not 180 degree flat but really close to it.

Quoted from KLM's website:
                          "Onboard comfort
                          Let your worries float away as you sink into our World Business Class seat. At 190 cm long, reclining to 175 degrees and equipped with a massage option, you will arrive relaxed and as fit as a fiddle."

It really felt like 180 degree flat though

Comment

I got the house on a CGK-KUL run so I guess it's not a longhaul thingy.

Comment

Thanks for this trip report. My father flew SIN-DPS with them at the beginning of April and he said they did not hand out head sets to Y pax boarding in SIN. The passengers that stayed on from AMS still had them but they did not give out additional ones even when they asked for those only doing the SIN-DPS sector. Yet here in your report you got a headset... I wonder what was going on the day my dad flew with them.

Anyway, that was a great report. Thanks a lot!
                              My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Working...
                              X