• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SYD Airport Guide

This is the SYDNEY Kingsford Smith Airport Guide
    With thanks to contributors (as of now):
    kpc, UMD,simong

ARRIVING

Customs and Immigration formalities. Do I need to fill out any forms? How do I get through quicker?
    Regardless of your nationality you will need to fill out an arrival card which incorporates quarantine declaration.

Depending on the time of the day you arrive, quarantine can be very busy. Pax of incoming flights from Asia will be thoroughly vetted regardless of whether they present items for declaration due to the tendency of such pax to be in possession of items forbidden by quarantine laws like wooden articles or dried foods and then unknowingly failing to declare them. To avoid lengthy queues and unnecessary delay, simply buy something simple to declare (if you have nothing to declare) before you board your flight to Sydney - a chocolate bar usually does the trick and you'd be let through without having random customs people rummaging through your bags.

UPDATE:

Since 1NOV07, MEL, SYD and BNE have been conducting a 6-month Arrival Express Path trial for premium passengers. The Arrival Express Path will allow Suites, First Class, Business Class and *G passengers to clear CIQ via an express lane.

This new facility is offered as an extension to the Express Path on departure. Currently the only other airline offering such a service at these airports is QF, and I'm not sure if there are plans to extend it to other airlines.

Note: to use the Express Path on arrival, you must have nothing to declare. In other words, if you are eligible for this service, please disregard all previous recommendations to declare chocolate bars or Kris Chili Sauce on arrival. You must also have no more than TWO pieces of checked baggage.

Luggage reclaim : Do priority tags work? Is it quick or slow?
    Luggage reclaim does have a tendency to take an age relative to Changi, but otherwise comparatively efficient. Priority tags do work very well.

Duty Free Shops – Costs for typical items
    There is a duty free shop on arrival just before passport control, operated by SYD Airport Tax and Duty Free. Prices for typical items per this website.

Transport to Town tips – what’s the best way?
    Taxi - taxi ranks are plentiful, and taxis are freely available. Typical fares to the CBD will run about 30+ AUD, to elsewhere <Help needed here for typical prices to other destinations>

Train - All 3 terminals in Sydney have access to Airport - East Hills train line which serves the airport with the city (Redfern, Central, Town Hall, Wynyard, Circular Quay, St. James, and Museum) and the Southwest suburbs all the way to Campbelltown and Macarthur.

Access to the train station at the International T1 (International Station) is at the end of North Concourse past McDonald's close to the Qantas Domestic Transfer area. There is a lift that will go down to the train platform.

At JetStar / Virgin Blue Domestic T2, there are sets of escalators that go down to the platform (Domestic Station) located close to Virgin Blue baggage claim area.

At Qantas Domestic T3, there are sets of escalators that go down to the platform (the same Domestic Station as T2) on the east side of the arrival / baggage claim hall.

Are there any left luggage services? Where and how much?
    See here for prices and other info

Are there airport hotels? Are they airside? Are they within the compound?

There is no transit hotel inside the terminal. The 2 closest hotel to the airport complex are the Stamford Hotel and the Mercure Hotel. If any outgoing planes hit the 11 o'clock curfew and cannot fly out, airline will usually room stranded passengers at these 2 hotels. Most of the time, I believe it is the Stamford.
    Last edited by SQflyergirl; 13 January 2008, 10:02 AM. Reason: updates

DEPARTING

Best way to get back to the airport from town. How much will it cost?
    Taxi - The fare will set you back approximately AUD30+ from the CBD.
    Train - See section in "arriving" above

Which terminal? Who flies out from where?
    Terminal 1 – International Terminal
    Terminal 2 – Virgin Blue domestic terminal
    Terminal 3 – Qantas Domestic QF400 and up

Who has lounges here, and which one can I use?

INTERNATIONAL
    Once airside, look for the signs that say 'Airline lounges.' They're all located around the same area so it won't be that hard to locate the respective lounges.
    JL and UA are down one level from Departures near gate 63
    QF, SQ and NZ are up one level from Departures

There is an established Silver Kris Lounge here for all SQ pax and *Gs, with both Business and First class sections. The SKL is open 3 hours before the departure of each of the 3 SQ dailies. SKL has shower facilities inside the lounge.

UA operates an RCC here

NZ has one of their new style lounges at SYD. It is a *G lounge. NZ *G lounge has shower facilities inside the lounge

There is also a Qantas Club which functions as the main oneworld business lounge. If flying oneworld in First or holding oneworld emerald status, you are entitled to use the new Marc Newson-designed Qantas First lounge featuring restaurant dining, spa treatment and concierge service.

MH also operates a Golden Lounge at SYD it is located down one level near transfer counter (two levels below SKL)

DOMESTIC
    Both Qantas and Virgin Blue operate their own domestic lounges at SYD.

I’ve got access to more than one lounge, which one’s the best?

*Gs should try getting into the NZ lounge. Access really depends on the lounge bouncer you speak to but certainly not impossible - just frustrating.

For oneworld sapphire and emerald pax, the Qantas lounges are pretty much the only lounges in SYD.

What sort of food is available in the concourse areas?
    There are some fast food outlets, including Hungry Jacks (or Burger King for the rest of the world), and a food court landside at the international terminal. There are also various cafes and a Krispy Kreme.
    <Help needed in domestic terminals <Help needed here>

Any immigration forms on departure?
    Yes. You will be required to fill out a green departure card regardless of your nationality. This is available from most check in desks, if not - there are usually stacks of them near passport control.

How much time should I allow to get airside?
    You are advised to budget approximately 15-20 minutes to clear both passport control and security. The queues at passport control can be pretty long during peak hours, however the slow trickling of people clearing passport control means you'd usually get through security in a jiffy. In general, the departure boards are pretty spot on in telling you what to do, either 'relax', 'proceed to passport control', 'proceed to gate', or 'final call.'

If flying F, J or holding high tier FF status, you will receive a card at check in which entitles you to access Express Lane, a dedicated fast track service through immigration and security.

Any airport tax to be paid on departure?
    No.

Is there free internet around somewhere?
    There are internet kiosks located throughout the airport.
    <Is this also applicable in SYD? <Help needed here>

Any food or shopping that I shouldn’t miss before my flight?
    No, the best food is outside the airport. Duty free prices are rather average - but more savings to be made on liquor outside the airport at any Dan Murphy's. LAG restrictions do apply so plan accordingly.

How strict are they with hand luggage here?
    Not very. 2 pieces seems to be the norm regardless of class or carrier

Security – Laptops out? Shoes off? Tips? Any No-Liquid restrictions?
    Laptops must be taken out. Jackets and shoes can be left on, unless you repeatedly trigger the metal detector. You might also be randomly selected for an explosives' detection test.

Restrictions on liquids, aerosols and gels that can be taken through the security screening point exist for international departures.

You might be selected for a random bomb check post-security. The security staff seem to only select travellers who establish eye contact with them..... But if you do get selected, the check consists mainly of swabs of your body and belongings. Certainly not as vigourous or personal as the checks in FRA. I can sense that certain sections of SQTalk are disappointed.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Department of Transport and Regional Services
    All containers with drinks, creams, perfumes, sprays, gels, toothpaste and similar substances will have to be carried in a re-sealable transparent plastic bag, no larger than one litre, and be inspected separately at the airport screening point.

Each container should not have a capacity greater than 100 millilitres and all containers should fit comfortably in the re-sealable plastic bag. Exceptions will be made for passengers with medical conditions and quantities of baby food required for the flight. However, these items may be subject to additional security checks. Passengers can still take on board items purchased after the screening point, including duty free.

Please click here for more information.

Can I smoke in this airport? Where?
    This is an entirely smoke-free airport. The smoking room near gate 59 closed in 2007.

Anything I should avoid?
    Nothing of note

Last edited by KeithMEL; 8 January 2008, 08:12 PM. Reason: updates

Comment

CONNECTING

Are the international terminals and domestic terminals in the same building? How do I get around?
      The terminals are not in the same building. If you're connecting from one international flight to another international flight - simply stay airside, and proceed up the elevator to the departure concourse (it'd be clearly marked 'transit').

Regardless of which airline you choose to connect to for your domestic flight - you will need to clear CIQ and recheck your bags for all international to domestic connections.

QF /DJ Domestic Transfer is located at the North Concourse of T1 past McDonald's.

Virgin Blue Domestic Transfer is located at the South Concourse of T1 - where SQ and most of the *A airlines + EK, KE and MH use. Passengers need to exit the arrival concourse and turn left towards the end of the concourse for this.

Complimentary bus transfer - If arriving on a domestic QF flight, and transferring to a same day international flight (any airline) you are eligible to use the complimentary bus transfer. This departs from gate 1 at the QF domestic terminal, and drops you landside in international between the QF/OW wing and "others" wing. All that is required is either your luggage receipts or onward BP. Also applies in reverse.

<Help needed with writing the QF seamless transfer/DJ bus and train>

For pax connecting to an international flight, your bag should in all likelihood be checked through to your final destination if you're flying QF. Less likely so if flying DJ, JQ or REX (exceptions apply - contact your airline for more info). You will then need to go landside, up the elevator and proceed to the international terminal for your onward flight.

For pax connecting to another domestic flight, you'll be checked through to your final destination if you're flying QF. If you're making a DJ to REX (or vv) connection, your bags will be checked through to the final destination but you still need to collect your onward boarding pass from the relevant check in counters. However if you have to connect from a DJ or JQ flight to a QF flight or another DJ or JQ flight, you will have to recheck everything all over again at the respective terminals.

Other general tips

Overnighting at this airport:
      Is it possible? Do the terminals close?
      Unfortunately overnighting is not possible as the terminals are closed between 2400 and 0400.

Spotting at airport: <Is this also applicable in SYD? <Help needed here>

General commentary on this airport:
      Help needed here

If in doubt - please refer to the Airport's website.
      Last edited by SQflyergirl; 8 January 2008, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Surely we have some Sydneysiders who'd be able to help out?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
          Surely we have some Sydneysiders who'd be able to help out?
          All 3 terminals in Sydney have access to Airport - East Hills train line which serves the airport with the city (Redfern, Central, Town Hall, Wynyard, Circular Quay, St. James, and Museum) and the Southwest suburbs all the way to Campbelltown and Macarthur.

Access to the train station at the International T1 (International Station) is at the end of North Concourse past McDonald's close to the Qantas Domestic Transfer area. There is a lift that will go down to the train platform.

At JetStar / Virgin Blue Domestic T2, there are sets of escalators that go down to the platform (Domestic Station) located close to Virgin Blue baggage claim area.

At Qantas Domestic T3, there are sets of escalators that go down to the platform (the same Domestic Station as T2) on the east side of the arrival / baggage claim hall.
          Last edited by UMD; 7 January 2008, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Additional points to add:

SKL has shower facilities inside the lounge. I am not sure about the ANZ lounge since I only visited there twice and did not pay any visit to the washroom area.

There is no transit hotel inside the terminal. The 2 closest hotel to the airport complex are the Stamford Hotel and the Mercure Hotel. If any outgoing planes hit the 11 o'clock curfew and cannot fly out, airline will usually room stranded passengers at these 2 hotels. Most of the time, I believe it is the Stamford.

Virgin Blue Domestic Transfer is located at the South Concourse of T1 - where SQ and most of the *A airlines + EK, KE and MH use. Passengers need to exit the arrival concourse and turn left towards the end of the concourse for this.

QF /DJ Domestic Transfer is located at the North Concourse of T1 past McDonald's.

In Australia, all luggage need to be picked up and cleared customs at the point of entry. Thus the domestic transfers are all located post-custom clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
              SKL has shower facilities inside the lounge. I am not sure about the ANZ lounge since I only visited there twice and did not pay any visit to the washroom area.
              I think I have taken a shower there at NZ Lounge.

Comment

Thanks guys. Keep it coming! I'll edit it along the way

Comment

UMD's and SQ LPP's contributions incorporated!

Where help is still needed - I've highlighted this in red.
                  Last edited by SQflyergirl; 8 January 2008, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I have been back to SYD for a very long time since ... But I recalled that there is a left luggage service. But can't pin point exactly where after exit customs to the right towards the train station to the city.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                      I have been back to SYD for a very long time since ... But I recalled that there is a left luggage service. But can't pin point exactly where after exit customs to the right towards the train station to the city.
                      Yes, I believe there is one near to McDonald's. I know there are sets of coin operated lockers around that area as well. I will confirm next week when I am at the airport again.

As for free internet, I know for sure there is one sponsored by Optus with 3 or 4 monitors in the arrival hall close to the the meeting point. This is however on the land side. I will check if there is any on the airside or on the land side of the departure hall.

Additional note to add for Departure section:

- Trolley in the Departure hall will cost A$4 and it is non-refundable.
                      Last edited by UMD; 8 January 2008, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                        I will confirm next week when I am at the airport again.
                        Many thanks!

Comment

Left lugage at T1 Syd

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL...ge/default.htm
                          Baggage Storage
                          If you need to store any items at the airport, Smarte Carte operate a baggage storage service located at the northern end of the arrivals level.
                          Prices are in the link. The website above also has alot of info about Syd airport

Comment

KPC's contribution added. Thanks very much KPC!

Comment

sorry I will get stuck into this when I am back home next week....

Comment

Working...
                              X