SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > General > Trip Reports

Old 15th May 2017, 04:15 PM   #31
wdranne
SQTalk Elite Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by banoffi View Post
great trip report! really enjoyed reading (haha.. pun not intended) it, partly cos it gives me a preview as to what to expect for my upcoming trip!

I am also flying SIN-LHR, then CDG-SIN. After reading this report, I went to check if I had chosen a seat on the right side of the plane for SQ306, and i did! Looking forward to those views, as it's my first time going to London.
Hi banoffi! Yes please do snag a seat on the right hand side of the plane but do note that it's also dependent on your luck of the draw with the prevailing winds on that day into LHR.

Most of the time it is 27L/R in ops which would give you the lovely scenic S-shaped approach path into Heathrow but there are days where it'd be 09L/R in ops where you wouldn't really see any of the city at all on approach. Nevertheless, Windsor Castle will be the one you can look out for if its the 09s pattern!

Have a good visit!!
wdranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 11:06 AM   #32
yflyer
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP2

Programs: Krisflyer/Star Gold, Qantas Gold/Oneworld Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by banoffi View Post
great trip report! really enjoyed reading (haha.. pun not intended) it, partly cos it gives me a preview as to what to expect for my upcoming trip!

I am also flying SIN-LHR, then CDG-SIN. After reading this report, I went to check if I had chosen a seat on the right side of the plane for SQ306, and i did! Looking forward to those views, as it's my first time going to London.
Thanks, banoffi! Sounds like you have a great trip coming up! As wdranne has also mentioned, sometimes the approach is from the other direction (i.e. 09L/R), if that happens, look out for Windsor Castle. (As an old joke goes: why they built a castle directly under the flight path of a busy airport is anyone's guess... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by loldude333 View Post
My own SQ318 experience matches yours, though I was in the 2006 F, so clearly we're talking more timings and schedule than hard/soft product.
Not many better ways to experience SQ F than on a SIN-LHR sector like SQ318!

Quote:
Not sure if this experience is exclusive to me, but it seems to fit the general consensus that eastbound jetlag is a lot tricker to adjust to than westbound.
I think that is the general consensus. Westbound is not too different from staying up later than usual before sleeping -- something people do quite often, whereas eastbound means falling asleep "on demand" at times earlier than usual, which most people find difficult...

Quote:
Anyway, loved the TR. So detailed and helpful. I'll be doing SIN-KUL-LHR in MH Y in early July. Will strive to do a TR as helpful as yours.
Thanks, loldude333! Look forward to the MH TR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdranne View Post
Most of the time it is 27L/R in ops which would give you the lovely scenic S-shaped approach path into Heathrow
I hadn't realized it was an almost perfectly S-shaped approach until you mentioned it, wdranne!

Here is a screengrab of SQ 318's final approach into LHR from two days ago (Courtesy of flightradar24.com)...

Last edited by yflyer; 16th May 2017 at 11:27 AM..
yflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 02:02 PM   #33
CarbonMan
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS

Programs: PPS by the grace of SQ

Wow! So many pics, yflyer! Great job again.

There are two countries that I find the landscape quite mesmerizing. The first is Afghanistan and the second is Greenland.
CarbonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 10:41 PM   #34
yflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonMan View Post
Wow! So many pics, yflyer! Great job again.
Thanks, CarbonMan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonMan View Post
There are two countries that I find the landscape quite mesmerizing. The first is Afghanistan and the second is Greenland.
Which flights go over Greenland? Is it mainly flights to New York from Asia, or those which use the polar route?
Old 23rd May 2017, 06:50 PM   #35
wdranne
SQTalk Elite Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yflyer View Post
Thanks, CarbonMan!

Which flights go over Greenland? Is it mainly flights to New York from Asia, or those which use the polar route?
Mainly Europe to US transatlantic flights. But also company flight ops dept policy dependent. New York from Asia typically will route over the Pacific Ocean to take advantage of the prevailing easterly jet streams whereas the return from New York is distance-dependent; for eg. New York to Hong Kong is a Polar route whereas New York to Taipei isn't.

All in all, a lot of factors come into play in determining the published North Atlantic tracks for the day based on the conditions of the day. Also others such as company flight planning policy and aircraft type or even whether any non-MEL equipment is u/s.

DME-IAH vv used to be a Greenland crossing, but not anymore with MAN-IAH which takes a far southerly routing, as does FRA-JFK.
wdranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM   #36
yflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdranne View Post
Mainly Europe to US transatlantic flights. But also company flight ops dept policy dependent. New York from Asia typically will route over the Pacific Ocean to take advantage of the prevailing easterly jet streams whereas the return from New York is distance-dependent; for eg. New York to Hong Kong is a Polar route whereas New York to Taipei isn't.

All in all, a lot of factors come into play in determining the published North Atlantic tracks for the day based on the conditions of the day. Also others such as company flight planning policy and aircraft type or even whether any non-MEL equipment is u/s.

DME-IAH vv used to be a Greenland crossing, but not anymore with MAN-IAH which takes a far southerly routing, as does FRA-JFK.
Thanks wdranne! Very useful info. A recent HEL-JFK I did on AY flew just south of Greenland without crossing over Greenland itself, although we did fly over Iceland.
Old Today, 01:11 AM   #37
SQ319
SQTalker

Great TA as usual.

Back when I was living in UK, I would always choose the daytime flights for the approaches into London, and it's always fun pointing out landmarks that I know, including my own apartment. My personal preference is SQ308 so that I get in by around 3pm, and can get some things done before nightfall.

For LHR-SIN, it's always SQ319 for me (hence my handle), as I find the load for this flight is generally lighter than the rest, and it gets me back in the afternoon, so I can stay up for a bit after I land in SIN and fall asleep at SIN timings to beat the jet lag.
SQ319 is offline   Reply With Quote