Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ex-SQ A380's 9V-SKH and 9V-SKG towed from Airport to CEC for Scrapping & Parting Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-SQ A380's 9V-SKH and 9V-SKG towed from Airport to CEC for Scrapping & Parting Out

Some sad news reported in the local press today: 2 ex SQ A380's, 9V-SKH, and 9V-SKG are to be scrapped and parted out in Singapore. They were towed along public roads yesterday evening (4 Oct, Monday), on the way to Changi Exhibition Centre (CEC) for parting out in Singapore.

Article in CNA for reference below:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sing...changi-2215261

Very sad news indeed but impressive pictures and interesting to see that Singapore can actually perform this here.

Let's see what parts can be bought later from the upcycling initiative. I am on waitlist for a service cart

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
      I am on waitlist for a service cart
      Is there a waitlist somewhere that is available for individuals to lodge their interest?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ380 View Post
        Is there a waitlist somewhere that is available for individuals to lodge their interest?
        Absolutely:

https://nft.singaporenft.org

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
          Thanks, but I believe this is not a site maintained by SQ or its appointed agency; nor is it for the upcycling project?

Comment

This is a charity auction and SIA has donated them.

Comment

Maybe SIA could consider selling non airworthy parts of the aircraft to the general public and aviation lovers.

There are companies selling keytags out of scrapped aircraft skin and they don't come cheap. Conicidentally, one company sold keytags out of SKA and SKB and they were sold out. SIA should consider selling such tags out these jets.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
                Maybe SIA could consider selling non airworthy parts of the aircraft to the general public and aviation lovers.

There are companies selling keytags out of scrapped aircraft skin and they don't come cheap. Conicidentally, one company sold keytags out of SKA and SKB and they were sold out. SIA should consider selling such tags out these jets.
                Who said they didn’t?

SIA is playing with some ideas but no final decision on a launch date.

Comment

9V-SKH, 9V-SQJ and 9V-SKG at the Changi Exhibition Centre. Photos taken by my friend who went cycling this afternoon.

9V-SKH and 9V-SKG.
                  Last edited by SQKevin; 9 October 2021, 09:12 PM. Reason: Added a 2nd photo.

Comment

I guess these three airframes are owned by Singapore Airlines and with the COVID19 restriction in many countries where they usually send their aircraft for scrapping, they are scrapping locally. This could be a good learning curve for local engineers to learn the ropes of scrapping aircraft, new industry and job opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by jul247 View Post
                      I guess these three airframes are owned by Singapore Airlines and with the COVID19 restriction in many countries where they usually send their aircraft for scrapping, they are scrapping locally. This could be a good learning curve for local engineers to learn the ropes of scrapping aircraft, new industry and job opportunity.
                      I would have thought it would be cheaper to scrap them locally than make them airworthy and flying them somewhere else for scrapping.

Comment

I tot they already say want to keep the parts as spare ? That why they are parting it out at Changi?

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                          I would have thought it would be cheaper to scrap them locally than make them airworthy and flying them somewhere else for scrapping.
                          Scrapping them locally indeed saves a lot of cost compared to sending them overseas. However it very much depends on the deal between the airline and the airframe owner. The latter may dictate where to send to for storage or disassembly. In addition, the value of the airframe and local qualified expertise. SKF and SKG were among the first out of the production line, sending them to Europe might not be too ideal at current situation. Breaking up/recycling airframe requires certain certification from various authorities for safety and environmental reason. I am glad that this opportunity came about and created new industry for Singapore. Soon we may see more airframes being break up in Singapore. I think previously there were a few B737 scrapped at Seletar Airport and the DC-8 and 9V-SQK at Changi. I wonder where did the airframe went.....??

Comment

Originally posted by jul247 View Post
                            Scrapping them locally indeed saves a lot of cost compared to sending them overseas. However it very much depends on the deal between the airline and the airframe owner. The latter may dictate where to send to for storage or disassembly. In addition, the value of the airframe and local qualified expertise. SKF and SKG were among the first out of the production line, sending them to Europe might not be too ideal at current situation. Breaking up/recycling airframe requires certain certification from various authorities for safety and environmental reason. I am glad that this opportunity came about and created new industry for Singapore. Soon we may see more airframes being break up in Singapore. I think previously there were a few B737 scrapped at Seletar Airport and the DC-8 and 9V-SQK at Changi. I wonder where did the airframe went.....??
                            The former Boeing 747-200F (9V-JEA) of Jett8 Airlines was also scrapped in Changi in 2015.
                            Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVAW1mxo...dium=copy_link

SQJ being broken apart

Comment

Working...
                              X