• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Airlines stops serving peanuts as snacks in all cabin classes

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-cabin-classes

Channel NewsAsia article:
    https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...nacks-10189042
    Last edited by 9V-SPL; 30 April 2018, 08:44 PM. Reason: Added CNA link
    Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

This has been the case in Y since the beginning of April.
    It's now a mixture of the previous Mixed Nuts (served on Asian routes) and Muruku (served on Indian routes) - without the peanuts.

I must say it tastes quite nice

What are they serving in the premium cabins?

Last edited by icn.sg; 30 April 2018, 02:54 PM.

Comment

nutty

per recent experience,

in jcl, a ton of almonds plus a few token cashews

in fcl, cashews, macadamias, honey roasted walnuts

Comment

So what happens to the satay sauce?

Comment

The mixed peas taste great!!

Comment

Originally posted by saobangpo View Post
            per recent experience,

in jcl, a ton of almonds plus a few token cashews

in fcl, cashews, macadamias, honey roasted walnuts
            I hope they stick to almonds and cashews in J. Both are my favourites and I enjoy munching on them while watching a movie.

Comment

doesn't make sense at all. if every airlines, restaurants, eateries start doing this, then Mr. Peanut can pack up and go to mars. The onus is for whoever who's allergic to it to make known first and then take the necessary precaution.

Outright ban hurts the peanut lovers like me.

Comment

Paging SQ228....
                F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
                  doesn't make sense at all. if every airlines, restaurants, eateries start doing this, then Mr. Peanut can pack up and go to mars. The onus is for whoever who's allergic to it to make known first and then take the necessary precaution.

Outright ban hurts the peanut lovers like me.
                  But you don’t just fly SIA for the peanuts right?

Comment

The main onus should always still be the people who are allergic to peanuts and to inform the airline/crew and have the proper medication with them when they fly. Even if the airline do not serve peanuts, but there's no way for other passengers/children to bring onboard some peanuts as snack.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post
                      But you don’t just fly SIA for the peanuts right?
                      That is not the point - although perhaps SQ_326 may have been a little too specific in referring to peanuts. The point is that SIA is appearing to bend to customer pressure when the customer himself has his own duty to ensure he is prepared for such very foreseeable contingencies. The anaphylaxis triggered by peanuts can also be triggered by a variety of other things, including sesame, soy and shellfish. It may not be as "common" as people who are triggered by peanuts, but it still exists. So what then?

How about epileptics? What if the passenger next to them is watching some strobe light sequence in a movie? Time to censor or remove all movies with potentially epilepsy-inducing sequences?

Comment

From Strait's Times online:

In response to queries from The Straits Times, a spokesman for the national carrier confirmed that SIA implemented the move this month (April).

"Cashews, macadamia nuts and walnuts continue to be served in Suites and First Class, while almonds and cashews continue to be served in Business Class and Premium Economy Class," said the spokesman.

Snack packs containing peas and crackers have replaced peanuts in Economy Class.

So it seems like the move specifically targets packed peanuts and not all nuts. I guess having a large number of passengers open those packs cause enough allergens to be thrown up in the air to cause a fellow passenger to get a life-threatening reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by KC* View Post
                          So it seems like the move specifically targets packed peanuts and not all nuts.
                          Peanuts are not nuts. They are legumes. The others are nuts or drupes.

Comment

Originally posted by tth_ben View Post
                            That is not the point - although perhaps SQ_326 may have been a little too specific in referring to peanuts. The point is that SIA is appearing to bend to customer pressure when the customer himself has his own duty to ensure he is prepared for such very foreseeable contingencies. The anaphylaxis triggered by peanuts can also be triggered by a variety of other things, including sesame, soy and shellfish. It may not be as "common" as people who are triggered by peanuts, but it still exists. So what then?

How about epileptics? What if the passenger next to them is watching some strobe light sequence in a movie? Time to censor or remove all movies with potentially epilepsy-inducing sequences?
                            totally agree. I was on one of the TK flight and they made announcement that they will not serve their infamous macadamia nuts on that flight because there is passenger allergic to nuts.

I was quite piss, why the rest of the passenger has to suffer because of this 1 passenger.
                            visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by tth_ben View Post
                              Peanuts are not nuts. They are legumes. The others are nuts or drupes.
                              You are quite right. Peanut allergies seem to be getting more and more common. And unfortunately, because the proteins of peanuts are similar to many "tree-nuts" (even though it ISN't really a nut), cross-allergies do occur.

And you are also right in that so many people can have issues with so many other things that we need to draw a line somewhere. So a balance has to be made depending on "commonness" and "severity". Peanut allergies are quite common and severe peanut allergies can cause fatal reaction, so I am not surprised at the move.

However, SQ obviously decided to take a small risk in allowing walnuts, almonds and cashews (also not a nut) even though there are people with cross-allergies to them.

Selfishly, though, I do hope to continue having satay on-board (though that is not my only reason for flying SQ).

Comment

Working...
                              X