SQ continues to upset customers in 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ continues to upset customers in 2018

Didn't see this posted anywhere. Interesting Scoot's Campbell Wilson is now SVP of sales and marketing. It all makes sense now

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ne-says-its-to

A related article http://www.straitstimes.com/forum/le...t-do-it-fairly

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
      Didn't see this posted anywhere. Interesting Scoot's Campbell Wilson is now SVP of sales and marketing. It all makes sense now

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ne-says-its-to
      I actually had the same thought a while ago, I'm not sure having Campbell Wilson in such a senior position in SIA is a good decision. Also it feels as if SIA doesn't think before making decisions, it's ridiculous. I'm honestly starting to get a little worried because they obviously don't really know what they´re doing, and they don't seem to understand how these recent changes are affecting their brand. It's sad and I definitely hope that they get their act together as Singapore Airlines really is a good airline.
      Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

Trust and loyalty are to be earned. Maybe some of the marketing staff should have to watch those banking ads we have to before every show on Krisworld.

Comment

Whats the problem with Campbell Wilson?

Comment

http://milelion.com/2017/10/02/free-...o-pr-training/

https://mothership.sg/2015/06/heres-...out-but-didnt/

Is EWR thinking about this?

Comment

This issue first appeared when someone wrote in to the Straits Times a few days ago and it got picked up. But this again is a very bad move by SIA to make it a Yes to buying insurance as its Default which is notheless a adoption from budget airlines - but even this it seems too much as some budget airlines like Air Asia do not make it as a mandatory opt-out but given a choice for the customer to choose. What happened SIA?? Really to do such default opt-in to try and fleece those who may not have seen this? Is it worth it to annoy your potential passengers. There are quite a few who travel frequent;y who have bought yearl ytravel insurance and those whom are covered by their employers. The CEO must have known and approved this as doubt Campbell can do it alone and its a simple page lifted out of LCC.

Comment

Campbell Wilson struck me as someone who's fun but not very serious (remember Scootitude). Of course I don't know him personally but that's just the impression.

I am slightly upset he might be now at least partly responsible for bringing in, if not endorsing, sales and marketing tactics from Scoot into SQ. And I don't like Scoot. Jetstar is a much better airline in the LCC league (granted I haven't flown with 3K/JQ lately; they just seem less opportunistic)

Comment

Campbell Wilson was with SIA for some years before he was sent over to Scoot and where his ideas for LCC was strikingly similiar to Air Asia X in adopting most of their LCC features. And now that he is trasferred back to nainline SIA, he is trying to pull off some of the LCC style of passing costs to the passengers as part of SIA's transformation strategy. Really. And now it something else that SIA have become - definitely lost its status as a good full service premium airline. It have become something of a hybrid between a airline and that of a LCC. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                    Campbell Wilson was with SIA for some years before he was sent over to Scoot and where his ideas for LCC was strikingly similiar to Air Asia X in adopting most of their LCC features. And now that he is trasferred back to nainline SIA, he is trying to pull off some of the LCC style of passing costs to the passengers as part of SIA's transformation strategy. Really. And now it something else that SIA have become - definitely lost its status as a good full service premium airline. It have become something of a hybrid between a airline and that of a LCC. Sad.
                    This sounds almost a carbon copy of the criticisms the CEO of BA, Alex Cruz, gets (Alex Cruz was previously at Vueling, an IAG group LCC).

Comment

I have always wondered if the way SQ gets its feedback also skews its perception of what its customers think. Since my understanding is that they solicit feedback most closely and rigorously from their high end customers. And such customers would more often than not be flying premium classes and be less likely to be impacted, whether because of spending ability or because the tickets are paid for by the company, by the recent examples of tweaks they are making to their system.

Has SQ ever conducted a detailed survey of its economy class passengers views?

Comment

I recall CX recently did this too - automatically opting into travel insurance. Someone on Twitter called them out, and the decision was quickly reversed.

Comment

Well, lets see if SIA will do a U-turn on this - just like it did for the credit card surcharges. But really SIA have diluted its credibility and status of itself. Just wonder why the senior management can even allow this just to make a few bucks out of its mainly economy passengers, and in so doing making SIA more a hybrid LCC airline.

Comment

Made a work trip booking online a couple of weeks back as our corporate TA couldn't (or couldn't be bothered to) get the lowest fare bucket. Saw the insurance added and unticked the box before proceeding to pay. Wasn't upset at all!!

Economy class flying is increasingly being commoditized. SQ will struggle to find a business model to provide a more "differentiated" economy class service relative to its competitors while making money out of this product. This is especially true in Singapore, as unlike in HK, the government is, correctly, more intent on protecting its airhub status than its airline.

As I have stated before, I like how cheap flying is these days and the choices available. Except for a "select" few, there aren't that many "no fly" airlines left; flew PR and MU last week, can't really complain.

Mine may be the minority view among SQTalkers, but it probably is not among the broader Y-class flyers. I secretly envy those in their early twenties whom I know who fly a lot more frequently than I did at their age, taking advantage of the availability and affordability.

If SQ had an activist shareholder, s/he'd push them to scale down their fleet dramatically and get rid of Y class altogether. So maybe a much smaller fleet of B788s with premium configuration only.....and then stop nickle and diming the premium customers. Leave the commoditized Y class to TR.

Comment

commoditizing or sweating of Y seats is a trend and SQ shouldn't be faulted by moving with the trend. However SQ has a structural issue in maintaining its premium image with a monopolistic offering in the Y class. SQ is pretty much on the edge, doing nothing is as good as a sitting duck and pulling a fast but necessary one will ruffle feathers. Then again, people will get used to it and forget about it when the dusts from the feathers settled down.

Who has forgotten about UA and Dr Dao now?

Comment

Working...
                              X