Singapore Airlines promises revamp for flagship Changi T3 lounges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Airlines promises revamp for flagship Changi T3 lounges

AusBT reports that SQ plans to revamp it's T3 Silverkris (Business, First and TPR). They even managed to get a quote from the CEO:

“We are expecting to look at what we what to do with our lounges in T3 starting this year,” says Singapore Airlines CEO Mr Goh Choon Phong, "but the lounge is a huge project in T3 so it would probably take a few years.”

Source: https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-a...tm_source=hero

Personally, I thought it would be strange to have the 'home away from home' concept in Changi since it is well, SQ's 'home'. I always felt SQ could capitalise on Changi's strength to make its homebase stand out- gardens. If the Silverkis lounge was bigger, it could have its own set of themed indoor gardens which would liven it up. I imagine that would drive up maintenance costs a lot though.

‘Home away from home’ is more of a residential design reference (and IMHO executed far better by Ilse Crawford for Cathay Pacific) and it’s also iterative - I’d expect that there is ample room for the Changi T3 lounges to embrace a very evolved version of Home Away From Home and incorporate flagship Singaporean Changi elements such as gardens (which BTW I reckon is a top idea). Meanwhile, the Gold lounge can become the backyard shed in the Home Away From Home scenario....

Comment

Originally posted by djsflynn View Post
      Meanwhile, the Gold lounge can become the backyard shed in the Home Away From Home scenario....
      Too well said!!

Comment

The lounges which have wowed me so far have been (In no particular order):

- QF's SYD F Lounge
        - EK's DXB F Lounge in the dedicated A380 terminal
        - CX Wing (Both J and F)
        - JL's Haneda Lounge
        - Virgin's LHR Clubhouse
        - QR Al Mourjan Lounge in DOH

(I've not been to the TK IST lounge, nor LH's Dedicated F Lounge in FRA, so can't speak for those...)

My wish is that SQ will revamp their lounges with the objective of topping these "destination" lounges...
        Last edited by yflyer; 3 April 2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

I am always disappointed with the T3 lounge and TPR is not that great either. The selection of wines in First Class are average at best, you cannot see daylight and the food tries too hard to cater to all tastes, whether Chinese, Malay, Indian or Western and ends up doing none very well.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post

- QF's SYD F Lounge
            - EK's DXB F in the dedicated A380 terminal
            - CX Wing (Both J and F)
            - JL's Haneda Lounge
            - Virgin's LHR Clubhouse

(I've not been to the TK IST lounge, nor LH's Dedicated F Lounge so can't speak for those...)

My wish is that SQ will revamp their lounges with the objective of topping these "destination" lounges...
            For me, I will add LAX's Star Alliance lounge. Love the outdoor fire place on a cold night while plane spotting.

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
              “We are expecting to look at what we what to do with our lounges in T3 starting this year,” says Singapore Airlines CEO Mr Goh Choon Phong, "but the lounge is a huge project in T3 so it would probably take a few years.”

Source: https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-a...tm_source=hero
              Starting this year? I was under the impression that they had been looking at the T3 lounges since the first 'home-away-from-home' lounge opened to see what works and what doesn't and the new T3 lounges have been in the planning stage for a few years already. Not only think about it now. Especially since SQ might abandon T3 and move to the new T5 in several years time.

SQ needs to step up their lounge game.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post

- QF's SYD F Lounge
                - EK's DXB F in the dedicated A380 terminal
                - CX Wing (Both J and F)
                - JL's Haneda Lounge
                - Virgin's LHR Clubhouse

(I've not been to the TK IST lounge, nor LH's Dedicated F Lounge so can't speak for those...)

How about BOM’s GVk lounge. I think that’s my current favourite although should take that with a pinch of salt as I have not been to any of those you mentioned except may be EK F lounge which I found too sprawling, too quiet.

SQ’s own in T3, I find quite nice actually. I am not sure if it needs that much of an upgrade. Although I think their catering is very very dismal. Perhaps they can do more live cooking (like in TK lounge), or some basic to-order menu. And a live bar counter. New furniture needs to be added in for more privacy (semi cubicles which can be used for working). And for the TPR, perhaps a day room. Complimentary massage services will be great too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                  I am always disappointed with the T3 lounge and TPR is not that great either. The selection of wines in First Class are average at best, you cannot see daylight and the food tries too hard to cater to all tastes, whether Chinese, Malay, Indian or Western and ends up doing none very well.
                  Unfortunately the no daylight issue with all the SQ lounges in T2 and T3 will not go away even with a lounge refresh, given the buildings structure and location of the lounges.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                    Starting this year? [...] Especially since SQ might abandon T3 and move to the new T5 in several years time.
                    I was very surprised to hear that they are even publicly thinking about a lounge refresh as I would think that SQ will consolidate all their operations at the new T5 when the time comes. But that’s just my speculation for now.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                      How about BOM’s GVK Lounge. I think that’s my current favourite although should take that with a pinch of salt as I have not been to any of those you mentioned except may be EK F lounge which I found too sprawling, too quiet.
                      Thanks for pointing out the BOM GvK lounge, SQueeze! Yes that is a very nice lounge too! I really enjoyed myself when I visited this lounge prior to my Air India BOM-SIN flight in 787 Y...

As for the EK F Lounge in DXB...I quite like it, although the concept of an entire terminal level in DXB dedicated to an F Lounge was quite disorientating at first. The wine and catering in that lounge when I was there was exceptional though...

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SKU View Post
                        I was very surprised to hear that they are even publicly thinking about a lounge refresh as I would think that SQ will consolidate all their operations at the new T5 when the time comes. But that’s just my speculation for now.
                        T5 is still a good 10-12 years away from completion. The refurbished T3 will probably be due for another refresh around the time they move into T5.

Comment

I'd agree, around ten years would be the time for a refresh, especially of heavily-used lounges. Given the current ones are ten years old I'd say 'soon' is the right time for their makeover and that will give SQ another 10 years to make the most of that investment.

Comment

The T3 Lounge looks quite dated. The prospect that the re-vamp will take a few years is quite disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SKU View Post
                              Unfortunately the no daylight issue with all the SQ lounges in T2 and T3 will not go away even with a lounge refresh, given the buildings structure and location of the lounges.
                              I know, it just seems really odd that one would have expected SQ would have first dibs on where to put the lounges. It begs the question, do the team that design the Changi ones ever travel and see other airlines' lounges!

Comment

Working...
                              X