SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
    Wow, I think I can safely say that nobody here saw that coming! SQ have never tried to offer JNB anything more than what they have to and the only time the destination is mentioned on this forum, the view is that they take the route for granted. When we have discussed where replaced 77Ws might cascade to, I can't recall ever having seen JNB suggested.

I think this may be more about what to do with an excess of 77Ws and the sudden lack of 772ER refits. In fact, this might be part of the reason why SVG has disappeared, since that will reduce the need for 772ER refits by two.

The announcement indicates that F "service" will not be offered, but I'm wondering if they might over-book J and upgrade some passengers to the F seat but keeping the J service? Otherwise 8 seats will remain empty.
    The excess of 77Ws sounds like a good guess because a few times people have speculated that the 77Ws SWJ-T will be refitted and they will probably leave SWA-I with the old interior, to the fact SWA-I could replace 772s and 773. Then again, if they decide to refit all 19 77W it would be a completely different story.

And the fact that F is not offered tells me they would be a possible A359 candidate (Who would have known someone read my mind when I said this on the forum before)

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
      And the fact that F is not offered tells me they would be a possible A359 candidate (Who would have known someone read my mind when I said this on the forum before)
      Agree - the lack of F suggests it is a short term measure as the fleet transitions. A shift to the A359 would be the most likely outcome.

The more things change, the more excited and intrigued I get about what SQ will do with the 777s. Looking at FleetIntel, the glut of 777s seems to just keep increasing.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ238 View Post
        As I am reading back through this thread it is exactly 12 months to the day from your post hjerpa.

Flight SQ970 just departed SIN at 7.15am and is 9V-SRJ.

I think we are going to have these old planes on my most traveled route forever.
        Well, for a few days in April the SIN-BKK route is going to get a rather significant upgrade. From April 12-14 SQ972 from SIN and the return SQ975 are going from the SRJ/SRL pair to... an A380.

Comment

• Originally posted by vasqflyer View Post
          Agree - the lack of F suggests it is a short term measure as the fleet transitions. A shift to the A359 would be the most likely outcome.
          Since to be so as checks on the flight for the later part of the year, SQ is offering PEY on the route and plane used is the 4-class 77W. However, the 4-seater F cabin is not opened for sale.
          My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
            Well, for a few days in April the SIN-BKK route is going to get a rather significant upgrade. From April 12-14 SQ972 from SIN and the return SQ975 are going from the SRJ/SRL pair to... an A380.
            Songkran?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
              Songkran?
              Yes. Service will be flown with the 4-class A380s with a bit of economy in the upper deck.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ238 View Post
                As I am reading back through this thread it is exactly 12 months to the day from your post hjerpa.

Flight SQ970 just departed SIN at 7.15am and is 9V-SRJ.

I think we are going to have these old planes on my most traveled route forever.
                yes sigh....i will be taking the return flight from BKK on one of these next week...oh i am so lucky....

Comment

• i was cleverly blocked from selecting 77w to haneda (due to business class cheap ticket), and was stuck with 772/773. it is really time they retire all of those old fleets. Not comfortable on long haul, though still understandable for CGK routes.

Am on the phone to finalise my upgrade to business class on other booking. The website said that no seat is available. I said to the agent: i just checked with your colleague if the seat is available and he said yes. They acknowledge that and put me on hold for the process now, but my point is that I think they do not make it easy to do a booking on their newer planes despite it being available (except by calling them). Just my thought/speculation.
                  CGK SIN A359
                  SIN ICN 77WN
                  HND SIN 77W
                  SIN CGK A359

Edit: and i got the upgrade

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                    Wow, I think I can safely say that nobody here saw that coming! SQ have never tried to offer JNB anything more than what they have to and the only time the destination is mentioned on this forum, the view is that they take the route for granted. When we have discussed where replaced 77Ws might cascade to, I can't recall ever having seen JNB suggested.

I think this may be more about what to do with an excess of 77Ws and the sudden lack of 772ER refits. In fact, this might be part of the reason why SVG has disappeared, since that will reduce the need for 772ER refits by two.

The announcement indicates that F "service" will not be offered, but I'm wondering if they might over-book J and upgrade some passengers to the F seat but keeping the J service? Otherwise 8 seats will remain empty.
                    Not quite. These rotations will be performed by 77WR aircraft, not by 77Ws. They will have PEY. And they will shift to A359s in due course (hence, no F). The 77WRs will come from the next conversions following 9V-SWP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bitterroot View Post
                      Not quite. These rotations will be performed by 77WR aircraft, not by 77Ws. They will have PEY. And they will shift to A359s in due course (hence, no F). The 77WRs will come from the next conversions following 9V-SWP.
                      Wow you read my mind. I was thinking the exact same thing, hence why I still believe SQ could refit all the old interior 77Ws (And possibly 77WN if demand warrants it).

The way my line of thinking was could be the 77WR because they have only 4 F seats whereas all other 77Ws have 8 F, which would make more sense than 8 empty F seats. Also, I'm starting to think the same thing with BCN/GRU and possibly MXP since it was also announced later this year F won't be offered. Nothing with DME/IAH unless they decide to go 77WN if enough franes freed up

Comment

• And I'm also starting to think if the 77WR routes will be possible candidates for the A350 (HKG, LHR, SYD, DXB, FRA, ICN/SFO).
                        Last edited by SQfanatic; 19 March 2016, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                          And I'm also starting to think if the 77WR routes will be possible candidates for the A350 (HKG, LHR, SYD, DXB, FRA, ICN/SFO).
                          Not with the current configuration, I think. Those destinations you mentioned have F service, which the A350 doesn't currently offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                            Not with the current configuration, I think. Those destinations you mentioned have F service, which the A350 doesn't currently offer.
                            I hope not. The 77Ws should stay at SFO, after all, comparing it to the EK A380 which I took in 2014, the 77W is just more comfortable. Also did a "dummy" booking for JNB and the poster was right, yes PEY is offered so they seem to be expanding on it to more destinations as more aircraft get refitted rather than letting them go to waste. From a 772ER to a 77W with the newest cabin products is a HUGE upgrade

Comment

• I feel sad some of the old 777s are leaving the fleet. Definitely the 773s which I would fly sometimes from SIN to MAA or DEL. Yes they are old, but they will bring me back some good memories. Sadly they do not fly them to TRV, else it would be more comfortable from TRV-SIN than SilkAir.

Comment

• SYI is fitted with the 2006 Y and Panasonic eXK IFE.
                                Last edited by viraj735; 27 March 2016, 07:15 PM.
                                The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Working...
                                X