Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carry On Case Recommendations

Hi All,

I am looking to buy a new carry on case (with wheels) I use for the overhead lockers. My last one was given to me new and has no brand. It has done me well but it getting a little tatty.

I know next to nothing about luggage. I was wondering what others have and can you recommend anything please?

Thanks

I personally like the silver coloured Rimowa Topas cabin luggage. Very sleek and smart looking.

Comment

The Samsonite EVOA is a little on the pricey side but it is the best luggage I have to date. Lightweight, durable and I could squeeze 10 days worth of clothes in there and not check in.

Comment

What's your budget?

Some here love Tumi, some love Briggs & Riley, LV, Rimowa, Samsonite.

Very hard to answer your question. All down to personal preference I think and your wallet

Comment

I have used Samsonite and Eagle Creek in the past.

The Eagle Creek wasn't very stylish but it lasted for years and years, both as carry-on as well as many trips as checked luggage (Where bags get very rough treatment). Very sturdy.

I've always admired Tumi and Rimowa but have never used their carry-ons. Lots of Rimowa fans here. I have Tumi checked luggage and they can take a fair amount of abuse.

I've also heard good things about Briggs and Riley, but never used them.

My current carryon is a Japanese Proteca MAXPASS H2s.

https://www.proteca.jp/english/series/maxpass_h2_s.php

It doesn't look particularly stylish but does the job, and is very light. So far, it has proven itself pretty sturdy as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
            What's your budget?

Some here love Tumi, some love Briggs & Riley, LV, Rimowa, Samsonite.

Very hard to answer your question. All down to personal preference I think and your wallet
            Totally agreed.

My preference is a soft bag and not a hard case so i recently got a crumpled with 40% off and used it on a recent trip and love it but I know many who dislike soft bags

https://www.crumpler.com/au/spring-p...with-wheels-m/

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
              My current carryon is a Japanese Proteca MAXPASS H2s.

https://www.proteca.jp/english/series/maxpass_h2_s.php

It doesn't look particularly stylish but does the job, and is very light. So far, it has proven itself pretty sturdy as well.
              Looks nice!

Comment

Thanks for the input! I will check out the suggestions.

Comment

Just tagging on - What's the lightest carry on hardcase available? I changed to a new job recently that requires 3-4 day travel around the region regularly, and am looking for a carry on just to keep toiletries, spare shoes and some clothing (no need to pack laptop), as I'll have an office provided.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by banoffi View Post
                    Just tagging on - What's the lightest carry on hardcase available? I changed to a new job recently that requires 3-4 day travel around the region regularly, and am looking for a carry on just to keep toiletries, spare shoes and some clothing (no need to pack laptop), as I'll have an office provided.

Thanks!
                    Enjoy your travels, banoffi! Others can chime in on which is lightest, but what I found makes a difference is getting one of those bags with 4 wheels rather than 2 (I believe they are called spinners), which can move freely, rather than rollers with 2 wheels that you need to drag along at an angle...

Quite a number of Rimowa fans on SQTalk, I think...

Comment

Thanks yflyer! ,

I have a 2 Rimowa check in bags (salsa air) and while I love how light it is, I have decided my next bag won’t be a 50/50 clamshell style (is that the way to describe it?) and I would prefer 2 posts for the telescopic handle bar. I’m also a 4-wheel spinner kind of person.

I read a lot about the Briggs and Riley baseline and I’m attracted to the compression system. However I’ve also read there’s the possibility that the domestic upright spinner may not pass the carry on requirements for certain airlines. Anyone here has had first hand experience with that? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by banoffi View Post
                        I read a lot about the Briggs and Riley baseline and I’m attracted to the compression system. However I’ve also read there’s the possibility that the domestic upright spinner may not pass the carry on requirements for certain airlines. Anyone here has had first hand experience with that? Thanks.
                        Thought you were asking about hardcase designs.

A few of us have https://www.briggs-riley.com/collect...2-wheel-u122cx and never had an issue.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Thanks Huge AL, I think I’ll go check it out a a brick and mortar store soon!

Comment

Keep in mind, if you go with the 4-wheel spinners, you WILL lose interior space. The wheels are also much smaller and more prone to breakage. Not so much an issue with B&R, but something to keep in mind as you may have to take it in more often.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                              Keep in mind, if you go with the 4-wheel spinners, you WILL lose interior space. The wheels are also much smaller and more prone to breakage. Not so much an issue with B&R, but something to keep in mind as you may have to take it in more often.
                              The #1 reason why I use 2-wheelers

Comment

Working...
                              X