No announcement yet.

SQ B747-400 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does this mean they've retired the 744's on the SIN-MEL route? I recognise some registrations in that list

Comment

Oh well. Traitor Air has been acquiring quite a number of SQ's 744s. One more 744 gone.

Comment

Am I the only one who feels slightly sad about this? There is something special about travelling on a 747. Especially in SQ F!

Comment

Originally posted by Greatfox View Post
          does this mean they've retired the 744's on the SIN-MEL route? I recognise some registrations in that list
          The 744 is still alive and well on the SIN-MEL route, operating daily as SQ227/228.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Yeah, I would definitely miss the 747. Took my first business class on a 747 upper deck.

Comment

I think it is mad to spend double redemption miles for F on 77W than F on 744.
              I will miss the 744 when it is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                I think it is mad to spend double redemption miles for F on 77W than F on 744.
                I will miss the 744 when it is gone.
                1000% agree.
                I felt really good doing my last three segments for my LPP run, starting with the regional F on 772, then the newest in the market on 77W, and ending with 744! Will cherish those moments. And it's very sad to say good-bye to 744, door 1L turn left.

Comment

I'll also miss the aircraft formerly known as Megatop. Most of them are already gone. Perhaps the WhaleJet will be really great in a way that makes us miss the Megatop somewhat less.

Comment

I will miss the 744s a lot. Have flown in them since I was young, do have lots of memories flying on them. The 77W cannot beat the 744 experience, but hope the Superjumbo is better than the 744.

Comment

I checked online.

The sales for 747-8I is terrible.

Is it because of the A380?

Hmm... I will miss the Megatop.

Why SQ never consider buying huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Megatop View Post
                        I checked online.

The sales for 747-8I is terrible.

Is it because of the A380?

Hmm... I will miss the Megatop.

Why SQ never consider buying huh?
                        Are you kidding? The 747-8I SuperJumbo has been outselling the WhaleJet during the time both have been available to order. Sales for both are low because the market for such large aircraft is tiny since the A350-1000 and 787-10 will beat both VLAs in CASM.

A further SQ order for anything larger than an A350 looks unlikely for the next ten years or so.

Comment

I have an awful lot of love for the 744, so many special flights (both with SQ and others before my eyes were opened!) - still an ambition of mine to fly F on 744 before they are retired.

On our one and only (well 2 flights, LHR-SIN-SYD) Raffles experience so far, back in May 2005 on our honeymon, mrs nickbot and I were seated up on the top deck and that for me was the pinnacle of my flying experience to date,....ever so closely matched by our SQ321 experience with CGK and upright man of course

Love the 744,....will welcome other experiences of course, but she's such an amazing aircraft and will always hold No.1 position in my heart!

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                            Are you kidding? The 747-8I SuperJumbo has been outselling the WhaleJet during the time both have been available to order. Sales for both are low because the market for such large aircraft is tiny since the A350-1000 and 787-10 will beat both VLAs in CASM.

A further SQ order for anything larger than an A350 looks unlikely for the next ten years or so.
                            We will never know. These days, airlines prefer twin engine jet with the same capacity due to the lower CASM. Most airlines prefer to have a larger amount of widebodies rather than fewer giant aircraft.

Uh, doesn't VLA refer to "Very light aircraft"?

Comment

Very LARGE Aircraft

Comment

Okay, how stupid of me.

Comment

Working...
                                X