Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ's lost mojo - overdue for a good rant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cashsuds View Post
    I will be more dramatic than simply saying its lost it mojo. It's completely lost its marbles!!
    I recently flew SQ First SIN-SEL and had ordered BTC. Guess what !! they did not even load it on board and the Crew had to apologise to me profusely. No question about the fabulous crew working their butts off on board and making up for all the inadequacies and cost cutting. The new CEO had built up a good record running Cargo. I get the feeling that we're a piece of meat that needs to be transported from A to B.
    It's getting so bad that I get magazines with well used corners and coffee stains/ dried spaghetti sauce on them - This is in First on the A380!!! Is this a fair comment or am I too fussy??
    Crew have always covered the shortcomings of various departments, from ATC to poor quality ice cubes. That was the practice pre 2005. Since then, they were largely treated (incorrectly) as an expensive cost centre. For some reason, they were a great punching bag for all seasons.

Its obvious the business should be people oriented, and they prefer to view people as either a cost or cash cow... the loyalty program is viewed as a cost. (Did you get chocs this year?).

Instead of allocating a larger budget for mags, they may well increase more staff to monitor discipline. Its a driving focus that keeps a platoon of executives employed well into their 60s.. no need to extend retirement ages for this very senior group. Its the remaining legacy from the 70s era.

Comment

Some fair points by milehighj and Nick C.

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
      Fair comment, considering CX had brand new and sealed inflight magazines in every economy seat pocket when I flew with them 2 yrs ago. Not sure about now though.
      CX has sealed inflight magazines yes, but they are not all brand new. Most of them are actually reused magazines.

Comment

Without a doubt, SQ today is different than SQ back then.
        I still think they are the most consistently good airline in the sky (from my limited experience flying the rest of them out there), however the margin where SQ is leading in terms of product quality and service is narrower than ever.
        I do like SQ's Suites product - as a First Class product, not a class beyond First. Yes, the bed is too firm and too narrow but no biggie for me. I appreciate the semi-private nature of the Suites. I dislike mechanical part for turning the seat into a bed though. I would expect fully automated seat to bed conversion for First and Suites.

First is now too close to Business. Yeah I know SQ Business has become very good. But if they have decided they have market for First on some routes, they need to make sure it is attractive enough for the market to be willing to pay the premium.

To be fair, IMHO SQ regional product is still among the best around. Compare SQ new regional J to CX regional J they offer for China routes, for example. That dreaded SQ old J compared to GA new J for CGK-SIN-CGK. I would still take SQ's regional product anytime. This not taking into consideration the odd long haul product appearing on regional flights (like new CX long haul J sometimes on CGK-HKG-CGK route).

The cost cuttings (no table cloth on short and some medium haul regional routes, no F/J ticket jackets, closure of SKL F lounges at some stations, food quality/amount reduction, etc.) contribute greatly to SQ 'losing the specialness' from before. I am sure some of them are necessary, but I feel some are overly done. With each cost-cutting, the closer they become to 'the rest of them out there'.

To stay ahead as the best - as a world class brand representing Singapore to the world, I do feel that SQ needs to rethink its current strategy.
        Last edited by StarG; 18 November 2011, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Nick C, regarding the under ordering of 77Ws, things could have been worse. SQ could have done a QF

Originally posted by StarG View Post
          Without a doubt, SQ today is different than SQ back then
          Cost cutting is an industry wide problem. Just hope SQ loses the race to the bottom

I still think they are the most consistently good airline in the sky (from my limited experience flying the rest of them out there)
          I have been consistently happy

I dislike mechanical part for turning the seat into a bed though. I would expect fully automated seat to bed conversion for First and Suites.
          +1

First is now too close to Business.
          I am in the minority here. No one else seems to like 77W F.

Being 6' tall, I appreciate the extra length and width in F.

In pictures they may look the same as New Business Class.

In seat mode, not much difference

But in sleep, I get way better sleep in F

To be fair, IMHO SQ regional product is still among the best around.
          +1.

To be objective, you have to compare seats between airlines within the same generation.

The cost cuttings
          To be honest, the only thing I do notice is the food quality has gone down

Comment

To not offer award flights at the same rates across their whole fleet is a complete joke. How long can they hide behind doubling miles rates for a "new" product??????????

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
              [B]
              I am in the minority here. No one else seems to like 77W F.
              Being 6' tall, I appreciate the extra length and width in F.
              In pictures they may look the same as New Business Class.
              In seat mode, not much difference
              But in sleep, I get way better sleep in F
              I also like the 77W F. In fact, I prefer this over the suites. It's the only airplane flat seat that I can actually get some sleep on.

As for SQ loosing the mojo, I'm not sure if all these ranting actually make any difference. SQ is a business. The best way to make them take notice is to do so with your pocketbooks, ie fly another airline.
              Last edited by benlee; 18 November 2011, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by benlee View Post
                The best way to make them take notice is to do so with your pocketbooks, ie fly another airline.
                one or two individual not buying sq tickets isn't going to make a difference. It has to be enmass, ie, those corporate accounts.

Comment

I also like the 77W F.
                  Good to know I'm not the only one.

In fact, I prefer this over the suites.
                  +1

Comment

I have to add to the comments re SQ staff made by Inflight Sup and Cashsuds. In my recent flight from IST to SIN where my flight was cancelled due to a fault on part of the wing flap, I can state categorically that the experience would've been so much worse, if not for the courteous ground staff there who did their level best and apologised profusely for the problem. They helped make a really bad outcome as pleasant as possible.

The hardware unfortunately, as evident in the cancelled flight, is old and tired.

When I arrived home, the usual annual gifts from SQ were in the mailbox - a desk calendar and a diary. Where is their imagination!? In the era of iPhones and iPads, who uses these anymore? Why waste money printing them - please give me something I can use! I can understand cost management - I'm in business myself - but if one uses ones' creativity there are many things one can come up with at the same cost.

SQ has relied on the same tired formula over the years. Unlike other more creative airlines, they have unfortunately stood still, perhaps too lazy and risk adversed to change and evolve and remained more or less a retro-feel airline with the same tired old frills. The focus perhaps have been to be "the world's most profitable airline" by squeezing costs - but even that is not true anymore.

The SQ brand name and software is still strong and there will be no en mass movement away from it. It will be a slow, gradual move away from those of us who have experienced better value on other carriers. They are already seeing their profits slip but they are pointing it to fuel costs as the main cause - what about the 1.9% drop in load factor? Pax growth was only 3.3%; all these imho points to a lost of market share when one looks at Changi's, SQ's hub, growth of 11.2% year-to-Sep in passenger count.

Let's see what the second half brings in terms of numbers. We may rant all we want, but decisions at the top are driven by numbers and vision ... I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                      Cx may lacked in some areas like outdated planes, but do remember that SQ also still has antiqued planes flying around. Try flying on one of SQ's old B772s with no AVOD to MNL and you will know what I mean. Also, CX might not match up to SQ in cabin service, but they are still among the best and is rather consistent. Their new IFE on the long haul planes are also comparable to SQ. But one thing that CX really excels in is retaining customer loyalty. their frequent flyers have so much more perks than SQ's which translate to more flights on CX and higher revenue! Just look at CX's profits! They must be doing something very right.
                      Wow I really do not know there is B772 with no AVOD. I though B772 is only exist in 1996 onward which IFE is already a norm for Y class? May be I am wrong.

I know my comparison may not be that fair as SIN-TPE consider as medium haul right? as SIN/BKK-HKG is more on short haul.

On the perk of customer loyalty, yes I can't agree more. Even for normal Green MP, you can check in at special counter right? not to mention lounge access for MP Silver
                      visit my blog

Comment

Didn't have much time to raise all my points the other day. Here's part deux.

It's about time that SQ management revisits the plan of absorbing MI instead of running 2 separate carriers. I'm sure there are elements within SQ opposing to this move but it's about time they climb out of their wells and actually see how the aviation landscape has changed. I'm not sure how much longer they can use the regional short-haul leisure arm moniker considering that MI is supplementing SQ to several destinations. Moreover the lack of PTVs on the A319/320s is a bit of a let down considering that MI does fly more than 3 hours on several sectors and this is certainly medium-haul. The vibe I get is the inculcated culture within SQ - management, tech crew & cabin crew - looks down on MI. MI's purpose has changed since its formative years and it's been running as "SQ Connection" in the recent years judging by the number of codeshares with SQ. The twin aisles only mentality needs to go as well, the 757s have been long gone for more than 20 years, public perception toward single aisles have changed since then. There's no need for 2 separate brands with the same mission.

SQ unfortunately has been hopelessly slow to react to the changes in the regional aviation landscape in the past 2 years. SIN has seen so much growth in pax traffic while SQ hasn't been making much gains and has just been coasting along. The SQ group could have better benefitted from TR's existance but under CCS, TR was neglected to a point of oblivion. TD was given such a free hand at running circles around SQ with TR that his own gang of merry cronies brought in from BMI Baby. Until TT was grounded, SQ really had no idea what was happening. SQ only got news of the grounding via the media! SQ went into damage control mode after shit hit the roof. TD has been told to sod off. Pillay got brought in as Chairman and the ex-CEO of MI CYS got appointed as CEO. All this could have been prevented had SQ played a bigger role much earlier.

There's a some disdain for the Scoot concept on SQTalk but Scoot will play a major role in SQ's quest in regaining market share. SQ has clearly seen how successful D7 and JQ have been. I won't be surprised if JQ8 is stealing pax from SQ227 to the point where SQ is willing to yank the 388 and replace it with a 73R/77W (Sorry Melbournites ). While Scoot will be a subsidiary of SQ like how JQ is a subsidiary of QF, I'm won't be surprised if both airlines work in tandem on certain routes. I suppose fringe routes - ATH/FCO/CPH - could be served by both brands (similar to how QF & JQ serve HNL to give a 7x). Abandoned SQ stations will also probably be resurrected by Scoot. Scoot can also be used to develop markets to a point where SQ can enter and takeover.

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                        Nick C, regarding the under ordering of 77Ws, things could have been worse. SQ could have done a QF
                        More antiquated 747s instead of 77Ws? No way!
                        Last edited by Nick C; 19 November 2011, 10:30 AM.

Comment

The cost cuttings (no table cloth on short and some medium haul regional routes, no F/J ticket jackets, closure of SKL F lounges at some stations, food quality/amount reduction, etc.) contribute greatly to SQ 'losing the specialness' from before. I am sure some of them are necessary, but I feel some are overly done. With each cost-cutting, the closer they become to 'the rest of them out there'.
                          Agree with that. What has changed pre 2005?. The ability to encourage ideas, make decisions based on a variety of factors ( cost is only one ) and take bold steps.
                          The minds set & group think that cost is the ONLY thing that matters will drive any business down below ground.

The linen cloth may be costly to maintain ( laundry & ironing, starch etc )
                          but it makes a distinct difference to dinning. Allowing creative altenatives to maintain this would help. Ask the people who are serving. They may have a better idea than executives with MBAs and upper 1st class honours... in engineering ( of all things)

The decline has begun and I suspect its caused by groupthink, demotivating actions and the umbrella of costs. Collect the ideas.. match it with expectations. Then, consider the costs.

Ultimately, its really up to them to adopt the business strategies, but I would suggest that they have a cold hard look at their management process.There are people who are far more concerned about staying employed then to participate and own the excellence... qualities that prevailed before.

Comment

I also like the 77W F. In fact, I prefer this over the suites. It's the only airplane flat seat that I can actually get some sleep on.
                            You should give other airlines a try: Lufthansa has a real bed on it's refurbished 747 fleet (you get a seat and a bed). They also have a way better seat/bed combination on their A380 that flies SIN-FRA. ANA flies the very same 77W and the seat/bed is ways better than SQ. I am not a fan of the 77W bed on SQ - yes, it's better than J on SQ (and it would be very surprising if not) but in comparison to main competitors, the products is suboptimal. SQ needs to rethink this.

I have not requalified for PPS but I am a HON Circle and and a QF Platinum. In January, I will be back to BA Gold. I can't think of any stronger vote.

Cabin Crew is still the best feature of SQ. Flown SIN-TPE a couple of days back and had one of the best services in the last 12 months despite just being a lowly *G... :-)

Comment

Occasionally Revisit

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                              I just wanted to make the observation that Singapore Airlines, a company close to my heart in many ways, has quite frankly lost it's mojo.

Love them or hate them, EK and their Middle Eastern brethren are upping the stakes with new aircraft, new routes, and new customers. They may certainly fail, but at least they have a vision and a plan.

What does SQ have? SQ is now being run by a bunch of cost-conscious, risk-adverse Singaporean technocrats to whom Vision and Strategy were subjects they once scored A's in their Ivy League MBA classrooms.

This once-iconic industry leader has acquired a core of uninspired mediocrity. The short list over the past few years:

- Living off the Singapore Girl and her sarong kebaya;

- Destroying the PPS loyalty base in the name of cost savings;

- Comfortably milking the cash-cow routes - China, India, Europe - and minimal route expansion or aggressive fleet buys;

- Totally incoherent, fragmented and poorly executed stabs at perceived market segments - SQ, SilkAir, Tiger(!), Scooooot(!!);

- Total hubris, followed by indecision and quiet dilution of the "Class Beyond First";

- And finally, of course, there's that website - merely the public face and major sales channel of a 21st century enterprise. What happened? Amateurish, incompetent execution that, in a real company with real accountability, would have gotten the CEO and/or every senior manager directly responsible tossed out on the street.

I'm not an industry expert, and no doubt I've got some bits wrong. But I do run a business and it's clear as daylight that this company is totally lacking in Leadership, Accountability, Ideas, and even a basic clue about the Future!

I hope, with genuine sincerity, that the powers-that-be in Singapore Inc. and Temasek Holdings wake up to this fast and find this company proper leadership before it's too late.
                              I do, just occasionally, revisit this board and noticed this post. Having been consistently abused by the SQ shills over the years and finally moved on, I do now find myself agreeing, finally, with this poster. I'm long gone from PPS with no regrets, enjoying EK/QR/EH/CX/TG and it is nice to see that others are FINALLY understanding the equation.
                              Last edited by flymeroundthemoon; 20 November 2011, 04:32 PM.
                              Round the Moon. And Back

Comment

PPS

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                                Why SQ has lost its mojo...

SQ used to be the front-runner, the company setting the standards. They were the ones getting it all right.

First is no more First. With the introduction of the 'new' First on the 77W, SQ was taking away space from First Class customers and writing some marketing non-sense about the widest seat in the industry. Pathetic! None of the details they got right: I have to deal with intrusions either in the front or back, I have no space for my carry-on and have to give up my legroom to stow it, the TV is glossy and ways too close, the bench is uncomfortable for lounging and the bed forces me to sleep diagonal. This was the most disappointing launch of any First Class in recent history, shame on SQ and the people who have approved and implemented this sad offering. Looking at the refurbished 773 it's even more saddening: instead of improving the space they leave open space wasted in front and the back of the two rows of First. If you need any proof, that SQ has lost its mojo have a look at this cabin. It's so sad that I couldn't help but laugh the first time I saw it.

The Class Beyond. SQ's biggest mistake ever. Again, too many design flaws. The bed too narrow, the mattress not soft enough, the TV misaligned for those who are seated and the actual seat pretty worn out after only little time in service. Marketing a disaster. With no added end-to-end services, the same food and drinks as in First Class they finally added F and P as booking classes to Suites. Not sure why A and redemptions are still frowned upon.

PPS: Cutting all benefits makes PPS unattractive unless you had reached Solitaire before the culling. New residents coming to Singapore find the program ridiculous - it's cheaper to maintain Gold status in StarAlliance and OneWorld then ever getting to Solitaire. On many flights, StarAlliance partners get Saver Awards for their members in Y and J while SQ is putting you on a waitlist at best. Standard Awards for twice the price are pathetic if commercial fares are the same as for any other J product and with the D fares that SQ lately launched to win some customers back, redeeming miles is more expensive than paying for the fare.
                                Actually, that's not correct. Even PPS Solitaire before the "Culling" didn't help. I had PPS Solitaire status with only 23 sectors (From the 1000 qualifying total) to achive Life Membership and was still told to F**k Off. So I did. I will resent this total abuse forever and will always advise anyone who will listen to avoid SQ at all costs.
                                Round the Moon. And Back

Comment

Working...
                                X