• Show
Clear All

i fly in the pointy end of the aircraft

Comment

When our powers combine...... *Captain Planet theme song*

sorry, couldn't resist...

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        Isn't the advantage of work related travel not that it's glamorous but that you can accumulate at no cost to you miles/status for your leisure travel ?
        It is for me, but it often isn't so in the perceptions of people who don't have much work-related travel ... oh, like my dad. For those whose work travel consists of high-frequency shorthauls, which company or client policies dictate have to be made in the cheapest economy class if possible, such travel doesn't even contribute that much, if at all, to status or miles. Finally, as Lobster mentioned, if the travel happens frequently enough, the opportunity cost soon becomes significant: for example, you don't have much chance to socialize with friends in the middle of the week, and you might have to spend most weekends just catching up on life admin like errands.
        Originally posted by FlyingDan View Post
        Exactly what I want - I don't intend do go sightseeing on business trips . But yeah, I think I know what you guys mean. My father complains about the same thing .
        I suspect your dad, like me, tires of seeing the same road from the airport to the same hotel for months on end.

As long as you have a realistic view of the realities of business-related travel and then find the fun aspects that turn the experience into adventures, you'll do fine.
        Last edited by jjpb3; 29 July 2010, 03:38 PM.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Marketing and Business Development for a tech company.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Broadly speaking..... Farmer

Comment

Originally posted by KC* View Post
              Not too late. You can study medicine as a postgrad course in Singapore now. I know a few people who took the switch. Very tough - but possible.
              I didn't know that is possible in SG! I should do my research on this topic. Any sponsors?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingDan View Post
                Just wondering what you guys/gals do for a living?
                It depends on the time of day really
                Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                  It is for me, but it often isn't so in the perceptions of people who don't have much work-related travel ... oh, like my dad. For those whose work travel consists of high-frequency shorthauls, which company or client policies dictate have to be made in the cheapest possible economy class if possible, such travel don't even contribute that much, if at all, to status or miles. Finally, as Lobster mentioned, if the travel happens frequently enough, the opportunity cost soon becomes significant: for example, you don't have much chance to socialize with friends in the middle of the week, and you might have to spend most weekends just catching up on life admin like errands.

I suspect your dad, like me, tires of seeing the same road from the airport to the same hotel for months on end.

As long as you have a realistic view of the realities of business-related travel and then find the fun aspects that turn the experience into adventures, you'll do fine.
                  Thanks, you make an awful lot of sense .

Regarding my dad: yeah, exactly that. There was a time he would fly into LHR (short hop) on Monday, stay through Thursday/Friday, before hopping back to LHR the next Monday.. Same schedule for weeks .

Comment

Year 12. AHHHHH!!!!

Comment

I teach teenagers in a local school. Its a very challenging job.

Comment

I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none, such is the life of a hotelier

Comment

I'm an investment banker ... though to be honest, I'm not liking it that much

Comment

Tech industry.... fly 2-3 times a year...

Comment

Lion tamer, courgette farmer and pumpkin carver. I bear many scars from the first and last on the list, whilst the latter two are seasonal and not very well paid with no opportunity for travel

Whilst the above are true, my other occupation is in Science/Engineering (healthcare/biomaterials/engineering materials/food processing), spanning research, product development, production, quality, sales & marketing, health and safety, customer support,...oh and I sweep and mop the floors and empty the bins too. Overworked and underpaid. No real opportunity for travel on this one either at the moment.
                              Last edited by nickbot; 30 July 2010, 09:10 PM.

Comment

I'm working as an analyst in an asset management consulting firm on a part time basis. The other half of my time is being spent at a university in Brisbane studying MSc (financial mathematics). My ultimate goal is to get a position at the largest investment company in Singapore.

I don't do travelling for business purpose. I'm kinda glad that I don't travel for business in this company I'm working for because the places my colleagues go to are Australian outback towns requiring travelling on Qantaslink DASH8 !! (Not complaining about airplanes, but complaining about the places these planes visit, for instance, Port Hedland).

Comment

Working...
                                X