Your Opinions on ASUS laptops? [WARNING: other brands mentioned too ;)]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Opinions on ASUS laptops? [WARNING: other brands mentioned too ;)]

Hey all, I'm searching for a new laptop seeing as my Dell is dying and the service is only getting worse (technician didn't turn up to an appointment made a week prior), and I'm very impressed with ASUS at the moment. I'm thinking about the G1 model, but I'd like to know more about ASUS' build quality, after-sales service and warranty etc. Anyone out there got any thoughts, comments or opinions on them?

We bought an Asus after a dodgy Dell and we are generally very happy with it. It has gone into service once and that was handled efficiently and professionally (quite unusual).

I have dropped the laptop (while on) on a few occasions (please don't tell my husband!!), the cats both regularly sit on it (including our older puss who is getting erm, a little chubby) and I've spilt coke on it and it is still going apart from the usual Microsoft blue screen of death every now and again.

I'm really not that clumsy..well ok maybe I am. I'm ill and I have nerve problems so I'm frequently in some weird contorted arrangement on the couch with the laptop, cat and kitten balancing precariously on my lap.

I dont have any particular knowledge of the G1 but for Asus generally I think they're pretty good.

Comment

I had an ASUS notebook right before I switched over to Mac. I mainly switched over because Windows problems were too time-consuming for me and always tweaking around was rather annoying.

I am not satisfied with the ASUS product as the support is really, really had. I phoned them several times and they were never really able to help me at all with my problems. The notebooks themselves seem to be middle class among Windows notebooks; I'd personally opt for a HP or Lenovo/IBM as you get better support and better material value for your money as they seem to endure much more. The build quality of my notebook (Z9200 or something like that) was really poor.

As I wanted to give Linux a go, there were only problems as well: sound output only out of one speaker! etc! And when a Linux user suggested me to hardcode (!) a driver myself I thought about who I am and what I want to do with my notebook. I want it to work and not to code drivers!

Yeah ... so my opinion is: ASUS has okay value for you money. I'd opt for a HP or Lenovo/IBM notebook, though. And if you're considering switching to Apple, you might as well just give it a try. I'm no Apple fanboy but I have not had a single problem on my MacbookPro till now.
      Home is where your heart is.

Comment

I recommend Fujitsu Lifebook.....loving it...

Comment

my sister has a lifebook, it's a good computer but under-specced for what I want to do, HP is tempting but a bit pricey, and I had bad issues with a compaq (which is now the same company), the Mac is also underspecced as well if I'm running windows on it, not to mention I really, really hate their keyboards. Florian, were your support problems in Melbourne or Vienna?

Comment

in Vienna. But I also had them when I was in Frankfurt. Please do check where your ASUS support centre is. The European one seems to be in the Netherlands and it was always a hassle speaking with them because sending the thingie in took about two months (!) ... not too good if you want to rely on your hardware.

Comment

I can't say too much about Asus, but I have to warn you against Dell&HP. Dell in my experience often fails to deliver the needed drivers with the product+ their service isn't all that good (for example they never really fixed a usb problem which occured 2 month after my parents bought their computer from Dell, and a friend of mine had to buy a new soundcard because they refused to send him the drivers for the original one).

HP... I'd NEVER buy ANY hardware from them again. While the prices often are modest they'll only use the cheapest equipment to complete your laptop/pc. I mean, It's easy to buy a new keyboard/mouse/probably even soundcard, but I've now seen several pcs and laptops made by them that had no sufficient cooling devices. On desktop computers you'll still be able to fix this (if you discover the prob early enough), but on a laptop you've got a real problem.

My father just bought an Acer. I can't say anything about the service qualities, but at least the hardware/software seems to be adequate for the price paid...
              Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Agree with you totally on Dell, one "technician" (I use the term loosely) fixed a broken panel but wrecked my Windows XP so I now have to re-install it, I made an appointment for another technician to carry out the re-installation a week prior, and he didn't turn up! and there wasn't any contact until he had the nerve to call at 8AM the next day and didn't apologise for not turning up, and then proceeded to try and arrange the service for that day, which was unsuitable as was the whole week which was why I had to make the appointment a week prior in the first place!

Comment

Can't say I recommend them either. While I don't have any experience with their notebooks, my company had all sorts of issues with their desktop motherboards. These are manufactured up to about 2004, the newer stuff and/or notebooks may be a different story though..

I'd recommend a Sony VAIO. Great build quality and stability, and the one time I've had any sort of problem (involving a smashed screen ), the service has been great.

Comment

with further thought I've decided to get a desktop that I'm going to build myself, though it will still probably have an ASUS graphics card... my friend also had a problem with a smashed screen with his VAIO, it was going to cost an astronomical amount to fix so he just got a new laptop

Comment

Love my Sony (the super small one). I think it beats the MacAir because with the DVD drive, it's still lighter...albeit the smaller screen...

Getting the Mac Pro for my office. Yes, the big boy with 10 Gigs of RAM...
                      HUGE AL

Comment

something i have to add: the macbook air is awesome as hell. a friend of mine bought it and it outclasses my macbook pro by far. i'd never get one though as i'm an eager newspaper reader and i'm afraid i'd throw it out with the old papers as it is so thin and light.

i have heard bad stuff about sony: a friend of mine (petz, who should be registering here any sec) has one and after your warranty is over, they overcharge you like hell for tiny repair works. not funny at all.

Comment

Another vote for Vaio - I love mine (I have three and use all of them on a regular basis). However, I've never had to rely on anyone other than my own personal "tech support central" so I have no experience with their warranty, repair service and/or customer service (post-sale). FWIW, I've had minimal need for any level of tech support on any of the three; we replaced the hard drive on my first one (R505) after about four years (so I could have an extra laptop rather than just tossing or retiring it when I bought a new one) and that's all that has needed to be done to any of them (I also have an SZ and a TX) in the six years since I bought my first Vaio.

I haven't had any experience with Asus myself, but a good friend had an S6 and liked it very well, although I'm fairly certain he never had to deal with them on support issues.

As for a notebook that could "take a beating," the ThinkPads I had for work held up pretty well. Of the four I had, one was a bit of a lemon (although I suspect it was a re-imaging problem), but the x41 I had was great.
                          Last edited by cawhite; 20 March 2008, 08:31 AM.

Comment

I'm another VIAO fan. We selected them for work in the end as even though they are more expensive overall we found them the most cost effective option. Over the last 7 years we have used VIAOs we have had very few problems. Repairs under warrenty are carried out quickly and effectively. With VIAO we have an average lifespan of 4 years with the previous laptops we used it was under 2 years.

Comment

I also vouch for Vaio. Bought mine in Sony shop in Melbourne Central. I have been using it for almost 2 years and hasn't had any problems with it so far. The only thing that annoy me is the bloatware, but you can always uninstall them. My previous laptop was a macbook and it was just as good.

Greatfox, if you think of buying in MEL, please do some research about the shops. Some sell it for cheap price but the after sales service is really bad. So do shop around...

My housemate actually has an Asus and I do think it's quite decent. He had few problems with the laptop at the beginning but it was eventually resolved after a quick trip to the service centre.

Comment

Working...
                              X