SQ F Simply Fantastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ F Simply Fantastic

Here is the first installment of my trip report (SBA-SFO-ICN-SIN-DPS) on SQ in F

Note: Photos to be added later

I checked in online (United) for my flight, but was unable to print a BP for my SQ flights. Got a notice to see an agent. At SBA airport, they could not issue the BP either. Seems odd since 1) its Star Alliance and 2) the ticket was booked by UA. Anyway, no drama, smooth flight to SFO. I stopped in at the SKL and they were able to issue the red BP and the first class ticket envelope. The F side of the lounge is understandably small (roughly the size of a 3 or 4 car garage). It has a nice view of the ramp area and is bright and airy. I checked out the buffet that consisted of a few pastries, some canapés (see photo), fruit and noodle cups. At about 11am, they brought out the dim sum, but it would be about another 30 minutes before it was hot. Food on offer was underwhelming. Did not matter though because the food on the flight would make up for it.

For research purposes, I went down the hall to the UA IFL. As you may recall, CGK and DeltaFlyingProfessor had a run in with an agent there who refused them entry and actually called security a couple of months ago. Well, I was armed with my boarding card as well as a copy of the rules that I had printed off the Star Alliance website. The woman who greeted me at first started to tell me that the SKL is down the hall and that was the proper lounge. As I started to speak up, the other woman told her that F pax on SQ could use the UA IFL. The first woman was very puzzled by this, and I assured her that there were many of her coworkers who did not know that rule. Now that I was in, the question on my mind was how did these two lounges compare. I had been to the IFL before, and it is a very nice set up. High ceilings, well furnished, lots of light, etc. It’s really pretty classy. Most people complain that it has just the standard food options. Actually the food on offer was much more extensive than the SKL. UA had a "mini" salad bar as well as fruits, pastries, yakitori chicken (cold), California rolls, a couple of cold salads (pasta and rice salad), cheeses, smoked salmon as well as lentil soup. I think this is a significant upgrade from what I remember when I was there about a year ago.

So, bottom line on lounges, other than the free wireless at the SKL, the UA IFL is better.

Although the SKL had about 8 pax in it, I noted that I was the only person that was informed of our gate change. The attendant approached me telling me we had been moved to gate 91. It was then that I began to wonder how many passengers would be in first class. As I recall PPS members I guess can use the F side of the lounge, and I suppose its possible that some of the pax were UA customers. Could it be that none of these pax were to join me on the flight?

Upon entering the aircraft I was struck immediately by how wide those F suites are. Seriously, they are just as wide as they appear in the advertising. It feels more like a couch than an easy chair (this is good and bad). I was immediately offered a drink (Dom was my choice) newspapers and magazines were offered next. As I sipped my second glass of champagne I finally asked if any other pax were expected. Being that F service is new on this route (previously just two-cabin service on SQ 15) it seems that the public has not yet caught on. So, yes, I was the only pax in the front cabin. Nice.

With a bit of a buzz on from the champagne (yes I am a lightweight), I slipped on the headphones as we taxied towards our runway. I clicked onto channel 9 (Adrenaline) with its thumping Euro hypnotic tunes mellowing me out. Okay, actually it felt like I was in Ibiza (minus the foam party!), but the effect was nice as we took a nice banked turn with a great view of the Golden Gate. Okay, if you do not get the Ibiza reference, ask KeithMel, or LukeGT as I am sure they must have been there and done that.

As the crew sprung back into service my champagne returned, although I seem to recall that they used to serve warm nuts with the initial round of drinks (cost cutting?). In any case, my drink was quickly followed with a selection of chicken and beef satay (chicken was more moist). The view up the northern California coast was beautiful as I settled in for the feast. For lunch, I chose to have both appetizers (details to follow), skipped the soup and salad (how much can one person eat?), my BTC Jumbo Scallops, and then what ever else I could fit in. Being the only person in F, the caviar serving was enormous. The photo is after I had two bites, and this was followed by a second serving as large as the first. The IFS informed me that the can is usually served (a tablespoon or so each) to all eight pax. Given that the product does not keep, I was more than happy to solve the dilemma for the crew! Ordinarily, the caviar is accompanied on the same plate (apparently) with some nice hunks of smoked salmon. Mine was served separately as there was no room on the plate for anything but the caviar and condiments. This was followed by the second appetizer (maybe I should say fourth, two caviar, one salmon and now the lobster?) which was a lobster tail with an avocado salsa. The entrée (Jumbo Scallops) was beautifully presented. However, the scallops were obviously overcooked and when I tasted them they were dry (very dry…almost jerky like). The IFS could see from looking at it that it did not look right and quickly came back to check if everything was okay. He replaced my lunch with the Halibut that was excellent.

It’s the little things on SQ that make the difference. I had a moment while I was standing in the aisle of the Raffles cabin before departure and one of the attendants was organizing the magazines. She looked up and showed me a copy of Sports Illustrated asking if I would like to take it to my seat. To be honest, I could not care less about the magazine, but I was charmed and gladly accepted.  I have seen people ask (here or on FT) about “chatting up” the crew, and personally, I see that no special effort is required. They are naturally chatty, especially when they have the time on such a lightly booked flight (1 in F and 21 out of 42 in J). The charm and sophistication of the crew always seems so natural to me. It seems impossible to train such attributes.

After a short break for digestion my desert arrived. The Leading Stewardess apologized as the ice cream was very soft. None the less its flavor was wonderful as was the crème brulee. Although I love cheese, especially with a nice port, my stomach said otherwise. So I moved on to a nice cup of Jamaican Blue Coffee (advertised as the Champagne of coffee) and 4 or so (who’s counting?) pralines “to end on a sweet note”. I must say, however, that the pralines “to end on a sweet note” were not mentioned on the menu. Perhaps these are being phased out. 

A second round of hot towles was offered along with a bottle of water in preparation for nap time. I asked the FA to set up the bed in 1F (I was sitting in 2F) so I could move there when I was ready.

Seriously, I am beginning to feel like royalty on this flight. Its’ crazy.

Consumption so far:

1 Bottle Dom Perignon
    Caviar for 8 persons
    1 Lobster tail
    1 Halibut Filet
    Enough Desert for a whole meal
    Two cups Jamaican Blue Coffee
    4 or so (!) pralines.

Now I am informed of the mid flight snacks as well as the fact that another meal will be served one hour prior to alanding. Ugh….I have eaten enough for a week!

So, I have this whole cabin to myself. 1F is my bed, 2F is my dining room, 1C is my place for light snacks and my office. Something is missing. Oh yes, no home is complete without a library. 2C is the library. NO Mr. CGK, the rest of the cabin is not for dot dot dot!

So, after being in bed for an hour or so I realize that its simply too early to sleep (only 6pm California time) so I get up and step into the galley and ask if I may have that cheese course that I skipped earlier. Not that I am hungry mind you, but I do love chese with a nice glass of port. In true SQ fashion, this simple request is preceeded by a hot towel, fresh linen in my dining room, followed by a generous serving of each of the cheeses.

Knowing that I have had a stressful few months (from our earlier conversation), the IFS suggests that after the cheese I have a hot chamomile tea with honey to relax. It was perfect. He then returned with an ice cream sandwhich. Okay stop!

continued below....

Some of you may remember my last report….long time ago on FT. On that trip I had asked the FA for some lip balm. They did not have the amenity kits on the flight (SQ12 Sin-Nrt) so a kiss was offered to moisten my lips. Well, I don’t know what it is with this airline, but this time (and I don’t remember the context as I was blushing so much and/or drunk) but I was offered the “kiss of life”. No wonder Singapore Airlines is “a great way to fly”.

Here is a little survey that you can respond to if you like. You need not have flown in first class to have an opinion on most of these….

F Class Survey:

Dom or Krug?
    Caviar or Lobster?
    BVLGARI or Ferigamo?
    Sky Suite or 77W First Class
    Jamaican Blue Coffee or Brazil Santos Bourbon Coffee
    Silver Kris Sling or Cloud Nine
    Channel 7 (Chill Out) or Channel 9 (Adrenalin)? Okay you can choose something else….
    “warm” nuts?
    (invisible mode “on” so only CGK can see this)
    dot dot dot. Or dot dot dot?
    (invisible mode “off”)
    Dessert or Cheese Course (or both!)

As the hours slipped by I wrote a few letters to friends and then was joined by one of the FA’s who sat in the seat next to my “office”. We chatted for about an hour then it was time for a shift change as the crew that had been sleeping in the crew quarters came back into service.

I skipped the second meal service even though I had ordered the seafood soup. I simply could not eat any more. Besides, I still had a full dinner to look forward on the second leg of the flight from ICN to SIN. I ordered an iced mint tea instead, and decided to check out the rest of the aircraft. Let’s just say that first class is pretty darn nice! Besides, since I had the whole cabin to myself I was enjoying the beautiful view of siberia while everyone else was stuck in darkness. Note to self, no need to go south of row 2. Later, I had a second tea and decided to try the dessert (a lemon panne cotta that was delicious).

The view on this portion of the flight was beautiful looking over a snow covered Siberia. With all the windows open, the cabin was full of light and it seemed so much nicer that the darkness of the rear cabins. I snapped a few pics of the view and watched our progress on the map. Suddenly we made a very signifcant turn to the left. As I looked at the map we were just about to enter Chinese airspace. I guess we did not have clearance into China.

Before landing I was offered a couple of sets of playing cards as well as a personal note wishing me a pleasant journey. Does it get better than this?

Hot Towel Count

Upon embarkation
    Before Lunch
    After Lunch
    Before Cheese Course
    After Cheese Course
    Before Dessert (the only course I had of the light meal)
    After the Dessert
    Prior to landing.

ICN to SIN and beyond coming later…..

Comment

Peter nice report so far. Wow one person in F you must have enjoyed it

I guess CGK will chime in later with his 8 seat dot dot dot story.

What was the registration of the aircraft? Can't wait to see 8 people worth of caviar

Dom or Krug? They serve both
      Caviar or Lobster? Caviar is only on long haul. Lobster is for BTC
      BVLGARI or Ferigamo? BVLGAR is the old kits Ferragamo is the new sets
      Sky Suite or 77W First Class SkySuite is much better for relaxing. 77W is much better for sleep
      Jamaican Blue Coffee or Brazil Santos Bourbon Coffee I don't drink coffee
      Silver Kris Sling or Cloud Nine Sing SLING!
      Channel 7 (Chill Out) or Channel 9 (Adrenalin)? Okay you can choose something else….
      “warm” nuts?
      (invisible mode “on” so only CGK can see this)
      dot dot dot. Or dot dot dot?
      (invisible mode “off”)
      Dessert or Cheese Course (or both!)
      Last edited by fumitani; 16 February 2007, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Alas ive yet to visit Ibiza - but Ive certainly participated in Ibiza-esque events.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Wow.. lucky you. I have to admit I was jealous reading your TR.
          Congratulations for being the first to report solo F experience on the 77W!

Great report so far, Peter11. Hoping for more to come soon.

Edited to add:
          Hopefully loads are not always this low. I would hate to see this flight being switched back to B772ER.
          I am scheduled to fly the same flight in F in June.
          Last edited by StarG; 17 February 2007, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter11 View Post
            NO Mr. CGK, the rest of the cabin is not for dot dot dot!
            I will check with the cabin crew. I believe 1A 1C 2A and 2C were indeed reserved for your dot dot dot activities.

Originally posted by fumitani View Post
            I guess CGK will chime in later with his 8 seat dot dot dot story.

What was the registration of the aircraft?
            I am on sabbatical from the university of dot dot dot.
            The registration was single white female, or precisely as 9V-SWF.

Note: The reason I know, because I was in Y. Peter11 doesn't want to admit the fact that he did not send any Dom nor Krug to me. But he kindly visited me at the back of the plane.

Comment

Hey do not underestimate the power of CGK when it comes to SQ! Somehow he has guested me into the SKL F (I am flying J to DPS) and yet he is no where to be found. I can only imagine where he has disappeared to! Actually, knowing him, he got bored last night and flew to Paris!

Anyway Mr. CGK you better make yourself visible pretty soon, because I am on my second bowl of Laksa!

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                Wow.. lucky you. I have to admit I was jealous reading your TR.
                Congratulations for being the first to report solo F experience on the 77W!

Great report so far, Peter11. Hoping for more to come soon.

Edited to add:
                Hopefully loads are not always this low. I would hate to see this flight being switched back to B772ER.
                I am scheduled to fly the same flight in F in June.
                Yes, I hope they manage to start filling the plane too. My experience was probably a one time occurance for me. I dont think any flight can match the experience I had on that one.

I'll write a report soon, but the next leg was from ICN to SIN. CGK met me at the ICN SKL and contrary to what he says, we were both in F. He was drunk, I slept! Was a nice flight having some company, but again, the service levels were bound to disappoint after the SFO to ICN sector.

Comment

Peter, you obviously got a great flight! I am happy to hear. I've had SQ F for 2 out of 12 but not for 1 out of 8 yet! I Would love to experience that!

Comment

Originally posted by fumitani View Post
                    Caviar or Lobster? Caviar is only on long haul. Lobster is for BTC
                    Caviar AND lobster are bot offered as appetizers for long haul flights.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter11 View Post
                      Anyway Mr. CGK you better make yourself visible pretty soon, because I am on my second bowl of Laksa!
                      Even more jealous now... haven't been lucky enough to get my SKL Laksa since ... way too long already.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFlyingProf View Post
                        Caviar AND lobster are bot offered as appetizers for long haul flights.
                        For lobster, yes on some long haul flights but not all. On some of my SIN-Europe flights, we had a choice of Caviar or Abalone salad and at other times we had Caviar or Foie Gras as the two choices of appetizers.
                        My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

WOW I am very jealous I really need to find some way to get another SQ flight soon

Comment

hahah the only person in the new first class. Bet you felt like p-diddy or some celebrity huh?

Comment

Notes

Some notes:

- Peter11 has left for DPS. I personally made sure he got into the Gate F31. Well, we did have a glass of Dom for our breakfast at SKL.

- For caviar serving, now SQ has two different approach.

With a very limited sample (which means I don't fly enough SQ F this year), the usual caviar service can be found in the 744 aircraft like the prior service, i.e. caviar only with its condiments and another choice of appetiser. In this case, the caviar served is pretty generous, i.e a lot. As an example in January menu I had on SQ325, yes, I know it was a big serving.

SQ325

dinner FROM FRANKFURT TO SINGAPORE

Appetisers
                              Chilled malossol caviar
                              With melba toast and condiments

Marinated lobster and celeriac apple remoulade garnished with assorted tomatoes and mesclun

But then, now in this 77W new F, the appetiser for caviar, is not caviar only, but caviar and tuna, caviar and salmon - without any usual garnishes/condiments like eggs, onions, etc.
                              The serving is very very tiny. Sorry SQ! I must say it's very pathetic when I got it last night on SQ15 ICN-SIN. Even the LSS admitted that she saw that the serving of caviar with my tuna is very tiny.
                              Look at the appetisers for SQ15 and SQ16 below.

SQ15

lunch FROM SAN FRANCISCO TO SEOUL

APPETISERS
                              Malossol caviar with smoked salmon and mesclun

Mild spicy red lobster with avocado salsa, little ges lettuces and citrus vinaigrette

dinner FROM SEOUL TO SINGAPORE

APPETISERS
                              Malossol caviar with smoked salmon and cucumber salad

Lobster salad with red beet, quail egg and ginger
                              SQ16

lunch FROM SINGAPORE TO SEOUL

APPETISERS

Crab and ginger salad with baby gem, lemon confit and fennel shavings

dinner FROM SEOUL TO SAN FRANCISCO

APPETISERS
                              Cheese fondue with crabcraw, asparagus, stuffed pepper and garlic crostini

Once peter11 uploaded his caviar pictures, hope you know what I mean. Peter11 was showered with caviar. Thus, don't expect when you fly SQ you will get the same serving as peter11 got.
                              Once I can do resizing in my pics, I can upload how tiny the caviar served on my plate with three pieces of seared tuna loin.

Comment

Working...
                              X