SIA's New A350 XWB: SQ337 DUS-SIN in Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what an excellent tr, yflyer. it makes me want to really try the sq a350

my only experience on an a350 so far has been on tg in their new business class seats with the over-the-shoulder and across-the-chest seatbelts (or should I call them harnesses)

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
      Breakfast was served 2+ hours prior to landing...

I chose the beef noodle selection, and was not disappointed.

This was a very tasty dish, with the noodles and beef slices still steaming hot, and none of the refrigerated/reheated taste that you sometimes get with airline food.
      I had the exact same meal on SQ327 yesterday and it was delicious!
      We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
        Yet another great TR. Thanks!
        Thanks, loldude333!

Originally posted by Hajimbo View Post
        Again! I love the Yflyer TR standards!
        Thanks for reading them, Hajimbo!

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
        Another fantastic TR.

The lengths you go to to show the seat width difference between an A350 and an A380 deserves applause!
        Thanks, 9V-JKL! Not planning to stop at just the A350 and A380

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
        As usual, fantastic TR, yflyer! Looks like you pre-planned the seat width comparison (I presume the A380 was on your outbound sector). Also, the first landing shot looks very well-timed, with the red strobe light on top of the aircraft flashing at that exact moment. This can be a tricky picture to take.

Looks like the DUS-SIN route is doing well.
        Thanks, SQGamespeed!

Yes, I took the A380 seat photo on my outbound sector on SQ26 SIN-FRA!

I took quite a few shots of the Singapore coastline as we were on our final approach. Some turned out well, some didn't. You never know how these night time iPhone pics will turn out so the only solution is to take many, many pictures and hope for the best!

Hard to tell what load factors are based on one flight, but least on that day (Dec 23) DUS-SIN in Y was completely full, and this was a surprise to some of the cabin crew too, considering how close to Christmas it was. It was mainly Germans / Caucasians that day. Given that there aren't that many direct flight to Asia from DUS, I think that route will do very well!

Originally posted by saobangpo View Post
        what an excellent tr, yflyer. it makes me want to really try the sq a350

my only experience on an a350 so far has been on tg in their new business class seats with the over-the-shoulder and across-the-chest seatbelts (or should I call them harnesses)
        Thanks, saobangpo!

Haven't tried the TG A350 yet, although I have seen the plane taking off from Changi when I was driving along the ECP...beautiful plane in almost any airline's livery...

Comment

An excellent TR and very detailed, yflyer! I'm impressed by some of your camera angles. Many thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
            I had the exact same meal on SQ327 yesterday and it was delicious!
            I wonder if there is a difference between the dish served on SQ327 out of Munich, and SQ337 from Dusseldorf. I would assume that SQ has engaged the same catering company at both locations, or even throughout Germany.

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            An excellent TR and very detailed, yflyer! I'm impressed by some of your camera angles. Many thanks!!
            Thanks, CarbonMan! All pics in the TR taken with an iPhone 6 Plus!

Comment

I wonder if there is a difference between the dish served on SQ327 out of Munich, and SQ337 from Dusseldorf. I would assume that SQ has engaged the same catering company at both locations, or even throughout Germany.
              I flew on Christmas Day. Except for the Chicken Breast (we had goose instead as a Xmas special), the menu for both Lunch and Breakfast was exactly the same.
              We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

A very well done TR, thanks yflyer for the great lengths you've gone to share your experience to us in much details. With such a TR, I feel like I've flown the flight myself. And eaten the food too. LOL.

I have two questions please:

1. SQ's 350s do not have tail cams? (Its 380s don't, so it will not be a surprise)

2. It's my first time to learn about the IN-PK border, being so visible at night. Where are the lights coming from? Cars? Or just spotlights? I did some googling but did not find any.

By the way, I appreciate how you appreciate SQ's inflight offerings such as the food, among other things.

I wish I can fly SQ's 350 soon. I've flown all of SQ's existing fleet but the 350. Imagine doing a SIN-JFK nonstop.

Comment

Originally posted by Ph Man View Post
                  I have two questions please:

1. SQ's 350s do not have tail cams? (Its 380s don't, so it will not be a surprise.
                  If i'm not wrong, tailcams come installed on all Airbus aircraft as part of the pilot monitoring system; its whether the airline also allows passengers to take advantage of the views.

Comment

Oh...I didn't know that. Thanks for the info loldude333.

Comment

A very well done TR, thanks yflyer for the great lengths you've gone to share your experience to us in much details. With such a TR, I feel like I've flown the flight myself. And eaten the food too. LOL.
                      Thanks, Ph Man! Glad you enjoyed reading it!

1. SQ's 350s do not have tail cams? (Its 380s don't, so it will not be a surprise)
                      Nope, for some reason SQ has not put camera views available on any version of their Krisworld IFE, although many other airlines do. The Finnair and Qatar A350's both have excellent high-def tail cams and belly cams, and Emirates also has camera views on their IFE.

2. It's my first time to learn about the IN-PK border, being so visible at night. Where are the lights coming from? Cars? Or just spotlights? I did some googling but did not find any.
                      It is security lighting at the border.

Not only is it visible from aircraft, it is visible from space!

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=86725

I wish I can fly SQ's 350 soon. I've flown all of SQ's existing fleet but the 350. Imagine doing a SIN-JFK nonstop.
                      Sounds like you travel a lot too! SQ are adding A350's to the fleet at a very rapid rate...it should get easier and easier to select routes where the A350 is flying.

I have very fond memories of SIN-EWR non-stop in exec economy on the A345. Also looking forward to SIN-JFK on the A350 ULR!

Comment

I did watch the map view closely as we approached the Pakistan-India border though. Regulars on SQTalk will know that one thing I try to do on Europe-Singapore flights is to look out of the window to spot the so-called Indian Line of Control (LoC), which is a fence along the much of the India-Pakistan border.
                        Learn something new everyday... Five years of flying between Singapore-Norway and seeing this all the time and never realised what it actually was!!
                        God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

^^Indeed. That's what we learn from being in a forum of informed people like you guys.

@yflyer, thanks for your responses. Appreciated. Perhaps SQ wants to maintain a no-cam-view trend in all its fleet. Even CX has tail cam in its new 350s. But SQs are less densely configured, so that probably explains why you felt that Y is not so cramped. I hope to find out myself soon.

I don't travel as frequent as you here seem to do. And when I travel for work, I don't always end up getting an SQ flight. We opt for the cheapest factoring everything not only the airfare. So you can guess, I fly with almost any airline that flies to where I get sent to. Flights with SQ, even if its always at Y are always my most memorable ones.

Then I stumbled upon this forum last week.

Comment

Thanks, Ph Man! Glad you enjoyed reading it!

It is security lighting at the border.

Not only is it visible from aircraft, it is visible from space!

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=86725

Sounds like you travel a lot too! SQ are adding A350's to the fleet at a very rapid rate...it should get easier and easier to select routes where the A350 is flying.

I have very fond memories of SIN-EWR non-stop in exec economy on the A345. Also looking forward to SIN-JFK on the A350 ULR!
                            Thanks for this yflyer. Next time I travel to Europe, I will watch out for this. I wish I've known this before.

Just a correction, I didn't mean I have flown all of SQ planes, like each one of them. I meant each type - 772, 773, 77W, 333, 380 but not the 350. We should ask to be invited for a future JFK inaugurals for an ultra long haul experience with her.

Comment

Then I stumbled upon this forum last week.
                              Welcome to the kampong!

Just a correction, I didn't mean I have flown all of SQ planes, like each one of them. I meant each type - 772, 773, 77W, 333, 380 but not the 350. We should ask to be invited for a future JFK inaugurals for an ultra long haul experience with her.
                              Of course...I did interpret it as types and not individual aircraft. Although there are probably a few folks here who track the rego's of each and every aircraft they fly...

Inaugurals are fun. I enjoy reading the TR's covering inaugurals that other SQTalkers have attended. I've only done one myself...a very low key inaugural, which I flew on without realizing it: QR's first A350-operated flight from DOH to DXB. Quite low profile...just a water cannon salute on arrival.

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                              Learn something new everyday... Five years of flying between Singapore-Norway and seeing this all the time and never realised what it actually was!!
                              Thumbs up that you actually noticed it, Pinkfloyd! Most folks don't even notice...

The other big thing along the Indo-Pak border is the daily border parade at Wagah, where the PK and IN border guards put on a real show when they open and close the border crossing each day. Not visible from outer space, though, you actually need to head to Wagah to watch this (And apparently many do...). Many videos of the parade on Youtube, including this one (The real fun starts at 3:31).
                              Last edited by yflyer; 30 December 2016, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Thumbs up that you actually noticed it, Pinkfloyd! Most folks don't even notice...

The other big thing along the Indo-Pak border is the daily border parade at Wagah, where the PK and IN border guards put on a real show when they open and close the border crossing each day. Not visible from outer space, though, you actually need to head to Wagah to watch this (And apparently many do...). Many videos of the parade on Youtube, including this one (The real fun starts at 3:31).
                                Seen the video some time back, thanks for that! They do get very... err... expressive?!?
                                God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Working...
                                X